Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Some Farscape Starburst Sets Cheap at Bestbuy.com & B&M

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some Farscape Starburst Sets Cheap at Bestbuy.com & B&M

Best Buy B&M and bestbuy.com both have some bargains on Farscape Starburst sets 1, 2, and 4. Set 1.1 and 1.2 are both $9.99 each, and 2.1 is only $7.99. After seeing these prices online, and seeing that none were available for in-store pickup near me (and 2 of them are backordered), I went to my local BB anyway and found 2.1. It was labelled 19.99 but did indeed ring up 7.99. I also bought 2.2, and they gave it to me for the same price (YMMV on that one).

And an unrelated BB story, but I just had to mention it. The Frantic/Presumed Innocent 2-pack is supposed to be 6.99 with free funcash. None were labeled with Funcash, but the employee insisted it would be inside. Well, it wasn't. I went to customer service, and the manager gave me $10.50 back for EACH of the 2 sets I bought!!! That was awfully nice of him. I wasn't arguing or anything. I just wanted to return it and get my money back, since I mainly bought it for the Funcash.
Old 02-07-06, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, been wanting to try this show!
Old 02-07-06, 11:23 PM

Damn, I just bought these not long ago from DDD. Great show though, and I am very glad that there are now some reasonably priced DVDs of it available. The only reason I didn't by the earlier sets was their ridiculous pricing.
Old 02-07-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure the $7.99 one must be a misprice, since it is only 2.1. I'm hoping 1.1 and 1.2 are 9.99 because they are older. I'd like to find 1.3 for this price as well...
Old 02-07-06, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
And an unrelated BB story, but I just had to mention it. The Frantic/Presumed Innocent 2-pack is supposed to be 6.99 with free funcash. None were labeled with Funcash, but the employee insisted it would be inside. Well, it wasn't. I went to customer service, and the manager gave me $10.50 back for EACH of the 2 sets I bought!!! That was awfully nice of him. I wasn't arguing or anything. I just wanted to return it and get my money back, since I mainly bought it for the Funcash.
To answer your question, the funcash is NOT included in the double-feature DVD. The coupon is in a seperate cardboard which is supposed to be put near the DVD. I found it in the new release area by accident. It's the same way they promoted Memoirs of a Geisha a while ago. If you go back to the store and if they do have it, you should be able to find it. Don't bother to ask those BB employees, most of who don't bother to read the weekly ad and are too dumb to understand what you are looking for. It happens to me many times and I'd rather find it myself than asking them for help. Sometimes I think I can do a better job by helping customers find a certain product.

Last edited by dvdphilic; 02-07-06 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-07-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Might these be cheap because ADV is phasing out the 2-disc Starburst sets and replacing them with 4-disc sets?

(With the third season, they started doing 4-disc DVD-9 sets instead of 2-disc DVD-18 sets because of problems with defective discs.)
Old 02-08-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdphilic
To answer your question, the funcash is NOT included in the double-feature DVD. The coupon is in a seperate cardboard which is supposed to be put near the DVD. I found it in the new release area by accident. It's the same way they promoted Memoirs of a Geisha a while ago. If you go back to the store and if they do have it, you should be able to find it. Don't bother to ask those BB employees, most of who don't bother to read the weekly ad and are too dumb to understand what you are looking for. It happens to me many times and I'd rather find it myself than asking them for help. Sometimes I think I can do a better job by helping customers find a certain product.
Thanks. I actually asked them if it was separate, but the employee working DVD's insisted that it was inside, and said they didn't receive anything. Is the Funcash only free with that 2-pack, or are there other qualifying titles (like the Memoirs of a Geisha one you mentioned)?
Old 02-08-06, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Might these be cheap because ADV is phasing out the 2-disc Starburst sets and replacing them with 4-disc sets?

(With the third season, they started doing 4-disc DVD-9 sets instead of 2-disc DVD-18 sets because of problems with defective discs.)
That would be nice. But seeing as they didn't drop the price on 1.3, 2.2 or 2.3 I doubt that is the case. Also, I haven't heard that ADV plans on re-releasing the first 2 seasons with 4 discs. I think it is just the new releases. So there wouldn't be a reason to clearance the old ones...
Old 02-08-06, 08:55 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also just noticed that the Complete Season 3 (original release) is $57.99 on the site and the Complete Season 4 (original release) is $42.99.

Everyone else is still at or above $100 a piece for these.

Greg
Old 02-08-06, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

How widespread were these defective(and how could you tell they were defective?) disc problems? I have 1.1 - 2.3 but haven't watched them yet , no im worrying that i should at least fast forward through to make sure. Thanks.
Old 02-08-06, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
How widespread were these defective(and how could you tell they were defective?) disc problems? I have 1.1 - 2.3 but haven't watched them yet , no im worrying that i should at least fast forward through to make sure. Thanks.

Main problems I encountered with the original
release was that I could not access all the
features off the menu screen.
All the eps played ok. Commentary too.
But I only had season 1.

ADV offered to replace them, but
I had to send the WHOLE set back.
That meant the cases and box too.
Just did desire to deal with them.
As they are not the best company
to do replacements discs with.

So I ended up returning them for refund.
I have also had similar problems with
the original releases of Andromeda.

Also for whatever reason they seem
to have ALOT of floaters in these
10 disc sets. So if you have chance
to pick them up instore. Give them a
good shake B4 purchase.
Old 02-08-06, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by GCS
I also just noticed that the Complete Season 3 (original release) is $57.99 on the site and the Complete Season 4 (original release) is $42.99.

Everyone else is still at or above $100 a piece for these.

Greg

Thanks for the info Greg. I bought Seasons 3 and 4 to complete my collection.
Old 02-08-06, 01:08 PM

Very widespread. I also have 1.1 - 2.3 and I have found defective discs.
Bad errors will show when you fast foward through the disc, but minor errors you may skip over.
I haven't watched all of mine either.

Last edited by DVParker; 02-08-06 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by DVParker
Very widespread. I also have 1.1 - 2.3 and I have found defective discs.
Bad errors will show when you fast foward through the disc, but minor errors you may skip over.
I haven't watched all of mine either.
Crap - I guess i gotta check these out, wasn't planning on watching them for a while but got them during DDD 20% off(even though ADV told DDD not to sell them - had to phone order it in). Not sure what I will do if i do find problems...contact ADV i suppose.
Old 02-08-06, 05:13 PM

Some of the cases are not very good either. The ones where the center
peg has a square in the middle will scratch the bottom disc. The hinged plastic insert rubs the bottom disc. I had two like that. I put the discs in new cases.
Old 02-08-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In a somewhat related note, the Best Buy in my area had Starburst Edition 3.2 already on the shelves a week early (at $19.99 regular price) - so you might want to check your local one, for a chance to get it before the official street date of 2/14.
Old 02-08-06, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
That would be nice. But seeing as they didn't drop the price on 1.3, 2.2 or 2.3 I doubt that is the case. Also, I haven't heard that ADV plans on re-releasing the first 2 seasons with 4 discs. I think it is just the new releases. So there wouldn't be a reason to clearance the old ones...
I'd say they are re-releasing the first sets. I just bought the first season on amazon (1.1, 1.2, 1.3) and received them each in separate shipments - 1.1 and 1.3 were the 2-disc DVD18s, while 1.2 is the four disc version...

anyone know where i can send the two 2-disc versions to be replaced?
Old 02-08-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sman113
I'd say they are re-releasing the first sets. I just bought the first season on amazon (1.1, 1.2, 1.3) and received them each in separate shipments - 1.1 and 1.3 were the 2-disc DVD18s, while 1.2 is the four disc version...

anyone know where i can send the two 2-disc versions to be replaced?
That's good to know! Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep my eye out for those...
Old 02-09-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Very widespread.

I have 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 2.1.

1.2 and 2.1 both have one defective disc. In each case, one of the episodes "freezes" and I have to stop and skip over the bad part.

So in my case, it's a 50% defective rate. And I've stopped buying the discs because of it. I was unable to return the DVDs for replacement (after the sacred 30-day period, natch) and I've heard horror stories about ADV's customer service so I don't want to deal with them.
Old 02-21-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just in Los Angeles, and saw copies of 2.1 in Culver City and on Pico/Sawtelle. Still scans at 7.99
BB caught on to the price mistake for the Complete S3 and S4. Both are 89.99 now...
Old 02-21-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if those season sets were a price mistake or a temp. clearance that they mistakenly didn't end on time? Because I remember that they had Season 1 for 28.99 and season 2 for around 60 last year.
Old 02-22-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just received my 1.1 set from BB.com
The Good News: It was a 4 disc set
The Bad News: There was no shrinkwrap, and NO DISCS
The security seal on top was cut. I would think that they were stolen, except that my mail was on hold at the post office. And my other 4 boxes of DVD's from CH were untouched. BB.com's customer service blows. You have to open a case, and someone will get back to you. Usually they don't. I hate them!