Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '06

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sailor_moon
I'm probably going to cave on Inu Yasha, Gungrave, and Lain. Those deals are just too good. I'll probably throw a couple of TokyoPop manga in too with the in stock sale going on.
I cannot vouch for InuYasha, but Gungrave and Lain are both awesome. You're a lucky man being able to get both sets for $75.
Old 06-22-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
There is also an X TV remix boxset coming out, which will be a digipack book-like set and not just the individual cases in a big box... and Geneon will be offering a special limited version as well (same price and product number, similar to other Geneon limited extras). Just a FYI for people who aren't aware, Maison Ikkoku later volumes are all rightstuf exclusives (it's a great series that unfortunately just never really found a big fanbase here, despite being a Rumiko Takahashi work).
Old 06-22-06, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I cannot vouch for InuYasha, but Gungrave and Lain are both awesome. You're a lucky woman being able to get both sets for $75.
Fixed.

Old 06-22-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sailor_moon
Fixed.

Always nice to see more ladies into anime. I should have known based on your screen name.
Old 06-22-06, 12:06 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 536 Likes on 472 Posts
Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Ha ha ha ha.

I'm not sure if I'd be into Inu Yasha. I'm not really into the uber-long series. The longest series I've watched are: Rurouni Kenshin (never finished), Marmalade Boy, and Fullmetal Alchemist. Working on Get Backers.
I actually have seen all 167 episodes and the 4 movies. If you don't like "uber-long series," then Inu Yasha is probably not for you. Some people don't like Inu Yasha because of its slow story lines, repetitive recaps of certain events of the series, and the filler episodes. If you enjoy Rumiko Takahashi's work (Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku,...) you should enjoy the series. Be warned that by the rate that they are releasing the boxsets, it's probably going take at least 6 of them to finish up the series.
Old 06-22-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Us gals gotta stick together. You know, not all DVDTalkers are men!

fujishig: I always wanted to get into Maison Ikkoku - It seems like one of those series I would really enjoy, but it's tough for me to invest in such long series (especially $-wise), but if I did decide to invest in any longer series, that would be one of them!
Old 06-22-06, 12:45 PM

Is this Inuyasha collection the same that was offered for $50 during the Rightstuf christmas sale? I'm a sucker for "Limited Edition" things, and seeing it's $10 cheaper from Christmas...

If the necklace is Inuyasha's fang necklace, that would be badass. Answered my own question. There's a picture of it on animeondvd, it appears it is indeed it. Pretty cool. Time to start selling things on eBay!
Old 06-22-06, 12:48 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I cannot vouch for InuYasha, but Gungrave and Lain are both awesome. You're a lucky man being able to get both sets for $75.
I originally wasn't planning on getting Gungrave or Lain, but I caved in and end up getting them both thanks to this forum!
Old 06-22-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I can understand the hesitance to get into longer series... they are usually a huge investment, take years to come out, and then how often are we really going to be able to rewatch them (of course, at my current rate of buying anime, when will I ever even catch up with the stuff I haven't watched, much less rewatch anything? But I digress). For instance, I loved Dragonball as a kid... watched the non-subbed Japanese broadcast tapes, collected the untranslated manga, etc. I was also a huge Ranma 1/2 fan, and bought the first few seasons on VHS... but both series are just too long to buy/watch again unless there's some killer deal.

However, with something like Maison Ikkoku... I would highly recommend trying out the first boxset when you get the chance. It's an older show, which may put off some people, but you get a pretty good idea what the show is about in the first season. In addition, it's available at other retailers, so if you don't want to buy from rightstuf (boggles the mind, but I know they haven't had a Viz sale in a while, so I understand) you can get it from DDD or whomever. Or you can pick up a volume of the manga, but I understand that's not for everyone, and this is a DVD forum after all. I'm just happy Viz was able to come to an agreement with Rightstuf to get it all released. After we (finally) finish Fruits Basket, it's the next anime I'm going to try to get my wife hooked on (that and Kamichu and maybe KOR).

As far as the Inuyasha sets go: there have been complaints of video problems on the season sets, mainly because they seemingly crammed more episode per disk than the individual release, but I haven't really noticed. Also, the LE item is pretty useless... it's pretty much the regular boxset with a bead necklace. I had preordered the LE first season set without really researching what was in it, but skipped over the LE for the second season (rubber stamps). You can always catch it on Cartoon Network to get a taste of it, though even the source (the manga) kinda meanders at times, and you start getting a feeling of deja vu as the scenarios start repeating themselves.
Old 06-22-06, 01:02 PM
WTK

This is just a heads up on the two upcoming issues of Animerica magazine. According to http://www.animerica.com/images/Anim...06mediakit.pdf, the two free issues will be in Best Buy by 8/1/06 and 11/7/06. However there is no word on whether there will be another 30% off anime coupon inside.
Old 06-22-06, 01:06 PM

Inuyasha is definately one of my favorite anime shows ever. I just love the whole interaction between Kagome/Inuyasha's world. It's able to be comedic and serious, I love it. I've seen up to around episode 120, and enjoyed every minute of it. Unfortunately, I cancelled my cable and haven't seen the rest of the series.

In other news, my s-cry-ed box has been "fulfilled". Yay! I'll let you know what condition is comes in as soon as I get it.
Old 06-22-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

fujishig: I definitely plan to at least get the first box set at some point. And it being an older series doesn't bother me at all. I have a strong feeling that it's right up my alley based on reviews and such.

I think I'll hold off on the Inu Yasha box set. I don't need it, and I've been spending too much money as it is!

My S-Cry-Ed Box shipped, too (I caved right after SBJ posted that the # was going down quite rapidly). I figured, $10 isn't that much even if it turns out not to be what we all think/hope. I'll let you guys know what condition mine arrives in as well.

And thanks, WTK--about to update with that. You're so full of knowledge! Thanks a lot for your contributions.

You guys are great. I love how pretty much anytime someone has a question regarding anime, someone else can pop up and answer. Thanks for all your contributions.
Old 06-22-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
I originally wasn't planning on getting Gungrave or Lain, but I caved in and end up getting them both thanks to this forum!
That's our mission statement-"to bankrupt every Otaku that stumbles into this thread". Here's a good deal at RS for those of you that collects limited edition figures[Appleseed with steel case and figure for $24.99]-

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6.../65580/4/153/0
Old 06-22-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
This is just a heads up on the two upcoming issues of Animerica magazine. According to http://www.animerica.com/images/Anim...06mediakit.pdf, the two free issues will be in Best Buy by 8/1/06 and 11/7/06. However there is no word on whether there will be another 30% off anime coupon inside.
Thanks for the heads-up. Pretty please with sugar on top, let there be a 30% coupon. I would love to be able to scoop up both of the Gantz thinpaks for $31.50 each.
Old 06-22-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Us gals gotta stick together. You know, not all DVDTalkers are men!

Is that an ironclad rule?
Old 06-22-06, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
There is also an X TV remix boxset coming out, which will be a digipack book-like set and not just the individual cases in a big box... and Geneon will be offering a special limited version as well (same price and product number, similar to other Geneon limited extras). Just a FYI for people who aren't aware, Maison Ikkoku later volumes are all rightstuf exclusives (it's a great series that unfortunately just never really found a big fanbase here, despite being a Rumiko Takahashi work).
Damn...I always wondered why I could never find Vol. 4 anywhere (kept waiting for it to show up on DDD). Well, I guess this means I may have to break down and pick up Vols. 4-8 from RightStuf. I suppose I could hope that they'd show up on the Weekly Specials one day or wait for the next Viz sale.
Old 06-22-06, 03:58 PM

Well, good news for anyone looking for Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. A person on the CAG forums said he saw it at Dollar General. I'm guessing it might be the edited one? I'm not sure.

Bad news for me is that I just bought Endless Waltz with my "We're tired of you yelling at us for screwing up your Divergence Eve order, so here's $13 from DVDpacific" money earlier today. $3
Old 06-22-06, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, that Inuyasha set is a great deal. Too bad i've spent enough money as it is this month on anime and other stuff. Probably won't get it.
Old 06-22-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Ndolger]Well, good news for anyone looking for Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. A person on the CAG forums said he saw it at Dollar General. I'm guessing it might be the edited one? I'm not sure.

Bad news for me is that I just bought Endless Waltz with my "We're tired of you yelling at us for screwing up your Divergence Eve order, so here's $13 from DVDpacific" money earlier today. $3
Old 06-22-06, 09:53 PM

If anyone still hasn't ordered the Gungrave boxset, you had better do so now. There's literally only one left in stock.
Old 06-22-06, 10:10 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Man.... I just had to go and blow my DVD budget on the DDD sale by picking up ST:TNG and golden girls for the wife. I so want inuyasha and gungrave but can't afford them now .
Old 06-22-06, 10:13 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by hiccup
If anyone still hasn't ordered the Gungrave boxset, you had better do so now. There's literally only one left in stock.
It's officially sold out now!
Old 06-22-06, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
It's officially sold out now!
Well, then that means it's time to finish up and sell out the Lain set! It would be nice if Shawn over at rightstuf would put Trigun back on sale like he did that one time, just for one more time. That's all I ask.
Old 06-23-06, 07:37 AM

Congrats to all the people who ordered the s-CRY-ed box set and got it dirt cheap (now i'm kicking myself literally haha) .. I got some of my DDD the other day.. but i'm still missing two things.. The Full Metal Panic boxset is backordered, so i have to wait for that.. but the D.N. Angel thinpack i brought was shipped the same day as the others (and i paid the extra 5 something for 3 to 5 day delivery..) and it's now day 6 and it still hasn't come.. (hopefully it will today or i'm gonna call..) because nobody was home at my house yesterday since i was at work and they usually just put the delivery on the steps... (it has me thinking somebody might of came up and took it.. but hopefully it comes today..) and i pulled the trigger on the Inuyasha box that was mentioned
Old 06-23-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure your DNAngel boxset will arrive in due time, which, while it sucks that it didn't arrive with the rest of your stuff, it's more important that it just gets there. Sometimes my orders from DDD ship out on the same day but arrive on different days. Did you get a tracking number with your order? It seems like you would've if you paid extra, but I'm not certain on that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.