Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Gamestop B2G1F 9/16-9/18

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Gamestop B2G1F 9/16-9/18

Old 09-18-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, this is the first B2G1 sale that I haven't travelled all over Long Island for. The gas prices are too cost prohibitive, effectively negating any savings I might make. Also, with no new hot video game releases in a while, the selection has been very thin. Hopefully, they run some sales around the holidays, as trade-ins really pick up around November.
Old 09-18-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Sadly, this is the first B2G1 sale that I haven't travelled all over Long Island for. The gas prices are too cost prohibitive, effectively negating any savings I might make. Also, with no new hot video game releases in a while, the selection has been very thin. Hopefully, they run some sales around the holidays, as trade-ins really pick up around November.
Around here the prices finally went back down to what they were before the hurricane, around $2.52 / gallon. I'm pretty sure that this sale was held to coincide (sp?) with prices falling back to "normal" in many areas. The week or so of high prices hurt many businesses that specialize in entertainment.

If it had still been $3 to $3.50, I wouldn't have been driving around.
Old 09-18-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to one GS around closing today and they were taking down the signs, so a sale extension is going to be YMMV at best.

So far I've gotten:

The Wire: Season 1 $29.99
Seinfeld: Volume 1 $29.99
Law & Order: Season 14 FREE

Angels in America $12.99
The Life Aquatic 2-disc $12.99
Appleseed: LE 2-disc FREE

Saw $5.00
The Cuckoo $5.00
Kill Bill Vol. 1 FREE

Kill Bill Vol. 2 $5.00
Collateral 2-disc $5.00
Young Guns SE FREE

LOTR: Return of the King $5.00
Rush: Rush in Rio $5.00
Moulin Rouge 2-disc FREE

EDIT: Used a Game Informer coupon to get:

Six Feet Under: Season 4 $49.99
Six Feet Under: Season 2 $39.99
The Sopranos: Season 4 FREE

All prices are before the 10% discount is applied. I might go back to another store tomorrow and use one of the Game Informer coupons to buy some more box sets.

Last edited by illennium; 09-19-05 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 11:33 PM

Struck out at my local GS's this sale, As ive stated before, i think there are too many sharks in the water out here.

also, all but one of the gamestops i hit switched from side facing to front to back. If that wasnt bad enough, most packed em so tight that you couldnt even flip through them. The final insult is that the rackes they used for this system were so tight that they couldnt handle DVD's in snappers cases. these had to be wedged in, and that made it even harder to flip.

Strike out again like that and i may not go back, its not worth the hassle. As it stood before i didnt bother with the 2 for $10 bins when they started standing them up instead of laying them with their spines out.
Old 09-19-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by smackattack
also, all but one of the gamestops i hit switched from side facing to front to back. If that wasnt bad enough, most packed em so tight that you couldnt even flip through them. The final insult is that the rackes they used for this system were so tight that they couldnt handle DVD's in snappers cases. these had to be wedged in, and that made it even harder to flip.

Strike out again like that and i may not go back, its not worth the hassle. As it stood before i didnt bother with the 2 for $10 bins when they started standing them up instead of laying them with their spines out.
Get the district manager's info and complain to him/her. Call the 1-800 number for corporate on the receipt and complain to them. The only way a change will happen is if we complain about it.
Old 09-19-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by smackattack
As it stood before i didnt bother with the 2 for $10 bins when they started standing them up instead of laying them with their spines out.
I checked one of the ones near me and they've started doing the same for all their DVD's. Makes it not worth the hassle, unless you're only looking for easy to spot boxed sets (although I prefer the GS that put all of their boxed sets in one location)
Old 09-19-05, 02:44 PM

eb games

eb games had the same promo until yesterday, buy 2 used dvd and get 3rd one free. i picked up:

lotr extended: return of the king = $14.99
lotr extended: the two towers = $14.99

got lotr extended: the fellowship of the ring for free (priced at $14.99 also).

Last edited by silvernackle; 09-19-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thank you guys...please complain about the rack. I manage a GS and hate them, as does everyone else in my disctrict. They get so messed up because nothing fits in them, so people leave dvds all over the place...not to mention you have to be Superman to force that stupid metal rack onto the shelves in the first place.

On a side note, since I started working at GS 2 years ago, my DVD collection has quadrupled....strangley I have no money for anything else....
Old 09-20-05, 08:35 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did pretty well myself on these.

24 Season 1
24 Season 2
24 Season 3
Enterprise Season 1
ER Season 1
ER Season 2
Will & Grace Season 2 **
Will & Grace Season 3 **
**(Got those for the wife as I thought she liked the show -- I was wrong!!)
Challenge of the Superfriends Volume 1
Gladiator (2 disc SE)
Fat Albert
Pride FC New Blood
Spiderman vs. Doc Ock
Fantasia 2000
Gilmore Girls Season 3
A couple of others I can't remember right now

Spent a little over $200 for everything.

Greg
Old 09-20-05, 09:35 AM

discostu1337, I just sent this letter to corporate via email... If there is a corporate phone number I can complain to, please provide it.

"I collect DVDs, and I buy a lot of DVDs from your store in the used bins. Probably around $1K per year at least because you have the best used prices. I went into the local Gamestop this weekend, and they have recently changed their set up for DVDs into forward facing bins.. The bins limit you from being able to look at the DVDs, so instead of just looking at the spines like normal.. I have to physically take the rows of DVDs out and look at them one by one... and this only works this way for the top row! Any row below the top row, you can't look at anything but the first DVD.. and because the next row up is so close, you can't take DVDs out.. even if you want to buy them. I had to physically remove the each row on the rack to view the DVDs below it. I gave up on the third row half way in because it was incredibly too annoying. The racks were also chewing up the spines of DVDs that were slightly larger including box sets and digipacks making them completely worthless to me. I told the employees about the problem, and they agreed and said that it was a corporate thing.. they couldn't change it. Sure enough, another local Gamestop had the same exact set up when I went in. Normally on B2G1 Free sales, I spend between $200-300, but this time I didn't spend a cent. PLEASE Change this. or I simply won't shop in your stores anymore."
Old 09-20-05, 03:38 PM

Weird, my Gamestop still has everything on a shelf spines out, except the 2-for-$10 bin.
Old 09-20-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The # for corporate is 1-800-883-8895. Call and complain about the new dump bins!

I just got off the phone w/ GS, and the guy tried to make it sound like it was a regional manager's decision. I told him that with 2 different districts here doing it and many others across the country all doing it over the weekend, it is probably a corporate directive. I figure my call won't mean much, but the more people that call, the more attention this should get.

Remember - always be polite, and stress to the person that takes you call how this new display system is costing Game Stop money because it's too difficult to see all the titles for sale. I also pointed out that I traditionally spend at least $400 on a B2G1F weekend, but this time I didn't spend anywhere near that, and the new dump bins were the reason why.