Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Possible deal to be had on Karate Kid Collection @ Borders

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Possible deal to be had on Karate Kid Collection @ Borders

I was looking for the Karate Kid set that has all four movies, and when I was searching the www.bordersstores.com site to check inventory at my local stores, I noticed the price said 8.99. On of my stores listed it in stock, so I had it held. I went to the store with a printout from their site, and verified when I looked it up in their store that it also said 8.99.

Of course, it rang up 33.99. Without ever getting combative, I firmly but politely insisted on the price. They had their CS manager come out, who said he couldn't possibly "match" that price. I asked "how is it a price match when it's your own in-store system saying this"? The UPC on the sheet stating 8.99 matched the product exactly. When the CS guy checked their real inventory system, it did say 33.99, so I'm not sure why the other says 8.99. Anyway, I sparred with him for a few minutes, but it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to budge. I didn't want to get ugly over this since I do shop their fairly often with my fiancee, so I just told him thanks anyway and set down the other $100 worth of DVD's I had in my hands in front of him and left.

I figured I'd mention this since I know there are others here who may be more persistent than me, or may have better luck. Great deal if you can get it for that price.

Not sure if this link will work, but this is the product page:

http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword
Old 12-01-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Borders manages to avoid having to honor these mis-prices by the "in-store prices may vary" line. Even the online price is $27.XX.

Would be an amazing deal though if anyone can score it.
Old 12-01-05, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. That must be a goof. I wonder what would've happened had you bought it online rather than in-store pickup. But either way, they should have honored that price, I think.
Old 12-01-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the thing is the www.bordersstores.com site is different than going to borders.com.

Borders.com is just a front for Amazon it seems. Bordersstores.com is what shows you store information, inventory etc., but I don't believe there are any options to actually purchase through the site-just place holds. I told the guy I'm sure I won't be the last person to come looking for it at that price, but I doubt that's something they can change locally at their store. I work for a large retailer, and all prices changes have to come from the corporate office. So unless he gets the home office to change it, it should still show that way on the site and on the in-store system.
Old 12-01-05, 10:20 AM

It kinda reminds me of what happened with Starship Troopers at Best Buy. In the store, it was $22. Online, it was $9.99. So I did an in-store pickup. Not only did I get it for $9.99, I didn't have to pay the 7 percent sales tax.
Old 12-01-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I've done that at BB several times. In fact, I remember a couple years a go they were having a 20% off all Fox TV sets, and I needed the NYPD Blue sets and the new Angel at the time. They wouldn't match their website, as apparently it is viewed as a separate entity, so I walked up to the online kiosk, placed my order for store pickup, walked to CS and told them I'd liek to pick up my order. Hilarious.

I'm surprised you didn't get charged tax though. I always get charged tax on pickups.
Old 12-01-05, 11:12 AM

In-store prices may vary. See your local store for the most up-to-date pricing.
Old 12-01-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems to be an echo in here LOL. I know about the disclaimer. FWIW, the manager never quoted that to me. Just refused to do it. Others may be luckier.
Old 12-01-05, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have to honor the lower price if it has the same UPC and BINC number. Otherwise, they could get in trouble with the Better Business Bureu for promoting an article at a lower price and not delivering. This happened to me with the original 1975 Swept Away DVD, which is marked in their inventory for $14.99 but in their computer and price sticker was marked for $24.99. They honored the lower price without any hassles.
Old 12-01-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword

And I know a Borders or two that carry the Almost Famous Bootleg Cut. If you could land it for $8.99, holy crap.

However, the prices are clearly marked on the packaging. Not gonna happen.
Old 12-01-05, 12:03 PM

There shouldn't be anything different about that Almost Famous at Borders than there was for me with Starship Troopers at Best Buy.
Old 12-01-05, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
They have to honor the lower price if it has the same UPC and BINC number. Otherwise, they could get in trouble with the Better Business Bureu for promoting an article at a lower price and not delivering. This happened to me with the original 1975 Swept Away DVD, which is marked in their inventory for $14.99 but in their computer and price sticker was marked for $24.99. They honored the lower price without any hassles.
No they don't. Read the disclaimer on the website that others here have quoted.
Old 12-01-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
No they don't. Read the disclaimer on the website that others here have quoted.
If you click on "reserve for in store pick-up", it says "the price for your local store is noted below. And below it says the price is $8.99. So they should legally have to honor it otherwise it could be considered false advertising.
Old 12-01-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
If you click on "reserve for in store pick-up", it says "the price for your local store is noted below. And below it says the price is $8.99. So they should legally have to honor it otherwise it could be considered false advertising.

I noticed that too. I sent in a request, so we'll see what happens.
Old 12-01-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, I sent one in for Almost Famous Bootleg Cut.

I'm wondering if I should try to use a coupon too? (25% or 40%)
Old 12-01-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Well, the order I placed is not in stock. No suprise there. Maybe I'll try for Almost Famous as a gift for the wife.
Old 12-01-05, 03:32 PM

If anyone is successful let me know
Old 12-01-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, I printed out the in-store pickup page, took it to Borders and they honored it. It took them a bit to look it up, and verify the price, but they did it. They told me that $8.99 was the " line price ", so they gave it to me no problem.

Thanks buckaroo!!
Old 12-01-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by island007
Yep, I sent one in for Almost Famous Bootleg Cut.

I'm wondering if I should try to use a coupon too? (25% or 40%)

You greedy bastard!!! j/k
Old 12-01-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problem-glad it worked for you Spiral.

Like I said, I really wasn't in a mood to fight it out with this guy, so I figured letting you all know about it was the best revenge!
Old 12-01-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Well the thing is the www.bordersstores.com site is different than going to borders.com.

Borders.com is just a front for Amazon it seems. Bordersstores.com is what shows you store information, inventory etc., but I don't believe there are any options to actually purchase through the site-just place holds. I told the guy I'm sure I won't be the last person to come looking for it at that price, but I doubt that's something they can change locally at their store. I work for a large retailer, and all prices changes have to come from the corporate office. So unless he gets the home office to change it, it should still show that way on the site and on the in-store system.
The store manager STILL has the ability to match any price

That's how I got the I,Claudius set for $20. (There were threads on this back in the day).
Persistance can pay off. And This was before I was a Borders employee.
Old 12-01-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Ok, I printed out the in-store pickup page, took it to Borders and they honored it. It took them a bit to look it up, and verify the price, but they did it. They told me that $8.99 was the " line price ", so they gave it to me no problem.

Thanks buckaroo!!

Great Job
Old 12-01-05, 05:25 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
What's a "line price"?
Old 12-01-05, 08:36 PM
Banned

Went in and picked Almost Famous Bootleg Edition for $8.99. The manager was very friendly and without any hassle honored the price. Thanks to the original poster for the tip.
Old 12-02-05, 11:38 AM

Thanks! I had a bit of a hassle - the store manager came over, a phone call was placed, and after their investigation, they determined the correct price is $8.99

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.