Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Space: Above and Beyond DVD at Best Buy Sept 6

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Space: Above and Beyond DVD at Best Buy Sept 6

I about fell out of my chair this morning when I saw this. It's a Best Buy exclusive. Is there any word on a general release, because if not, I'm forking over the 39.99 to get this set.

There's also a $20 off deal if you buy Space: Above and Beyond and another Fox TV sci-fi title.

Best Buy Space: Above and Beyond Link

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 09-04-05 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 09-04-05, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N2DVD
I about fell out of my chair this morning when I saw this. It's a Best Buy exclusive. Is there any word on a general release, because if not, I'm forking over the 39.99 to get this set.

There's also a $20 off deal if you buy Space: Above and Beyond and another Fox TV sci-fi title.

Best Buy Space: Above and Beyond Link
I didn't even know if it was coming out on dvd. Is this legit? I've been waiting to get this for awhile.
Old 09-04-05, 03:07 PM

Yes it is legit, if you believe giving a best-buy a monopoly on the title is legit. I don't know if an official end-date to their monopoly has been announced, but this is not the first title they've done it with. In at least one other case, the "free-market" version came out within a few months and actually had more material and of course had a street price much less than best-buy's price had been.

Monopoly pricing from best-buy is definitely an anti-deal, I recommend that anyone who values their wallet not buy this from best-buy because to do so not only means spending too much on it, but it also will encourage the practice making future releases harder and more expensive to acquire.

We've been waiting for this releases for many years now, a few more months won't hurt and will teach fox and best-buy a direct lesson.
Old 09-04-05, 03:54 PM

If you are referring the Battlestar Galactica Season 1 set, we already have street date for the general release. I haven't seen anything of the sort for S:AAB.
Old 09-05-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this in the paper and didn't know anything about the show. I absolutely love sci-fi shows and was wondering if this was any good? A quick search on dvdtalk produced nothing about the show.

Could we get a discussion going about this show because the price is great especially with the $20 off deal.
Old 09-05-05, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Monopoly pricing from best-buy is definitely an anti-deal, I recommend that anyone who values their wallet not buy this from best-buy because to do so not only means spending too much on it, but it also will encourage the practice making future releases harder and more expensive to acquire.

We've been waiting for this releases for many years now, a few more months won't hurt and will teach fox and best-buy a direct lesson.

I really don't think this is overpriced, 39.99 w/ 20.00 off if you buy other seasons (millennium s.3 not a bad idea) what should the retail be on S: AAB?
Old 09-05-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by squaresoft7
I really don't think this is overpriced, 39.99 w/ 20.00 off if you buy other seasons (millennium s.3 not a bad idea) what should the retail be on S: AAB?
The $20 off is really tempting since I've been wanting to get Firefly on DVD. Unfortunately, they sell Firefly for $10 more than online stores, but its still like saving $10.
Old 09-05-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am also curious about the quality of the show, as this is a good deal with millennium s.3. I think I read somewhere else that it will be released by FOX in the future, but with the exact same features.
Old 09-05-05, 01:18 PM

Dudes....I'm just overjoyed they considered to put this great series on DVD! I definitely think that it will be a general release in the near future...woohoo!
Old 09-05-05, 03:37 PM

For the uninformed, it's a space military adventure that follows the involvement of a squad of marines in a battle against a fairly vicious alien enemy. It's a pretty straight-forward sci-fi show that came and went, with the first season/series finale pretty much closing out the entire show. FOX (grrrr) showed it on Sunday nights right before the X-Files way back.
Old 09-05-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, does this mean the show (and series) ends on a cliff-hanger? I don't want to waste my time if everything is left unresolved. Thx
Old 09-05-05, 11:41 PM

This show was part top gun, part tour of duty, military style boot camp, part galactica feel, and a little bit of starship troopers thrown in, if i remember correctly......had great stories, and the acting wasnt half bad. Its a great show. I just hope best buy doesnt burn people with the exclusive, and then a better version arrives in a few monthes....Was odd on the galactica sets, that the info was released just before they got the UK version on the shelves.....gave fair warning for people who want the "real" complete set. I've checked all places i can think of, and cant find anything on a general release for SA&A, amazon has it listed w/cover art, but says publisher isnt printing......yet. I might pick it up with millinium S3, and not open them until later in the month to see.....(they also try to get you with the returns, so say if you buy SAA and millenium s3 for 60$ and you return one you only get 20$ back.....cause you "break" the package deal,,,,,,lame.
will have to see on this one.
Old 09-06-05, 05:53 AM

Ending on a cliff-hanger? Well, the last ep was called "Tell Our Moms We Done Our Best" and pretty much wraps the fate of the majority of the characters. So it's safe to say it really wasn't a cliffhanger.
Old 09-06-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the synopsis. "It's the year 2063. After 150 years of deep space exploration, people on Earth feel certain they are alone in the universe."

I didn't know we have been doing deep space exploration since 1913. LOL

That being said. I will definately be picking this up. It was a really good show that goes the way of all sci-fi on fox.
Old 09-06-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the heads up. the $20 off with the purchase of another fox set makes firefly all the more tempting.
Old 09-06-05, 11:43 AM

Picked it up this morning, my local best buy only had 10 copies and I was there at 10AM. Strange thing was it wasnt even on the "new" table it was shuffled in a seperate fox dvd's tv section, so hidden in fact I had to ask 3 people if they had it, (we all know of the uneducated sales staff). As far as the set it is a 5 disc set split into 3 slim cases, and so far there appear to be NO special features. Pretty bare bones, but not a bad deal.
Old 09-06-05, 01:54 PM

Sort of a duplicate thread going on over in the DVD Talk Forum where I posted this info also:
Just picked up my copy. They're flippers. Full Screen, Dolby Surround (looks like 2.1) with Spanish and French subtitles.
Just popped it into my PC at work with 19" monitor and it doesn't look bad. It's better than my old copies at least.
Little Fox booklet inside says "TV Favorites new to DVD Coming Soon!
Alien Nation (can't wait for this one)
Hill Street Blues
Over There
Space: Above and Beyond (no idea when the general release is due)
Time Tunnel
Voyage to the Bottom of the S3ea
The White Shadow
Old 09-06-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked this up with Millennium Season 3... What a great deal.

I believe the digitalbits.com said this is going to be the same excat set released a few months later (so NOT like Battlestar Galactica).

Might as well go ahead and grab it!
Old 09-07-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I am so there. I can finally retire my trusty avi discs!
Old 09-07-05, 10:17 AM

I have old vhs copies pre-cable of this.......finally get to upgrade, my reception was really bad on the last two eps, so didnt get to see what the "chigs" looked like really......