DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   WB Classic Comedies Box Set 24 bucks at DDD! (& Others Cheap - Mothers Day Sale) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/461879-wb-classic-comedies-box-set-24-bucks-ddd-others-cheap-mothers-day-sale.html)

MEJHarrison 04-11-06 06:51 PM

I grabbed the Cary Grant set, but passed on the musical set. I'd love both, but I'm swimming in unwatched DVDs and have picked up too much lately. Still, I couldn't pass up at least one set at that price.

Sean O'Hara 04-11-06 07:05 PM

There is nothing to wonder about. This is a limited-time sale and the price will go up long before the 20%-off sale starts.
Besides which, DDD isn't crazy enough to run two concurrent sales on the same product. Even if this sale was still going on the day before the 20% off started, it'd be over the next day.

Come on, this is an unbelievably good sale, even by DDD standards. Holding out for a better price is silly.

aup 04-11-06 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Come on, this is an unbelievably good sale, even by DDD standards. Holding out for a better price is silly.

I bought several of these sets (priced $24.99) at $17.99 at BJ's in November last year. I seem to remember that Amazon had very similar prices at that time. (It stuck in my mind because I thought at first BJ's prices were unbelievable.) So I personally do not consider prices on any of the sets other than the Classic Comedies set to be unbelievably good. The Cary Grant Signature collection is probably OK. The others are far from the lowest they have been in the past or are likely to be in the future, IMHO.
aup

jeffrey r 04-11-06 09:12 PM

On a lark, I checked Tower.com, and they have the Classic Comedies for $24.99. Using some of the coupon codes floating around, that may be a decent option for some folks.

It's funny, because Tower has the 1-disc Philadelphia Story for $17.99, or the 2-disc Special Edition for $22.99. So for $2 more you get the 2-disc special edition of Philadelphia Story, plus of course the other 5 films.

Operator13 04-12-06 07:18 AM

It's times like these that I thank myself for holding off on certain purchases. Purchased the Comedy Collection, and I'm leaning towards the Grant and musiclals sets even though I own various titles from both. The price I paid for those titles is about twice as much as what DDD is asking for those two sets combined. Sick, I tell ya.

Thanks so much for posting.

Jaymole 04-12-06 08:42 AM

I am actually purchasing the Classic Comedies set for my Mom (Cary Grant is her favorite actor and she already has the Grant boxset). Am I the only one buying for their mom? That is who this sale is for!:)

Jtnguyen12 04-12-06 06:42 PM

DDD shipped Classic Comedies Set :)

I wonder when the sales is OVER cuz i won't get my check till next week :(

MEJHarrison 04-12-06 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Am I the only one buying for their mom? That is who this sale is for!:)

Mom can bite me. The only DVD she ever got me was the Scarface DVD. Then she not only didn't get the nice one so I could have the 32 version, so also got me full frame version.

Classic Films 04-12-06 10:08 PM

Tower also has the Broadway to Hollywood Classic Musicals ( Bandwagon and Easter Parade 2 disc sets included) for $24.99 the same as DDD. I guess it means the the sale is coming form Warner Bros. rather than the retailers. I guess this is like at Christmas where the Warner 2 disc sets were $11.99 at Amazon and others. Still a great deal and no tax for most at DDD. You should check other places like Amazon for similar deals.

Dabaomb 04-12-06 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Mom can bite me. The only DVD she ever got me was the Scarface DVD. Then she not only didn't get the nice one so I could have the 32 version, so also got me full frame version.

:lol:, I'm sure that your mom loves you too!

Buford T Pusser 04-12-06 11:34 PM

What's in the box? DDD has a "socket error" right now.

historyavenger 04-13-06 01:41 AM

thanks OP

picked up north & south

raining_helper 04-13-06 09:47 AM

The $24 for the Classic Comedies set is an especially good deal for Canadians as this box is not available up here at all. Only some stores carry it as an 'import' at high prices. IIRC there was a distribution issue in Canada as Warner did not have the rights to release one of the films in the set up here (To Be or Not to Be).

So, I orderd one (and the upcoming Emilio Miraglia Killer Queen Set).
Thanks for the heads-up OP.

leeta 04-13-06 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
What's in the box? DDD has a "socket error" right now.

I believe this is an 8-Disc set. Here's a link to it at Amazon where it sells for $61.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Nicegreen 04-13-06 12:48 PM

Of course I just bought the Classic Comedies set two months ago, paid about $45 for it.

leeta 04-13-06 03:43 PM

It is an 8-Disc. The description from DVDAF states -

Classic Comedies Collection
- Bringing Up Baby - Two-Disc Special Edition (1938)
- Philadelphia Story, The - Two-Disc Special Edition (1940)
- Dinner at Eight (1933)
- Libeled Lady (1936)
- Stage Door (1937)
- To Be or Not to Be (1942)

Jtnguyen12 04-13-06 04:46 PM

It's 8 Discs but only 6 movies cuz another 2 movies is Special Edition.

stacyhere 04-14-06 01:11 PM

Thanks OP!

Thanks so much! I got a set for my mom & another for my grandmother for Mother's Day (The Classic Comedies) It says it's a price drop effective April 25th. I wonder if the price will drop this low everywhere?

kingtopher 04-14-06 11:45 PM

Thanks so much for the link. I had actually just looked for the comedies set at a local store since I got my tax return back but they didn't have it in stock anymore. As it turns out, it's a good thing they didn't! This is such a great deal.

Gamelore 04-15-06 12:43 AM

I'm in for North & South.

I'm not getting the comedy set -- don't think I've seen any of those, and I'm not convinced I'd find them incredibly funny. 6 discs of shelf space is a lot to risk on comedy because comedy is so subjective.

Umm, I mean, my mom. I'm not convinced my mom would find them incredibly funny.. yeah...

JMG 04-15-06 12:03 PM

fyi....most of these are at tower.com for the same price[$24]and they have a 15%off special going on thru the weekend!!!

free s&h over $20.....even better....FREE Expedited 2nd Business Day on Orders of $100 or More!*

I just loaded up and saved a xtra $19 bucks!!!

1. Fill your bag with at least $50 worth of
CDs, DVDs, Books, Toys & more! 1. $50 or more

2. Checkout and enter coupon code:
TAXDAY6 2. Use Coupon:
TAXDAY6

3. Save an additional 15% on your order 3. SAVE 15%

I just noticed..$20off if you spend$100.[codeTWRPAL3--its a paypal code but i think anyone can use]

wirebendr 04-25-06 09:27 AM

North and South Collection $24 at DDD

Saw this today for a Mother's Day sale. This is about 50% off what other sites are selling this for. THey are out of stock right now, but will still let you place the order.

MovieExchange 04-25-06 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by wirebendr
Saw this today for a Mother's Day sale. This is about 50% off what other sites are selling this for. THey are out of stock right now, but will still let you place the order.

This deal was posted about a few weeks ago.

wirebendr 04-25-06 01:00 PM

you know.....did a search.....didn't see anything.....give me a break!

ernestrp 04-25-06 01:42 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=461879