DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   WB Classic Comedies Box Set 24 bucks at DDD! (& Others Cheap - Mothers Day Sale) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/461879-wb-classic-comedies-box-set-24-bucks-ddd-others-cheap-mothers-day-sale.html)

NoirFan 04-10-06 07:40 PM

WB Classic Comedies Box Set 24 bucks at DDD!

Part of a Mother's Day Sale:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=WBD069736

That is an incredible deal.

hondo21 04-10-06 07:48 PM

Wow. Sure is. Too bad I already have it. :(

MovieExchange 04-10-06 07:58 PM

Great price on North & South in there also. Gotta get ahold of a friend that likes AbFab, he might want the French & Saunders stuff.

Sean O'Hara 04-10-06 08:03 PM

For the record, here's the complete sale. The Classic Comedies box looks like the best deal, though the Cary Grant Signature Collection is a good buy as well.

jeffrey r 04-10-06 08:05 PM

Yeah, may need to jump on North and South at that price. I remember really enjoying that series when it was on TV.

arod1171 04-10-06 08:22 PM

Hepburn/Tracy is 19.99 at Amazon. I was hoping to pick up the Cary Grant for 30.00 at the 20% sale, but $24.00 is a steal. Thanks OP and DDD.

IamLegend 04-10-06 08:24 PM

pullled trigger on the comedy set..thanks!

justbarelymovin 04-10-06 09:07 PM

Wow, great deal. Thanks a lot! Too bad I just bought the two-pack at Walmart the other day with the single disc (and opened it). Wasn't expecting to come across a deal like this anytime soon.

woemcats 04-10-06 11:12 PM

Wow, I paid like double this, and THAT was a decent deal at the time. May jump on the Grant set.

fliggil 04-10-06 11:23 PM

Why must all these sales come about as I'm attempting to save money for this summer, thanks for the post, might scrap some money together for this deal.

Jtnguyen12 04-10-06 11:25 PM

The box set is incredible deal ever. Most online stores & local stores have Bringing Up Baby: Special Edition & Philadelphia Story, The: Special Edition for $20 Each.

Time to place my order ;)

DonnachaOne 04-10-06 11:30 PM

Hmm, sweet. Are these DVDs different from other, potentially better versions?

jpdude 04-11-06 12:39 AM

thanks OP, i didn't hesitate one bit for this deal....awesome!

Jtnguyen12 04-11-06 01:13 AM

CLASSIC MUSICALS COLLECTION: Broadway To Hollywood (5 Packs) for $24 is awsome deal too ;)

yeldarb367 04-11-06 01:54 AM

Damn that is a good deal.

chente 04-11-06 02:00 AM

Ordered Cary Grant Signature and WB Classic Comedies. These sales are killing me but they are too good to pass up.

tantheman 04-11-06 02:17 AM

The Cary Grant & Elizabeth Taylor sets used to be $19.99 at Amazon and DDD a few months ago.

MScottM 04-11-06 07:41 AM

Ordered the Classic Comidies set. Thanks OP.

Sean O'Hara 04-11-06 10:16 AM

Hmm, sweet. Are these DVDs different from other, potentially better versions?
The Warner sets (Classic Comedies, Classic Musicals, the various Signature Collections) are identical to the individual releases. In fact, the Tracy & Hepburn collection contains a bonus disc not available separately (I'm also not sure if all the films in that set are available individually).

Sweet Baby James 04-11-06 10:23 AM

No love for the Lifetime Intimate Portrait of the Golden Girls?-wink-

Argentoholic 04-11-06 12:29 PM

I hope the Gangsters set is 25 bucks during Father's day.

MEJHarrison 04-11-06 02:12 PM

I might just have to get the Cary Grant set to go along with the Sony Cary Grant set I just picked up. And I've had the Broadway to Hollywood set on my wishlist for ages. :banana:

Jtnguyen12 04-11-06 04:30 PM

CLASSIC MUSICALS COLLECTION: Broadway To Hollywood (5 Packs). 2 movies is 2 disc special edition worth $20 Each and 3 regular movies (1 Disc) worth $15 Each.

Should i go for it or should i wait for 20% off sale! I wonder the price go up when the time 20% off sale start ??

illennium 04-11-06 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
CLASSIC MUSICALS COLLECTION: Broadway To Hollywood (5 Packs). 2 movies is 2 disc special edition worth $20 Each and 3 regular movies (1 Disc) worth $15 Each.

Should i go for it or should i wait for 20% off sale! I wonder the price go up when the time 20% off sale start ??

There is nothing to wonder about. This is a limited-time sale and the price will go up long before the 20%-off sale starts.

justbarelymovin 04-11-06 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
There is nothing to wonder about. This is a limited-time sale and the price will go up long before the 20%-off sale starts.

Seconded. No brainer. This sale will be long over by the time the 20% off sale begins. I wish I could afford it at the moment, but I'm going to have to make due with just the Comedies Collection for now. :)

MEJHarrison 04-11-06 06:51 PM

I grabbed the Cary Grant set, but passed on the musical set. I'd love both, but I'm swimming in unwatched DVDs and have picked up too much lately. Still, I couldn't pass up at least one set at that price.

Sean O'Hara 04-11-06 07:05 PM

Besides which, DDD isn't crazy enough to run two concurrent sales on the same product. Even if this sale was still going on the day before the 20% off started, it'd be over the next day.

Come on, this is an unbelievably good sale, even by DDD standards. Holding out for a better price is silly.

aup 04-11-06 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Come on, this is an unbelievably good sale, even by DDD standards. Holding out for a better price is silly.

I bought several of these sets (priced $24.99) at $17.99 at BJ's in November last year. I seem to remember that Amazon had very similar prices at that time. (It stuck in my mind because I thought at first BJ's prices were unbelievable.) So I personally do not consider prices on any of the sets other than the Classic Comedies set to be unbelievably good. The Cary Grant Signature collection is probably OK. The others are far from the lowest they have been in the past or are likely to be in the future, IMHO.
aup

jeffrey r 04-11-06 09:12 PM

On a lark, I checked Tower.com, and they have the Classic Comedies for $24.99. Using some of the coupon codes floating around, that may be a decent option for some folks.

It's funny, because Tower has the 1-disc Philadelphia Story for $17.99, or the 2-disc Special Edition for $22.99. So for $2 more you get the 2-disc special edition of Philadelphia Story, plus of course the other 5 films.

Operator13 04-12-06 07:18 AM

It's times like these that I thank myself for holding off on certain purchases. Purchased the Comedy Collection, and I'm leaning towards the Grant and musiclals sets even though I own various titles from both. The price I paid for those titles is about twice as much as what DDD is asking for those two sets combined. Sick, I tell ya.

Thanks so much for posting.

Jaymole 04-12-06 08:42 AM

I am actually purchasing the Classic Comedies set for my Mom (Cary Grant is her favorite actor and she already has the Grant boxset). Am I the only one buying for their mom? That is who this sale is for!:)

Jtnguyen12 04-12-06 06:42 PM

DDD shipped Classic Comedies Set :)

I wonder when the sales is OVER cuz i won't get my check till next week :(

MEJHarrison 04-12-06 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Am I the only one buying for their mom? That is who this sale is for!:)

Mom can bite me. The only DVD she ever got me was the Scarface DVD. Then she not only didn't get the nice one so I could have the 32 version, so also got me full frame version.

Classic Films 04-12-06 10:08 PM

Tower also has the Broadway to Hollywood Classic Musicals ( Bandwagon and Easter Parade 2 disc sets included) for $24.99 the same as DDD. I guess it means the the sale is coming form Warner Bros. rather than the retailers. I guess this is like at Christmas where the Warner 2 disc sets were $11.99 at Amazon and others. Still a great deal and no tax for most at DDD. You should check other places like Amazon for similar deals.

Dabaomb 04-12-06 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Mom can bite me. The only DVD she ever got me was the Scarface DVD. Then she not only didn't get the nice one so I could have the 32 version, so also got me full frame version.

:lol:, I'm sure that your mom loves you too!

Buford T Pusser 04-12-06 11:34 PM

What's in the box? DDD has a "socket error" right now.

historyavenger 04-13-06 01:41 AM

thanks OP

picked up north & south

raining_helper 04-13-06 09:47 AM

The $24 for the Classic Comedies set is an especially good deal for Canadians as this box is not available up here at all. Only some stores carry it as an 'import' at high prices. IIRC there was a distribution issue in Canada as Warner did not have the rights to release one of the films in the set up here (To Be or Not to Be).

So, I orderd one (and the upcoming Emilio Miraglia Killer Queen Set).
Thanks for the heads-up OP.

leeta 04-13-06 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
What's in the box? DDD has a "socket error" right now.

I believe this is an 8-Disc set. Here's a link to it at Amazon where it sells for $61.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Nicegreen 04-13-06 12:48 PM

Of course I just bought the Classic Comedies set two months ago, paid about $45 for it.