Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Dr. Strangelove 40th Anniversary Ed. and other Columbia SE for $14.99 at Borders B&M

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Dr. Strangelove 40th Anniversary Ed. and other Columbia SE for $14.99 at Borders B&M

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the title says. Here is the link to check the availability on your local Borders bookstore:
http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...srchType=Title

There are also several other titles from columbia Pictures for $14.99. I saw:

The Fifth Element SE
The Profesional Deluxe Edition
A League of Their Own SE
Lawrence of Arabia Limited Edition
Glory SE
Close Encounters of the Third Kind Collectors edition

They also have another promotion of 2 for $22 which included many $14.99 and $12.99 titles, but I also saw the Alien films and some of the Halloween films also included on the sale.

Edit: Added titles included in the sale.

Last edited by dx23; 10-01-05 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-30-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome find, thanks! I've been meaning to pick up Dr. Strangelove and now I can do so on the cheap. They also have the limited edition of Lawrence of Arabia for $14.99.
Old 10-01-05, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Awesome find, thanks! They also have the limited edition of Lawrence of Arabia for $14.99.
If you are going to pick up the Lawrence of Arabia Limited Edition, do so only for the documentaries, ect. that it contains. The actual picture and sound quality is not up to par. There are bits of dialog missing, and the color timing is not the director approved version, as restored by Robert Harris, I believe under Sir David Lean's supervision. Please search at the Home Theater Forum for more details, if you are interested, as Mr. Harris is a regular contributor at that forum, and is highly regarded for his work in film restoration.

However, the current Superbit 2-disc release of Lawrence of Arabia contains a corrected and improved transfer, and is currently on sale @ Best Buy for only $9.99.
Old 10-01-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phraseturner
If you are going to pick up the Lawrence of Arabia Limited Edition, do so only for the documentaries, ect. that it contains. The actual picture and sound quality is not up to par. There are bits of dialog missing, and the color timing is not the director approved version, as restored by Robert Harris, I believe under Sir David Lean's supervision. Please search at the Home Theater Forum for more details, if you are interested, as Mr. Harris is a regular contributor at that forum, and is highly regarded for his work in film restoration.

However, the current Superbit 2-disc release of Lawrence of Arabia contains a corrected and improved transfer, and is currently on sale @ Best Buy for only $9.99.
I actually already own both versions, but I just wanted to let everyone know about the $14.99 price for the ltd. edition. I agree with you, the SB has much better picture quality. I appreciate the information though. If anyone finds any other sweet deals, please post them here. Thanks.
Old 10-01-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone know which print the single-disc version uses?
Old 10-01-05, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I actually already own both versions...
I do, as well. Makes a good 4-disc set: 2 for A/V quality, the other two for docs.

Regarding the Dr. Strangelove 40th Anniv.: Thanks to GameStop only having one SKU per title in their computers, I got a pristine used one for $9.99 last month from them. I love their computer system. Time Bandits Anchor Bay, Time Bandits Criterion Collection--it's all the same to them, which is fine with me!
Old 10-01-05, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Anyone know which print the single-disc version uses?

The limited edition transfer, unfortunately, and the whole movie on one disc DVD-18, I think...
Old 10-01-05, 02:35 AM
Political Exile

Alright!

Thanks I've been shopping for a good deal on Leon The Professional since I went to BB and they wouldn't give it to me for 9.99 like the other SB movies.
Old 10-01-05, 03:11 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Pwman
Thanks I've been shopping for a good deal on Leon The Professional since I went to BB and they wouldn't give it to me for 9.99 like the other SB movies.
Leon is 9.98 at ch.com right now if it helps.
Old 10-01-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
There are some 25% off in-store printable coupons (expiring tomorrow) that may work in conjunction with this offer. I just reserved a copy of Dr. Strangelove, and we'll see if I can snag it for $11.24 in a couple of hours.
Old 10-01-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, and Borders of all places. I'll have to look into getting Dr. Strangelove for that cheap...
Old 10-01-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good luck in using the coupon....as with any deal like that YMMV. When i tried that coupon with an on sale cd, they said the 25% would come off the "reg. price," which happens to be full retail. Another note on borders, their internet price may not be the B&M prices...I've found that on several items.
Old 10-01-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RonBoster
Good luck in using the coupon....as with any deal like that YMMV. When i tried that coupon with an on sale cd, they said the 25% would come off the "reg. price," which happens to be full retail. Another note on borders, their internet price may not be the B&M prices...I've found that on several items.
Killjoy.
Old 10-01-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just returned from Borders. The $14.99 prices are in the system, much to the surprise of the employees. There is nothing to indicate the sale anywhere in the store, so don't be deterred by the $30.99 price tag on Dr. Strangelove. It will ring up at $14.99.

Ron is correct about the coupon, however. $14.99 is considered a sale price, despite not being marked or advertised, so they wouldn't give me the additional 25% off. (I don't think the system will even allow it.) They did offer to take 25% off the $30.99 price, but were kind enough to point out that "the sale price is the better deal."
Old 10-01-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to the OP!

Picked up Dr. Strangelove for 14.99....also took advantage of the 2 for $22 and noticed they had a single copy of the 2 disc Kinsey marked down with a bunch of the 1 disc releases. Grabbed 2 disc Kinsey and The Hunger for $11 bucks apiece.
Old 10-01-05, 09:59 PM

You can actually get Dr. Stragnelove for $11.

I'm posting this because I have already done the deal myself. It actually has made the original deal sweeter.

On page 26-27 of Borders' flyer of this month (you can get it near the entrance), there are 48 titles listed as 2 for $22 sale. Dr. Strangelove 40th Anniversary edition is listed on the very left of the third line on page 26. I took the DVD with another eligible title, Sense and Sensibility (the deluxe edition with the book), showed the cashier the ad and the sale was granted without hesitation. I walked out of store paid $22 + tax for 2 DVDs worth at least $45 retail.

Folks, please do not misunderstand my point. This is not cheating, this is getting good deal in a straghtforward manner. The DVD was advertised in their flyer and there is no sign saying it is a misprint. Borders has the obligation to honor the sale.

I wish everybody best of luck!

Last edited by dvdphilic; 10-01-05 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 10:59 PM

Also to point out from what dvdphilic said, the ad states that individual titles will be charged at "regular" price (whatever that may be sale or MSRP). So they have to be bought in multiples of 2 to get the discount, unlike Target's or CC's 2/$15, etc. where each is sale priced and can be bought individually for that sale price.
Old 10-01-05, 11:07 PM

It's pretty easy to find another title in the 2 for $22 sale. Besides the ones in the flyer, there are more on sale, at least 70 titles I believe. Even if you can't find another one, it's always an option to buy another copy of the Dr. Strangelove to make this thing work. My local Borders has 5 copies.
Old 10-02-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dr Strangelove was marked at $14.99 on the shelf at my store, but it wasn't in the 2/$22 section. I picked up The Damed as well (another 2/$22 title). Saw they had the Sense and Sensibilty DVD with book edition at my store too ($23.99 on the shelf) but I passed on that.

A good deal. The normal prices were $46 for the two. I had to show the clerk the Border's ad to get the 2/$22 deal.
Old 10-02-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So the 2 for $22 sale is for October?
Old 10-02-05, 12:55 AM

Could you post the 48 titles listed for the 2/22 sale?
Old 10-02-05, 04:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sha-weet!

Got Strangelove 40th and the Thing 1982 SE for $7.97 after exchange card and gift card.
Old 10-02-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are the 48 titles in the print ad:

- Taxi Driver: CE
- Steel Magnolias: SE
- From Here To Eternity
- The Boondock Saints
- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
- Bend It Like Beckham
- Romeo + Juliet: SE
- The Last Of The Mohicans: DEE
- L'Auberge Espagnole
- Funny Girl
- Annie: SAE
- Moulin Rouge
- Dr. Strangelove: 40thAE
- Sense and Sensibility: SE (DVD + book)
- Tootsie
- Groundhog Day: SE
- Sleepless In Seattle: 10thAE
- Young Frankenstein: SE
- Edward Scissorhands: 10thAE
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind: CE
- The Day The Earth Stood Still
- Desperado: SE
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: SE
- Dead Alive
- The Ninth Gate
- Cabin Fever
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- Fright Night
- Carrie: SE
- The Amityville Horror (1979)
- Misery
- The Fog: SE
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
- The Fly/Return of the Fly (Fox Double Feature)
- Night of the Living Dead (1968, colorized)
- The Omen: SE
- The Mummy: CE
- The Mummy Returns: CE
- Ghost Story
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black (unrated DC)
- Tremors: CE
- Prince of Darkness
- Dawn of the Dead (unrated DC)
- Halloween: 25thAE
- Race With The Devil
- Suspiria (Dario Argento Collection)

There is also this link on the Borders site, which only contains a few duplicates from the list above. Neither list mentions Lawrence of Arabia, so I imagine $14.99 will be the best you can do on it. According to the print ad, prices are good through 10/31/05.
Old 10-04-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the following in the 2 for $22 sale:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (2 disc)
Dr. Strangelove (40th Anniversary)
Aliens (newer 2 disc edition)
Angels with Dirty Faces (new edition)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (2 disc)
Sleepless in Seattle.

I could not find many of the other titles of note that are being mentioned. Also, they did not have the full superbit Leon there, only a one-disc Leon: Deluxe Version that had some (but not all) of the features on the 2 disc (and of course, no dts). Has anyone else seen this edition?
Old 10-04-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
I picked up the following in the 2 for $22 sale:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (2 disc)
Dr. Strangelove (40th Anniversary)
Aliens (newer 2 disc edition)
Angels with Dirty Faces (new edition)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (2 disc)
Sleepless in Seattle.

I could not find many of the other titles of note that are being mentioned. Also, they did not have the full superbit Leon there, only a one-disc Leon: Deluxe Version that had some (but not all) of the features on the 2 disc (and of course, no dts). Has anyone else seen this edition?
Those all rang up on sale? At my Borders, the titles they had in their 2/22 section were all 14.99 or less titles. It was none of those you listed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.