Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Ray Harryhausen for $1

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray Harryhausen for $1

Near the front door of most Target stores are some one-dollar bins. Now that the $1 Halloween DVDs have been moved out, a new collection of DVDs has shown up. Look for the title "Fairy Tale Favorites". The cover is a picture of a 1951 claymation Little Red Riding Hood making an "oh-no" Mr. Bill face. We picked this up for my young daughter not expecting much. Boy was I surprised.

The DVD inside is 69 minutes with lots of Harryhausen animation. What a joy! The subtle movements of the characters reacting to the main character show the real talent of the man. There is great detail in a lot of the sets and even some special effects! Watch for the witch's house to "materialize" out of nothing during Hansel & Gretel. Camera pans and zooms are worked in. I don't know if this material is available anywhere else.

Warning. The boxes will all feel empty but don't worry.... the disc is actually inside. It is glued (with removable glue) to the inside of the box!

For Harryhausen fans --> ENJOY !!!

Fairy Tale Favorites
Little Red Riding Hood plus 10 more
Multimedia Entertainment
UPC: 671196-033969
Old 11-06-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could be wrong....but maybe it's material from the superb...

...a wonderful collection of early Ray and a solid history on one of my all-time fave people! I own all of Ray's works so if the dvd you speak of does indeed contain anything not found on anything else...I'll have to hunt it down.

Pick up the Early Years collection...awesome stuff.
Old 11-06-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^owned^ as well...what is the full listing of the cheap disc
Old 11-06-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto. I need details!
Old 11-07-05, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Details for $1.00 Harryhausen DVD

Here are the details for the $1 Ray Harryhausen DVD available at Target:
Mother Goose – Nursery Rhyme Review
Little Miss Muffet
Old Mother Hubbard
The Queen of Hearts
Humpty Dumpty
Mr. Piper and the Story of the Wild Swans
Hansel & Gretel
Greedy Humpty Dumpty
Little Red Riding Hood
Rapunzel

Simple Simon
Tom Thumb
The titles in red print (above) are Harryhausen Claymation titles. From the cover of the DVD “Ray Harryhausen: Early Years Collection” it’s apparent that most of this material is duplicated between these two titles. Please let me know if all of the Harryhausen material is covered on the “Early Years Collection” or if there is any extra material here.

Mother Goose Review opens without titles. The short feature begins on a red curtain, which parts to reveal a book. Mother Goose walks out of the book, magically produces a projector and shows four claymation films. These are shown with only music: no dialog or narration. Each of the four mini-films is introduced with two (2) title cards:
  1. “Mother Goose Presents”
  2. <the episode title> and the words “photographed in three dimensional Animation”

There is a “Bailey Films, Inc” title card at the end of the Mother Goose Review.

Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel all have “Bailey Films, Inc.” logo title cards, copyright notices by RH and produced and/or directed by RH cards at the beginning. There is no character dialog but there is a narrator.

=== === === === === === ===

“Mr. Piper and the Story of the Wild Swans” is introduced (and closed out) by some big guy in a Camelot period costume standing in a castle set. From the front titles and his singing, we have determined that this guy must be Mr. Piper. Mr. Piper is an unknown commodity to me. The animation on this cartoon is exceptionally weak. It ends with a single title: “A PRODUCTIONS UNLIMITED RELEASE”

Greedy Humpty Dumpty is “A Max Fleischer Color Classic” cartoon (directed by Dave Fleischer). It’s a strange musical cartoon where Humpty Dumpty pulls out a whip and beats the town’s people into building a wall to the sun, which he believes is made of gold. Just as I explain to my daughter that the sun is too far away for any wall to reach….they of course reach the sun!

Simple Simon and Tom Thumb are produced by UB IWERKS.

Total disc running time: 69 minutes.
Old 11-07-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, all of those are on the Harryhausen Early Years Collection (in addition to King Midas and The Tortoise & the Hare). Still, that's a pretty great deal for a buck!

Thanks for the detailed review...