Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Costco -- Finally, new (and old) box sets, some at good prices!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Costco -- Finally, new (and old) box sets, some at good prices!

Old 08-15-06, 11:05 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 279
Costco -- Finally, new (and old) box sets, some at good prices!

Just hit my local Costco and found the following sets and prices. Some they haven't had before, while others are back, some at cheaper prices. At any rate, it was good to see so many sets at Costco for a change.

Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 3: $31.89
Mr. Moto Volume 1: $29.89
The Elvis Collection: $31.89
The Miss Marple Film Collection: $31.89
The Clark Gable Collection (new 3-disc set): $29.89

WB Signature Collections:
James Stewart: $31.89
Ronald Reagan: $31.89
Clark Gable: $36.29
Cary Grant: $21.99
Judy Garland (7 movies!): $21.99
Alfred Hitchcock: $64.99
Greta Garbo: $64.99
Humphrey Bogart: $64.99 (lousy price for the content)
Henry Fonda: $25.99
Bogart & Bacall: $25.99
The Escapist is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 12:28 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,053
Originally Posted by The Escapist
Just hit my local Costco and found the following sets and prices. Some they haven't had before, while others are back, some at cheaper prices. At any rate, it was good to see so many sets at Costco for a change.

Film Noir Classic Collection Volume 3: $31.89
Mr. Moto Volume 1: $29.89
The Elvis Collection: $31.89
The Miss Marple Film Collection: $31.89
The Clark Gable Collection (new 3-disc set): $29.89

WB Signature Collections:
James Stewart: $31.89
Ronald Reagan: $31.89
Clark Gable: $36.29
Cary Grant: $21.99
Judy Garland (7 movies!): $21.99
Alfred Hitchcock: $64.99
Greta Garbo: $64.99
Humphrey Bogart: $64.99 (lousy price for the content)
Henry Fonda: $25.99
Bogart & Bacall: $25.99
Was Humphrey Bogart Volume 1 or Volume 2. Both are not due to be released until October. Volume 1 contains previous releases like Casablanca
Volume 2 contains new to DVD stuff like the 3 disc Maltese Falcon.
Classic Films is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 01:41 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
Posts: 823
I was hoping for the Tough Guys set, but Film Noir 3 is certainly good news. I could also go for Bogie & Bacall & Stewart. Thanks!
JiM T is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 01:49 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 279
Was Humphrey Bogart Volume 1 or Volume 2. Both are not due to be released until October. Volume 1 contains previous releases like Casablanca
Volume 2 contains new to DVD stuff like the 3 disc Maltese Falcon.


I believe the Bogart set was the 2003 "The Bogart Collection" (with Casablanca/The Maltese Falcon/To Have and Have Not/The Big Sleep/The Treasure of the Sierra Madre), so I shouldn't have called it the Signature Collection. My bad -- writing names and prices down too fast.

Which brings up a point -- Bogart is being repackaged and repackaged way too many times. Hope we don't have to buy whole sets just to get one or two titles we don't have.
The Escapist is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 02:01 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 979
Bogart & Bacall: $25.99

It might be time for me to get this.
yeldarb367 is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 03:31 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,975
You forgot The Chaplin Collection Vol 2 for $68.99.
dx23 is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 04:23 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 226
I think I saw the Jayne Mansfield set there for about $30.
gribalski is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 08:02 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,053
Chaplin Volum1 1 and 2 were $65 each at my Costco.
Doris Day set also $65 .
Classic Films is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 08:22 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,053
Buffy season sets $18.99 with instant $6 per season coupon .Discount shows up at checkout.
Classic Films is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 09:45 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by Classic Films
Buffy season sets $18.99 with instant $6 per season coupon .Discount shows up at checkout.
Did they have this deal for Angel sets as well? I just bought all five of those last week at [email protected] -- if this is a new deal this week I wonder if I could return them & repurchase (they're all still sealed, no fool I...)
The Escapist is offline  
Old 08-15-06, 09:51 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,053
Sign said Buffy Seasons 1 - 7 . It is possible that it could include Angel but I did not buy any of these sets so I really don't know.
Classic Films is offline  
Old 08-16-06, 12:38 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
BSTNFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NW of Boston
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by The Escapist
Did they have this deal for Angel sets as well? I just bought all five of those last week at [email protected] -- if this is a new deal this week I wonder if I could return them & repurchase (they're all still sealed, no fool I...)
If they have the same item number, it will work.
BSTNFAN is offline  
Old 08-16-06, 04:13 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
If they have the same item number, it will work.
My Costco had signs specifically showing the different item numbers for Buffy and Angel/Roswell.

I tried Roswell and it scanned at full sticker price
nohoaudiovideo is offline  
Old 08-16-06, 05:38 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 110
Buffy season sets $18.99 with instant $6 per season coupon
Does this mean $18.99 after the coupon or $12.99 after coupon
joekun is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 12:13 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 674
This is most excellent. I'm glad that Costco has returned to form. I too had noticed that their section had grown meager and had actually been shrunk down. I went yesterday and picked up the Cary Grant, James Stewart, Film Noir Set 3, and the Pink Panter Movie Collection. I was hoping for a Chaplin number 1, but didn't see any. I also wanted to pick up a Hitchcock for a gift, but all the copies they had seemed pretty beat up. I'm planning on going back and picking up a Garland though. I also am thinking about getting the Mr. Moto set.
hiccup is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 11:23 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,053
Originally Posted by joekun
Does this mean $18.99 after the coupon or $12.99 after coupon
$18.99 after the coupon. $24.99 before coupon.
Classic Films is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 01:46 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 136
I talked to a couple managers at the local Costco (in Colorado) as they were looking over the DVD section. They were not so optimistic that the general inventory would grow back to where it used to be and claimed that DVD revenues had been dropping. Box sets are still popular, but at least one of them felt there is no need for Costco to carry stuff that's already very low cost (like the stacks of under $10 stuff). They also blamed the general shrinkage of the DVD section on the lack of decent new releases.

I suggested they start carrying Criterion stuff, but they had no idea what I was talking about.
Harold Chasen is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 01:50 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,038
Originally Posted by Classic Films
Buffy season sets $18.99 with instant $6 per season coupon .Discount shows up at checkout.
This is kinda confusing. Is this a physical coupon or instant discount/rebate? It sounds like instant discount so no physical coupon necessary. Please clarify.
GMan2819 is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 03:09 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,271
Originally Posted by Harold Chasen
I talked to a couple managers at the local Costco (in Colorado) as they were looking over the DVD section. They were not so optimistic that the general inventory would grow back to where it used to be and claimed that DVD revenues had been dropping. Box sets are still popular, but at least one of them felt there is no need for Costco to carry stuff that's already very low cost (like the stacks of under $10 stuff). They also blamed the general shrinkage of the DVD section on the lack of decent new releases.

I suggested they start carrying Criterion stuff, but they had no idea what I was talking about.
I'd rather they keep the box sets and special releases (Criterion, etc) rather than the new releases. Who pays $17-19 for a new release when you can get it for (usually) $4+ cheaper at CC or BB?
TheMovieman is online now  
Old 08-17-06, 06:56 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by GMan2819
This is kinda confusing. Is this a physical coupon or instant discount/rebate? It sounds like instant discount so no physical coupon necessary. Please clarify.
Correct. Automatically comes off, no coupon neccessary.
Same as Simpsons season 8.
nohoaudiovideo is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 07:27 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,209
How much does it cost to join Costco? I've never been, but frequently see deals like this on here that might make it worth it.
Living Dead is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 07:42 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 1,045
Originally Posted by Living Dead
How much does it cost to join Costco? I've never been, but frequently see deals like this on here that might make it worth it.
I think last time I renewed it was $35 for a year. That's for the basic membership
wildman1037 is offline  
Old 08-17-06, 08:22 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,038
Originally Posted by wildman1037
I think last time I renewed it was $35 for a year. That's for the basic membership
Membership is $50 for Goldstar & Business. Executive is $100.
GMan2819 is offline  
Old 08-19-06, 03:52 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,209
What's the difference between memberships? Does one get you better prices than the others?
Living Dead is offline  
Old 08-19-06, 03:56 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,209
Nevermind, I just checked their site.
Living Dead is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.