DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

TOWER- JUDY GARLAND signature (7 disc)- 24.99

Old 08-15-06, 09:12 AM

TOWER- JUDY GARLAND signature (7 disc)- 24.99

i saw the errol flynn signature WB 7 disc set was posted earlier but this wasn't in the post. there might be other WB signature sets involved but i'm too much of a slacker to do the search.
free shipping on orders over $20 too.
it was listed as IN STOCK.
Old 08-15-06, 09:21 AM

I'm not too much of a slacker (or, I'm just really bored at work):

John Wayne, Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant, Judy Garland and Errol Flyn Signature Collections are all $24.99.
Old 08-15-06, 09:34 AM

Anybody wanna convince me to get the Cary Grant set?
Old 08-15-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://Anybody wanna convince me to ...ary Grant set?

Well, the Sony boxset is superior, but the Warners is nothing to sneeze at. My Favorite Wife is one of the best screwball comedies, and Destination Tokyo is a great war flick. The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer and Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House are from the post-war era when Grant played it a little safer with his comedies, but they're still entertaining (and both feature Myrna Loy, which is nice). As for Night & Day ... well, it's a golden age biopic, so it's 90% whitewash by volume.
Old 08-15-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone have a link ? I was unable to find the Judy Garland Signature Collection searching under Judy Garland or Signature. I saw all the others mentioned.
Old 08-15-06, 11:03 AM

so it appears the link is dead now when i try.
this just happened with overstock last week when they added this garland box set for $23.XX...they had like, 2 of them or something and sold out immediately!
this is the first time (besides overstock last week) that i've seen the garland box set kicked out with the other WB sets (grant, taylor et al). i've been looking at bjs & sams for the $18-$20 deal they had a number of weeks ago. i'm hoping warner will kick out the marilyn monroe 5 disc set soon too (fingers crossed),,,
Old 08-15-06, 11:03 AM

Judy Garland seems to be gone now, for some reason. She was there before, I assure you.
Old 08-15-06, 11:07 AM

Got Judy Garland at Costco today for $21.99. Some other good buys on Signature Collections there.
Old 08-15-06, 11:11 AM

it was definitely there...i ordered one.
i'm sure, like overstock, they only had a few.
keep lookin' at other vendors... this wave of early warner sets are all geting kicked out this summer. i ordered some from dvd pacific and picked others up at bjs back in june.
for some reason the garland one wasn't included in early summer sales.
amazon just had this for $39. i'm sure it's gonna crop up but act fast when you see it!
7 disc for that price is great, even if you own a couple of the movies and trade or ebay them.
Old 08-15-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2986445

The Judy Garland set it gone.
Old 08-15-06, 05:09 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My Judy garland shipped earlier today. I missed it at overstock.
Old 08-15-06, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by elektrohog
so it appears the link is dead now when i try.
this just happened with overstock last week when they added this garland box set for $23.XX...they had like, 2 of them or something and sold out immediately!
this is the first time (besides overstock last week) that i've seen the garland box set kicked out with the other WB sets (grant, taylor et al). i've been looking at bjs & sams for the $18-$20 deal they had a number of weeks ago. i'm hoping warner will kick out the marilyn monroe 5 disc set soon too (fingers crossed),,,
I agree on the Monroe set. I was hoping to pick up one of these when I came home, but I guess I missed out. The ones at my Tower were all messed up (heavily). I was at my Costco today, but didn't have enough money for it and the other sets I got so I'll just go back tomorrow and pick up one.
Old 08-16-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm hoping warner will kick out the marilyn monroe 5 disc set soon too (fingers crossed),,,
The Marilyn Monroe sets are all from Fox. The Anniversary Collection (I assume that's the one you mean, though it's five films and a bonus disc) is going for $30 at Amazon and DDD right now.
Old 08-16-06, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The Marilyn Monroe sets are all from Fox. The Anniversary Collection (I assume that's the one you mean, though it's five films and a bonus disc) is going for $30 at Amazon and DDD right now.

there is a WB monroe set...it's actually 5 movies and 1 bonus docu disc (a 6 disc set)- so i mis-spoke when i said 5 disc set. WB seems to be kicking out the individual titles from the box set at a cheaper price, which is a good sign the 6 disc set will be kicked out next- as was the case with steve mcqueen & signature box sets of late from WB and the various sales from various vendors (sams, bjs, dvdpacific, costco) around a $20 price tag...
Old 08-16-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

all of the monroe sets are from fox...two diamond collections, and the newer anniversary collection
Old 08-16-06, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
all of the monroe sets are from fox...two diamond collections, and the newer anniversary collection
i see that now i did a search! no marilyn WB set.
Old 08-16-06, 01:13 PM

ok, now i did some research....
i have a WB flyer/insert i'm looking at that has the entire first wave of these box sets, many of which have been kicked out already at around a $20 price tag- and it's obvious which ones are yet to happen or are happening now at various vendors as these threads have proven.

here's box sets from the WB flyer/insert i've bought or seen earlier this summer for around $20-
errol flynn sig.
cary grant sig.
bogart (4 disc, early crappy single disc versions, not traditional sig. package)
tracy & hepburn sig.
liz taylor sig.
james dean
gene kelly
marz bros.
cole porter musicals
broadway to hollywood musicals
classic comedies
tarzan
that's entertainment
essential steve mcqueen
barbara streisand

some WB box sets from the flyer /insert that are cropping up now at sales (i'd hold out for sams, costco, bjs $18-$20 price tag if you're looking for a bargain, that's IF their prices from earlier in the summer apply to these sets too- amazon has some of these sets marked down now, but for much more).
judy garland sig.
the elvis collection
doris day
chaplin vol 1
chaplin vol 2

heres some additional titles from this wave of WB box sets listed on the flyer/insert they have yet to kick out (perhaps some of these did come out cheaper earlier in the summer or recently, but i personally have yet to come across them at the costco, sams, bjs $20ish price)...keeping my fingers crossed they might show up in the coming months.
great garbo sig.
astaire & rogers vol1
joan crawford
bette davis
harold lloyd
film noir vol1
controversial classic vol1
gangsters vol1
val lewton
thin man
sam peckinpah
martin scorsese
oliver stone
john waters

there are even more listed on the flyer (police academy box, lethal weapon box, vacation box, teenage mutant ninja turtles box)...i'm sure these might show up at really cheap prices soon enough.

Last edited by elektrohog; 08-16-06 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Essential Steve McQueen & James Dean Collection sets are priced around $21 @ familyvideo.com

I've never ordered from them before but shipping is 99 cents on every order.
Old 08-16-06, 05:10 PM

I saw Chaplin II at my Costco, but no Chaplin I and that's the one I particularily want.
Old 08-16-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

chaplin II i need....
Old 08-17-06, 12:51 AM
MGR

For the Judy Garland Signature Collection, if there's a Tower Records store near you, you might check in there for it. I got one earlier today for the $24.99 price.

Most of the other 24.99 sale Signature Collections were on the shelf as well.
Old 08-17-06, 11:05 AM

just got my box set in the mail today from this tower sale.
free shipping and it only took 2 days!
in mint condition too!
this is only the 2nd time i've ordered from tower in about 6 years and i'm quite pleased!