Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$4.88 dvds at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks, OP. I grabbed School Ties, Nobody's Fool, and Changing Lanes.
Old 01-18-06, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...just got home from Wal Mart Burke VA - had A LOT of trouble finding the display.
Picked up:
U2 Rattle and Hum
Summer Rental
Black Sheep
Pretty In Pink
Cheech & Chong: Still Smokin
Uncommon Valor (on a whim)
Catch-22
Considering picking up the Crocadile Dundee movies though I'm sure they're terrible
Old 01-18-06, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
Considering picking up the Crocadile Dundee movies though I'm sure they're terrible
I thought all 3 movies were decent (the first is the best). I think the transfers are also OK, but nothing great. They are all rather barebones DVD-5's, so $4.88 is about what they're worth.
Old 01-18-06, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by bub
Escape from NY
I assume this was a typo or do they have the newer Escape from NY 2-DVD SE in addition to Escape from L.A. for $4.88?
Old 01-19-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This morning it looked like they just put out the display during the night. I grabbed a couple Grease 2's (one for my bro), but nothing else.

I almost got the 2 Croc Dundees, but put them back. A Simple Plan was tempting, and Cool World I don't even remember if that was a decent movie or not.

Escape from LA I thought about, but I don't have Escape from NY, plus its not anamorphic.

Not a big fan of U2, but almost concidered that one too just because its a live concert.

I don't know what else to grab!
Old 01-19-06, 08:47 AM

I checked mine last night and nothing...will try another today if I have time. Where are you seeing the diplay? Front? Back?
Old 01-19-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cisman
I checked mine last night and nothing...will try another today if I have time. Where are you seeing the diplay? Front? Back?
Mine were just past the DVDs/electronics and almost in front of the toys.
Old 01-19-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found the bin in front of the registers at one Wal-mart. The other one near me didn't know what I was talking about. I picked up Catch-22 as a semi-blind buy (saw part of it on TV many years ago) and The Odd Couple. I almost got Summer Rental but I can't remember if I liked it or not since I haven't seen it in years.
Old 01-19-06, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Picked up Black Sheep (believe it or not...blind buy!) and Pretty in Pink
Black sheep was a blind buy? really?
Old 01-19-06, 01:15 PM

I picked up the Odd Couple, but the U2 was no where to be found at the local Wally.
Old 01-19-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stopped by this morning and picked up:

Cheech and Chong Still Smokin'
Frankie and Johnny
Flesh and Bone
Old 01-19-06, 09:15 PM

I didn't notice the display with the 4.88 DVDs at first - I was wasting time going thru the $5.50 dump. Fortunately the 4.88 display, right next to the cashier, was a lot neater. I picked up Catch-22 and The Odd Couple. I thought about getting North Dallas 40 but held off for now.
Old 01-19-06, 10:45 PM

Whenever WMT has these $4.88 displays, I now buy everything that I might possibly be interested in even if I haven't seen it, so I bought 14 of them. (They didn't have The Odd Couple.) I figure I have 90 days to try to find reviews and try to catch movies I haven't seen on TV or rent them to see if they are worth $4.88. Sometimes it's almost cheaper to blind-buy and then trade-in for $3 credit if I don't like something which makes it about a $2 rental, provided some place will give me $3 credit.

The one time in the past I held off buying some of these for a week, once I decided I wanted to get a few more they were all sold out. So I learned my lesson to "buy first, ask questions later". Knowing me I'll probably return half of them unopened, but if they don't care I don't care.
Old 01-19-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marcellusk
Black sheep was a blind buy? really?
Seriously....saw maybe about 5 minutes of it once....never watched all of it.
Old 01-19-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My walmart had a one-sided display of these mixed with two-pack bundles on the other side. I saw almost everything listed ( with 2-3 copies of each ), except Pretty In Pink, which I wanted.
I ended up getting : Still Smokin', Grease 2, Frankie & Johnny, School Ties.
Old 01-20-06, 01:08 AM

Are any of the Walmart $4.88 DVDs re-releases?

The reason I wonder is that when I last watched Cool World and the Crocodile Dundee movies, they were single layer. I checked several reviews which say these are all dual-layer. Either multiple reviews are wrong or they re-transfered them to have a higher bitrate. Does anyone know?

Also, My Cousin Vinny which is a $7.50 title had new packaging, and on the back I saw Dual Layer format. When I last watched My Cousin Vinny it was a single layer disc. Did this also get a stealth re-transfer or is it yet another packaging error?

If they have upgraded these DVD-5s to DVD-9s with better transfers, then I would buy these. Unfortunately only Warner, Universal, and Disney are good about stating the number of layers on the back of the case. Most other cases do not mention this, and I've found of the few DVD review sites that list layer information a large number of them have wrong info.
Old 01-20-06, 01:18 PM

The ones at the Arboretum Wal-Mart were mixed into the 5.50 bins...apparently they'd taken down the dedicated display earlier that day. Arrgh. But I found EVERY title I wanted...

Catch-22
Escape From L.A.
Nutty Professor (1963 special edition)
The Odd Couple
A Simple Plan
Cheech & Chong Still' Smokin'
U2 Rattle and Hum

and I got the Best of Gallagher v.1. I think it's the first Anchor Bay title I've ever bought that did not have an insert. Yes...I bought a Gallagher DVD. I have a DVD problem.
Old 01-20-06, 09:29 PM

I stopped by the Walmart in Newburgh, NY on my way home from worked and picked up these:

School Ties
Summer Rental
Cool World
A Simple Plan
Escape From L.A.
Black Sheep
Pretty in Pink
Crocodile Dundee
Crocodile Dundee 2

The display was just inside the electronics department.
Old 01-20-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Black Sheep's probably the only thing I'd buy and I've already got it. I don't think I'd pay $4.88 for most of these titles. Some of these selections are proof that if the price is low enough, people will buy it.
Old 01-20-06, 10:58 PM

I loved Summer Rental as a youngster. This DVD while bare bones has a very decent anamorphic transfer. I am happy that I have this on a more permanent format than off-TV VHS. It's in OAR too. I have to give Paramount credit, they do things right for the most part.
Old 01-21-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
I picked up Cool World and it's still single-layer. Most people don't seem to be able to tell how many layers a disc has just by looking at it. I doubt they'd redo a movie with a higher bitrate this late in the game when they'll have the chance to resell them on the new formats that are coming out.

Hey Arnold had an insert, but the rest I picked up didn't.
Old 01-21-06, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spez
I stopped by the Walmart in Newburgh, NY
Off Topic, but I'm originally from Newburgh. Graduated from NFA(if they still call it that) in 83.
Old 01-21-06, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I picked up Cool World and it's still single-layer. Most people don't seem to be able to tell how many layers a disc has just by looking at it. I doubt they'd redo a movie with a higher bitrate this late in the game when they'll have the chance to resell them on the new formats that are coming out.
Thanks for confirming the info about Cool World. The reviews I saw about it must be wrong and probably are also wrong about Crocodile Dundees. Next time I go to Walmart I'll have to re-check My Cousin Vinny's package to make sure I wasn't imagining that it said "Dual Layer" on the back. If it does say that, then it got a stealth re-transfer.

You're right very few people seem to be able to tell dual vs. single layer just by looking. In the old days dual layer used to be gold colored, but now they aren't so you have to look for the double set of manufacturer ID marks on the inner hub. I think only once or twice in my life have I been wrong about the number of layers by visual inspection. Given so few people know how to do it and how few review sites bother to mention it (and those that do are wrong quite often), I assume most people don't care about the bitrate or how much effort studios put into releases. My opinion is this: any studio who releases any DVD in single layer format nowadays is demonstrating what cheapskates they are and will not get my business. While I won't say I never buy single layer releases, when I do they have to be in the Walmart cheap bins.

The hard part is finding out which new releases are single layer if they aren't by the studios that list it on the package (i.e. Universal, Warner, and usually Disney). Then I have to post a message and it's hard to get an answer because few people know/care. And while on my soapbox about this, I should say that just because something's dual layer is no guarantee of a higher bitrate. I've bought a few dual layers recently only to find the capacity is barely above DVD-5 and most of the extra space is consumed by ads and previews.

Last edited by Manzana; 01-21-06 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by thedarktroll
and I got the Best of Gallagher v.1. I think it's the first Anchor Bay title I've ever bought that did not have an insert. Yes...I bought a Gallagher DVD. I have a DVD problem.
Was that in some sort of green fruit packaging?
Old 01-21-06, 10:33 PM

My Wal-Mart dumped the 4.88 dvds in the 5.50 bin which made them impossible to find and all dented.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.