Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Historical DDD 20% Sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Historical DDD 20% Sales

I have only become a serious DVD nut in the last year. I keep hearing about the DDD November sale. If it is anything like the past, can someone clue me in to how it worked? When is it generally anticipated? Is it 20% off the discounted prices they already regularly offer? Thanks!
Old 11-04-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If and when it happens, it will be 20% off of their normal price.

Since you're new here, I won't get all pissy, but it's generally accepted that you don't talk about the sale until it's upon us.
Old 11-04-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Since you're new here, I won't get all pissy, but it's generally accepted that you don't talk about the sale until it's upon us.
Actually it is more that a "general acceptance". A mod will be closing this thread shortly.

OP, search is your friend.
Old 11-04-05, 09:54 AM

TimT...the quickest way to get a thread closed around here is to ask about DDD's 20% Off sales until the sale actually takes place. Keep checking back and once it happens (hopefully, again, this month but who knows?) you'll see a thread with about 14 pages (or least a whole lot) in the first 2 days with the discount codes and lists of what everyone bought. Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dude, you almost gave me a heart attack - I thought the sale had started - and my list is no way near ready....................but it most certainly will be ready a week from now (do not infer that as being the start date of the sale, I'm just saying I'll be ready by then).
Old 11-04-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has been mentioned before, but:

The first rule of the DDD 20% off sale is that you do not talk about the DDD 20% off sale.

The second rule of the DDD 20% off sale is that YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE DDD 20% OFF SALE.
Old 11-04-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The third rule of the DDD 20% off sale is that if this is your first DDD 20% off sale, you have to buy.
Old 11-04-05, 10:28 AM

His name is TimT.
His name is TimT.
His name is TimT.
Old 11-04-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Come on guys, cut him some slack. It's not like a regular asked when it's happening. This looks to be someone that has heard about it only through bits and pieces on these forums... and of course since any mention of the sale is immediately and ruthlessly squashed, I can see how it's hard to get some information.

Tim, here's some basics:

As others have said, asking when the next sale will be is frowned upon. Believe me, when it happens, you'll know.

The sale usually happens twice a year and runs for a week and a half to two weeks. The last one was in June, the one before that was November of last year, but there's never any guarantee that it will take place. We don't get an official post until the day of or the day before the sale.

The 20% is taken off their current list price. Some newer items (for example, Sopranos season 5 during the last sale) are bumped up a few bucks beforehand, but the 20% off still makes for a great deal.

There are many different codes to use at checkout for the sale. If you've ever bought from DDD, you'll receive an announcement of the sale in e-mail with a code, and there's a code for DVDTalk, as well as several others. When the sale kicks off, there will be a thread with people listing all the codes.

Each code can only be used once. The best bet is to build up a large order instead of ordering things as you think about them.

I hope this helps you out, and maybe we can convince the mods to adapt this post and make a sticky FAQ for people that are new to DVDTalk and are wondering about the sale.
Old 11-04-05, 10:59 AM

A sticky with FAQs would eliminate the issues here for me and other newer members. Thanks.
Old 11-04-05, 11:11 AM
Banned

Another tip, build your wishlist now. Look for what is on sale at Best buy the week of the DDD sale, DDD will pricematch BB's price(plus BB shipping costs) and take an add'l 20% off. So the $15.99 dvd's sale dvd's at Best buy can be had for around $13