Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Buffy - Chosen Collection for $49.99 at Best Buy - YMMV

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy - Chosen Collection for $49.99 at Best Buy - YMMV

This may be just a fluke, but I went into my local Best Buy in Jacksonville on Southside and saw the 40 disc set stickered at $49.99.

I figured it was mistagged, but I still quickly grabbed it and took it up to the counter thinking I could argue with them and convince them to honor their sticker price.

Much to my surprise, it actually rang up for $49.99! On the receipt, it reads as item code #5863862 and the description is "Buffy the Vampire Slayer 5th", so I'm guessing it's scanning as the 5th Season of Buffy for some reason. There was a UPC sticker on the sealed plastic which covered the original UPC on the box set as well.

As I said before, this might just be a YMMV but its worth a shot checking out if your Best Buy has any of these in stock.
Old 01-27-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm on my way
Old 01-27-06, 04:29 PM

I live in Jacksonville too, mick, did they have any more than the one you snagged?
Old 01-27-06, 04:36 PM
AOD

Wow, good deal. May have to check it out for that price.
Old 01-27-06, 04:48 PM

It was the only one I saw on the shelves at the Southside location, but I wasn't really searching around. I saw it on the shelves over by the Simpsons DVDs in the front of the store and after reading the price, I literally ran up to the counter to check out.

I find it hard to believe that this was the only DVD set that has been mistagged by BestBuy, so hopefully its widespread and everyone can get in on the deal.
Old 01-27-06, 05:15 PM

Sounds to me like someone had switched barcodes with the intention of picking it up later. But good luck to everyone trying.
Old 01-27-06, 05:35 PM

This is NOT the kind of hot deal we wanted. This is obviously a switching-sticker stunt pulled by somebody else with bad intention. The SKU the OP provided is the SKU for Buffy season 5 and season 5's price is $49.99. And the correct price for Buffy Chosen Collection is still $199.99 at BB. We DVDtalkers only seek legitimate deals and this is not the kind that we expected. We don't want to waste our gas on this. No disrespect to OP and we know your intention was good.
Old 01-27-06, 05:54 PM

I can understand someone switching the price tag, but how would they change the UPC on the box?

Don't they scan the UPC when you are buying it?
Old 01-27-06, 06:13 PM

They wouldn't need to change the UPC on the box, only apply one of the sticker UPC's over the boxes.
I checked my bestbuy and it was a no go. So probably was the work of an individual.
Old 01-27-06, 06:22 PM

They scanned the UPC and it rang up as $49.99. Seems strange that both the yellow sticker on the box would say $49.99 and the UPC sticker when scanned rang up at that price as well.

I swear that I didn't pull a scam on BestBuy, I just picked it up off the shelves. Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case it was chainwide pricing error.
Old 01-27-06, 06:23 PM

now this is a scam that the guy who put the sticker on it was trying to pull off, good think you got it. Shows people not to cheat, misprice is one thing but scamming is another
Old 01-27-06, 06:47 PM

Yea, now take it back you scammer!
Old 01-27-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdphilic
This is NOT the kind of hot deal we wanted. This is obviously a switching-sticker stunt pulled by somebody else with bad intention. The SKU the OP provided is the SKU for Buffy season 5 and season 5's price is $49.99. And the correct price for Buffy Chosen Collection is still $199.99 at BB. We DVDtalkers only seek legitimate deals and this is not the kind that we expected. We don't want to waste our gas on this. No disrespect to OP and we know your intention was good.
Oh, stop being so melodramatic. This is definitely not the first time a deal "too good to be true" has been posted at DVDTalk, and it won't be the last. And yet people still post in these threads expecting to actually get those deals, and then post later, angry, when they did not. That is the way of this forum.
Old 01-27-06, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mifuneral
Oh, stop being so melodramatic. This is definitely not the first time a deal "too good to be true" has been posted at DVDTalk, and it won't be the last. And yet people still post in these threads expecting to actually get those deals, and then post later, angry, when they did not. That is the way of this forum.
I'm not angry at what the OP has posted but I don't appreciate your attitude. Everybody who has conscience knows this is not a misprice case after reading the OP's description. Do you think putting a Buffy season 5's UPC on top of the Buffy chosen collection UPC to lower the price is a "too good to be true" case? Well if you encourage this kind of behavior, then this forum will be flooded with deals like this and people won't be able to tell good from evil. Whoever did this should feel ashamed of himself. By the way, To Kill a Mockingbird DVD for $9.99 (50% off the sticker price) is a good deal at BB and that's the kind of deal welcome to post.
Old 01-27-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And it could have been the fault of a screwup in the stickering department - not a thief. How many people would go through that much tampering effort and then walk away without actually purchasing?
Old 01-27-06, 08:14 PM

To show everybody that this is a DEAD deal and save your time and effort, I have been to Best Buy and the price is still $199.99 and the correct SKU for Buffy Chosen collection is 7391477 and the correct UPC is 024543212904. The OP should post the UPC which was scanned when he made the purchase.
Old 01-27-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sounds like an inside job....employee probably switched the upc, and printed the price sticker, with intent to let a friend come pick it up...that would be my guess
Old 01-27-06, 10:37 PM

The UPC sticker reads "024543089223" which is the UPC for Season #5. Still seems strange that someone would go through all that the hassle and just leave it on the shelf.

I guess its safe to close/delete the thread. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old 01-28-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not angry at what the OP has posted but I don't appreciate your attitude. Everybody who has conscience knows this is not a misprice case after reading the OP's description. Do you think putting a Buffy season 5's UPC on top of the Buffy chosen collection UPC to lower the price is a "too good to be true" case? Well if you encourage this kind of behavior, then this forum will be flooded with deals like this and people won't be able to tell good from evil. Whoever did this should feel ashamed of himself. By the way, To Kill a Mockingbird DVD for $9.99 (50% off the sticker price) is a good deal at BB and that's the kind of deal welcome to post.
Too good to be true means it's not true. If you'd drop the holier than thou act you'd see that's what I meant.
Old 01-28-06, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oyi, you got me a little excited there... but how do we know it's not a her?
Old 01-28-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We DVDtalkers only seek legitimate deals and this is not the kind that we expected.
Yeah, right. That's why we jump all over any pricing mistake like a pack of rabid dogs. Those aren't "legitimate deals."
Old 01-28-06, 08:35 AM

To show everybody that this is a DEAD deal and save your time and effort, I have been to Best Buy and the price is still $199.99 and the correct SKU for Buffy Chosen collection is 7391477 and the correct UPC is 024543212904. The OP should post the UPC which was scanned when he made the purchase.
Did you actually go to BestBuy the B&M or the website? The timing of your posts (and your heavy "good from evil ... " comment) gives me pause.

Oh what the hell, I have a full tank of gas I'll just check it out myself.

B.
Old 01-28-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay. Everyone that got in on the Target $5 season set deal last year, return your dvds at once! You'll feel better about yourself.
Old 01-28-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too bad it's not a 'deal' after all, but way to go, OP! I'd like to see what happens when the original 'perpetrator' goes to the store and looks for this Buffy Collection.
Old 01-28-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why is it so hard to believe that Best Buy made a mistake when stickering the box? On the release day of Son of the Mask and The Mask...about a half a dozen of both titles had a sticker for some basketball DVD on them and were priced at $9.99 each. I picked up Celebrity Mole: Season 1 for $12.99 a while ago, because they had the wrong sticker on it. Even in places like Gamestop...we've seen their used DVDs tagged wrong. It doesn't necessarily mean someone was doing an "inside job". My fiance got WWE Unforgiven 2005 for $6.99 because they put the 2003 sticker on it. I got the new Muppet Christmas Carol for $6.99 because they put the non-anniversary edition sticker on it. And a week after One Tree Hill: Season 2 was released, they had it for $19.99, because they put the OTH: Season 1 sticker on it. So, I doubt it was the OP, or some inside job...just someone not paying much attention, or having lack of knowledge on DVDs.

And the $5.99 box sets at Target were too good to be true, but that was a chainwide mistake, and we're all thankful that the OP of that thread didn't just assume it was a price mistake in only his store and not tell us of the deal, otherwise I'm sure we'd all have about 10 less box sets in our collection because of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.