Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Buy One, Get One ($17.99) select Warner Special Edition titles at Best Buy 4/2-4/29

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Buy One, Get One ($17.99) select Warner Special Edition titles at Best Buy 4/2-4/29

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a heads up on tracy California store had ALL the ones listed in this thread and multiple copies of each (about 20 or so on the shelves) I purchased 10 and th eonly one that did not ring up was East of Eden although the Mission did. There was no signs are anything but I figured the sale was going on as the shelves were very stocked in these titles. The employees who checked me out also had no clue about the sale but several of them went to put aside a couple for personal purcahse as I was leaving.

thanks orginal poster that was a great find...
Old 04-04-06, 07:33 PM

This doesn't work online?

Just to test it, I put a CUCKOO'S NEST and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE in my cart.

They came up full price, no deal.

Has anyone been successful accessing the sale online?

As for the in-store misadventures, sounds like typical clueless Best Buy. They tried to rip me off almost every time I tried the B1G1F Sony TV box set deal; had a few heated exchanges over that...including one with a CLUELESS blue shirt who insisted the sale was over a week ahead of time...and after I'd just gotten through with his buddy, who insisted that there WAS no sale, since there'd never been any signs
Old 04-04-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Got the following:

One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Giant
The Mission
True Romance
Robin Hood POT
Space Jam

The first one did not ring up according to the offer but was overridden by the cashier. Great deal !! Cant match the $4.99 AR price of TWEC a few weeks ago though, which is when I loaded up on a lot of these 2D sets. Unfortunately not all titles included in the BB offer were included in the TWEC offer. Still, under $10 a pop is not bad for these movies.
Old 04-04-06, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went to my local best buy after work and grabbed, (from the display that was up!),
the mission
east of eden
lost boys
rebel without a cause
and only one set of 2 rang up as B1G1 free...So after a long walk back to the display to convince the cashier that this was indeed the deal , and that there was no specified limit, she adjusted the price for me. Yes a good price @ $9.00 for these titles in this sale-
thanks OP-
Old 04-04-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At BB in Orange Park, couldn't get East of Eden to work. No display up yet but others rang up for B1G1.
Old 04-04-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike01
Snowmaker , when you say list them all are you reffering to all the Batman?
No, all the movies in this sale.

Its just the first Batman that's on the sign. I thought I mentioned that above.
Old 04-04-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wildman1037
Well, I never heard anything about it, but I've liked every movie I've seen with Philip Seymour Hoffman in it. It's also on the IMDB top 250 list, so I thought I'd give it a blind buy. For $9, I can watch it and EBay it, and probably still spend less than a rental...
Tom Cruise is the best thing in the movie. By the time near the end
Spoiler:
when is starts raining frogs
, I was like
Old 04-04-06, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by arod1171
Hi, Bobweiser. Don't even think about not posting these items in spite of the problems that occur. We all appreciate the heads-up and the opportunity to get in on these sales before some titles disappear (I got the last Right Stuff at my BB). There were a few titles that I might have purchased from another source for more money if you hadn't posted the early warning. Also, while I was there I signed up for Reward Zone and purchased a new DVD player as a gift for a great price. So these postings are great for DVDTalkers and BB. Thanks a lot and keep 'em coming.

Thanks arod. Believe me, I won't be holding back if I get the info like this. I owe this board so much after so many (7+!) years on here. It's just nice to finally be returning the favor. Here's the deal on some of these. From what I can make out the Plan-o-gram in Best Buy's system and the information I received included some titles (like East of Eden) that aren't included on the signage. Others are included on the signage (Batman - 1989) that aren't in the plan-o-gram and therefore not on the display. I think this is what's causing problems when some people are getting prices to ring up correctly and some aren't. I can't really explain why it's so inconsistent, but I think to the best of my knowledge BB screwed up the titles on the plan-o with the titles on the signage (surprise). Some stores haven't received the signage yet and that's just adding to the mess. I hope this will clear itself up as this is only the first few days of a promotion that's supposed to run until the 29th. (Apologies for being so long-winded, but I'm just trying to be as thorogh as I can because I feel responsible since I posted this before it hit and want to help everyone.)
Old 04-04-06, 11:44 PM

Thanks Bobweiser! I picked up One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the Batman SE with my $20 giftcard. You can't beat that deal with a stick! (I was tempted by The Mission because I've heard it's a "classic", but didn't know if it would have a re-watchability factor) Perhaps I'll go back later on if the mood strikes me...
Old 04-05-06, 01:00 AM

I went to my local BB and they had no clue about this sale.
Old 04-05-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

no signs or anything at my store. i grabbed magnolia, boogie nights, true romance, and unforgiven. first three aren't available as enrollments at columbia house. they rang up on sale without a problem. with my $5 gc it turned out to be a pretty good deal.
Old 04-05-06, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ltrain
Thanks Bobweiser! I picked up One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the Batman SE with my $20 giftcard. You can't beat that deal with a stick! (I was tempted by The Mission because I've heard it's a "classic", but didn't know if it would have a re-watchability factor) Perhaps I'll go back later on if the mood strikes me...
The awesome Morricone score and the scenary alone make it re-watchable. I'm hoping to pick up East of Eden, Rebel, and Batman for me and Unforgiven for my dad.
Old 04-05-06, 07:11 AM

I called my BB here in Cincy to ask before I drove over. First guy had no idea about the sale, so he called in his supervisor - she knew of it but was sure it wasn't BOGO . . . but then checked her notes and found out it was.

I picked up One Flew Over, Rebel, Unforgiven and Giant. I was going to pick up Batman and Right Stuff as well (which were not a part of the display) but Right Stuff didn't ring up at $17.99 - it came up $24.99. So I may go back to pick up Bats and either Seven or JFK.

Got up to the register and I ended up being charged for three with only one free. I took her over to the display and explained to her that if it's buy one get one, then it's common sense that if I buy two I should get two free . . . she ended up calling in her supervisor and they overrode the system.

A ton of hassle, but getting these for $9 each was worth it in the end! Thanks Bob.
Old 04-05-06, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zwerchfell
I went to my local BB and they had no clue about this sale.
The Best Buy Blueshirts are probably going to be clueless about this (some, not all) because they typically don't find out about these deals unless they are the ones setting up the display. As I've mentioned before, it was supposed to be done as of Sunday, but that doesn't mean it will be. I know my company has requested that if it's not taken care of by Thrusday, then we're supposed to take care of it ourselves and set it up. They have a plan-o-gram for it, but it won't have the pricing, so you're better off waiting until they put up the sign.
Old 04-05-06, 10:11 AM

I went to the Mayfield, OH store last night, after striking out at the Mentor store on Sunday.

They had the display, so I bought East of Eden, Rebel W/O a Cause, Big Red One, and One Flew Over... all 4 were incuded in the display, but East of Eden wasn't listed on the sign.
Sure enough, at the register only 1 title came off the bill. The cashier walked over to the display with me, checked the titles against the sign and agreed to give me East of Eden free since there were at least a dozen copies in the display.
Old 04-05-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First season sets now Warner 2 discs. Time to load up on some of these...
Old 04-05-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to the BB at the water front near Pittsburgh. I asked one guy, and he said, there are no such thing as un-advertised sales, I told him I read it onthe internet and he laughed.
I went to customer service, and explained. she laughed. I said I have seen specials on this website before that were unadvertised, and they are usually correct. she said unless it was bestbuy.com, i shouldn't believe it, and she couldn;t do a price change just because some random website said it was on sale. The original guy came over at this point and leaned on the counter with a smirk on his face. (i really hate this best buy) I said "look, all i want is for you to ring them up and see what the computer says." She grunted ok, the first one rang up 17.99 and she had a suprised look on her face. then the second one rang up 17.99 and she started to look relieved, at least they weren;t bogo. then that grey box came up saying they were bogo. She looked shocked. They other guys eyes got wide and he said "are they really on sale?" She nodded and he was shocked too. They said "where did you hear this, I can't understand why would there be an unadvertised sale?" I said "some random website" and asked if I should pay here, or take it to the front and they said go to the front. I was in line, and they were whispering, and looking at the computer, they called over a manager, he looked a t the computer, and then they pointed at me. I was actually feeling guilty like I hope the people infront of me hurry, then I was like this is bullshit, I'm not doing anything wrong, but it seemed like they were trying to figure out why they didn't know.

I hate best buy, but atleast they didnt try and screw me out of the sale...
Old 04-05-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like stories like that, when the customer knows more than the employee who works there.

Went back to my Best Buy today. The display was finished and right there when you walk in. They had everything that's listed on it except Batman, which was back in its normal section.
Old 04-05-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was in BB on my lunchbreak they had a display up with all the titles mentioned. Picked up Wyatt Earp and Mission.
Old 04-05-06, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I was in line, and they were whispering, and looking at the computer, they called over a manager, he looked a the computer, and then they pointed at me. I was actually feeling guilty like I hope the people infront of me hurry, then I was like this is bullshit, I'm not doing anything wrong, but it seemed like they were trying to figure out why they didn't know.

I hate best buy, but atleast they didnt try and screw me out of the sale...
I agree with snowmaker. Trust me, they were looking at you more in awe than anything else, like how the hell did he know something we didn't. I've had this happen to me a few times when I was privy to a deal through the Internet. Hey, you got your deal and probably forced the blueshirts to call the Big Cheeses and get a display up, which will benefit other consumers.
Old 04-05-06, 08:34 PM

The moral of the story is to trust Bobweiser on all accounts. ;-) jk

Without going into too much detail (mainly because I don't really know if I can get into any trouble for reporting this stuff before it happens and don't want to lose my job over it!) I work in Best Buy, not for Best Buy. We're usually on the ball when it comes to the pricing and have access to the information before the Blueshirts do. Usually things are up in the store awhile before they know what's going on. Keep in mind I'm not picking on the Blueshirts, just stating what's happened in my experiences. Alot of them (the ones I deal with in particular) are on the ball and know what's going on. If they don't, they ask me, and I am supposed to be the go-to guy in cases like this. Of course, this doesn't always happen and usually you hear about these cases where they fight the customer (who is usually correct, mind you) only to find out that they were uninformed and look bad for not knowing the deals in their own stores. Here's my main problem...why did they fight with you at all? Their job is customer service and that includes checking prices on deals when they are asked. I find this very frustrating for a company that needs to do all it can to improve sales since they just cut a bunch of corporate jobs on Tuesday due to slow sales and overspending last year.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a tirade, but I just get a little angry over a deal that Best Buy has already screwed up by mixing titles on the signage and not on the display and vice versa and then they pull something like this.
Old 04-05-06, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Was in BB on my lunchbreak they had a display up with all the titles mentioned. Picked up Wyatt Earp and Mission.

Did these titles come up right in the system, or did they have to do a manual price change? Just curious since Mission isn't on the signage, but on the plan-o-gram for the display.

Also curious if anyone's had luck with Batman, New Jack City, or Right Stuff coming up automatically since they are on the signage, but not the display.
Old 04-05-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bobweiser
Sorry, didn't mean to go on a tirade, but I just get a little angry over a deal that Best Buy has already screwed up by mixing titles on the signage and not on the display and vice versa and then they pull something like this.
I will always bear a grudge against them for rejecting my application on the basis of that silly UNICRU personality test :P
(admittedly I rather like working where I do and prefer the calmer atmosphere...but, damn, I know more than most of the blueshirts there and I've had people come to stores I've worked at specifically looking for me and that sort of thing..it's very silly. Ahem. anyway!)
Old 04-06-06, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bobweiser
Also curious if anyone's had luck with Batman, New Jack City, or Right Stuff coming up automatically since they are on the signage, but not the display.
I had one of the blueshirts check the price on Bats and the Right Stuff before I took them up front since they were not on the display. Bats (with a sticker of $22.99 I think) came up $17.99 but RS still rang up at $24.99.

I'm going to go back today to see if it (Bats) triggers the BOGO.

Oh, and I didn't see this 'sign' that everyone's talking about as well. They had all of the dvds in this deal on a metal rack in front of CS - I don't think anyone in the entire store knew about it.
Old 04-06-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for posting this thread! I picked up:

-East of Eden
-Giant
-Rebel Without A Cause
-The Right Stuff

my only problem was that The Right Stuff didn't scan at the sale price, but after checking the sign to confirm that it was indeed included in the sale, they adjusted the price and I was on my way. This was a fantastic sale, and I got the entire James Deal collection to boot!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.