Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

War Of the Worlds Complete First Season 14.99 + shipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
War Of the Worlds Complete First Season 14.99 + shipping

War Of the Worlds Complete First Season 14.99 + shipping or in store pickup for free shipping

link
Old 11-20-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads up, gonna pricematch at CCity today (no Best Buy anywhere near me)
Old 11-20-05, 06:31 AM

Thats a great deal. Even tho the series kinda sucked, Im gonna have to get that for that price.

Thanks
Old 11-20-05, 07:27 AM

When I saw this in the BB early ad info thread, I jumped. I'll be picking this up too.

Along w/ the LE '05 film.
Old 11-20-05, 03:02 PM

Will someone tell me what this is? What is it about, and what did it appear on? Saw it in circular and didn't know anything about it.
Old 11-20-05, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by videoguy
Will someone tell me what this is? What is it about, and what did it appear on? Saw it in circular and didn't know anything about it.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18434
Old 11-20-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
In short videoguy (can't get that link to work) the series ran for two season back in '88 and '89 I believe. I remember watching and really getting into the first few episodes, but I forgot about it after that...

I'd love to see some screenshots of the martians if anyone feels so inclined.
Old 11-20-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds like something I might enjoy, especially for that price (less $3 in McDonalds certs that would've gone to waste anyway). I'll check it out--thanks for posting (I missed it in the Best Buy ad).

Originally Posted by ZakiHasan
Fixed (it had an exta http in the original link) http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18434

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-20-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 04:32 PM

I also remember watching this show regularly when it was on. My memory of it is extremely positive. I got really into it. But I haven't seen it for a while, and I don't know how it will hold up or what I'll think of it now. At $15, it may be worth the risk.

I bought the 53 movie and still like it. Never saw the Tom Cruise one. All his foolish behavior kind of turned me off seeing the film.
Old 11-20-05, 10:03 PM

The first season was pretty good and ended with a lot of promise.

The second (and last) season was almost like a different show. Incredible lack of continuity. The main characters were killed off, the aliens were different, the earth was a worn torn planet. Most of the changes went unexplained or was inconsistant, everything just suddenly changed!!!

I remember back when the second season started I called up a few friends asking them to fill in the blanks because I must have missed a few of the new episodes. They told I hadn't, that that is the way the new season started!!!

Its not that the episodes themselves were any worse but about the only connection to the first season was the name.

Despite all these problems this show did what very few shows cancelled or not dont do and that is it had a final concluding episode. KABOOM!!!
Old 11-20-05, 10:07 PM

I vaguely remember there had been a big change from the first season to the second, with certain characters killed off, among other changes. I remember not liking it as much as a result, or being disappointed. But my memories are sketchy at best. I just remember tuning in consistently to see this show.

Too bad the review of the DVD itself isn't better. But when I combine the memories I have with this price, I don't think I can resist.
Old 11-20-05, 10:33 PM

Thanks for posting the deal, OP. I picked it up at Best Buy, and it did ring up as $15, so I didn't have to get them to price match the web site.
Old 11-20-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went ahead and picked it up...
Old 11-21-05, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Christi P
Thanks for posting the deal, OP. I picked it up at Best Buy, and it did ring up as $15, so I didn't have to get them to price match the web site.
It was listed in their Sunday ad at this price, so I don't see why you'd have to bother or worry about pricematching the Web site.

Only thing that confused me was it said the price is for four days only, but either didn't say or wasn't clear on what those four days were. ???
Old 11-21-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's gotta be Sun.-Wed., Nov 20-23. New sale starts on BF.
Old 11-21-05, 01:41 PM

So, to those who have picked this up...

Does the show live up to the fond memories some of us have of it?

Is the video quality really as bad as the review here makes it out to be?

Is it worth $15?
Old 11-21-05, 02:20 PM
FSA

Thanks. Ordered a set.
Old 11-21-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I too would like to see some screen shots. I can't find any anywhere, and I get the feeling if I see some, I'll remember something about it. I need to know if I should spend the 15 bucks or not. I vaguely remember getting excited about it when I was younger, but can't tell for sure unless I see some alien shots or something.
Old 11-21-05, 04:20 PM

I remember the opening with the three fingers wrapping around the planet.
Old 11-21-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that's all I remember, too, and I think it was from the TV ads. Can't tell if I actually saw the show itself.
Old 11-21-05, 04:41 PM

I picked this up during DDD's 20% off sale for $23... I emailed them last night about price matching. If they don't, I'm gonna return it and get it from BB.

The 1st season was good, but the 2nd season was pretty lame. A lot of changes to the show that year, and not for the better.
Old 11-21-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well the first episode with the martians grabbing the people in the toxic waste site is exactly what I remember as a kid. The action is pretty good and violent, but the rest I found unwatchable (so painful I just FF to all the martian moments). I'll watch a few more and then trade this sucker in.

Definitely some good laughs to be had for sure, would probably go with a six-pack nicely.

Last edited by Artman; 11-21-05 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 10:06 PM

In my opinion the video quality on this transfer is very poor. It looked like a 2nd generation VHS copy and that was on my 15in laptop. It's the worse TV series transfer in my collection.
Old 11-22-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I bought one last night. What I remember is the freeze frame when the title comes on the screen. This looks really bad. Bad acting, bad script, silly-looking aliens, poor stunts, bad lighting...and oh yes, the transfer is horrible. I could barely see anything in the dark scenes. I didn't watch very much of the first episode before getting pissed. I think I'm just gonna sell it.
Old 11-22-05, 09:25 AM

Seems to me they put more effort into the design of the box than they did the content of the discs.

This, along with the 53 SE, obviously must've been done to capitalize on the release of the Cruise movie. At least there was some effort put into the 53 movie SE. This IS the barest of the bare, and watching it is no better than watching it on TV, but at least you CAN watch it if you want.

I watched the premiere and the second episode last night. I'm going to give it more time before passing judgement.

(What's intersting about the opening credits of this show is how you hear a line of dialogue after the opening credits and before the show starts. This really surprised me the first time!)

Does anyone remember what the stand-out episodes were? Maybe the ones where they go back to the scene of the original invasion, or the ones with Sylvia?

And a PS - there's a review over at IMDB actually claiming the second season was better than the first!

And another PS - If Paramount can see fit to drag this out of the vault, why can't Universal release the first two seasons of Earth Final Conflict???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.