Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best price on Oldboy? worthy of a blind buy? (merged /w which B&M carry Oldboy)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best price on Oldboy? worthy of a blind buy? (merged /w which B&M carry Oldboy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best price on Oldboy? worthy of a blind buy?

Right now, it seems online is the best way to go, either with DDD or dvdplanet.com, both listing it for under $15. It retails for $30 so i'm a bit confused why they priced it so low. Will any B&M have it for less?
Old 08-21-05, 01:06 PM

Just from my own experience, Deep Discount DVD has had exceptionally low prices on independent DVD titles (such as Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Synapse, Tartan, etc.). I've never really used them for buying major studio titles since their prices are usually on par with major retailers either online or in-store.

I ordered Oldboy from DDD...and it's a blind buy for me. I've heard nothing but good things about it. The most recent Entertainment Weekly gave it an "A" and said "Everything about this Korean revenge film is simply remarkable." It may be worth taking the plunge.
Old 08-21-05, 01:19 PM

I picked up the R3 Hong Kong edition a few months ago (thank you, Philips, for making your players so easily hackable) and it's easily one of the best films I've seen this year; IMO it should have won the Palme d'Or instead of Fahrenheit 9/11. Unfortunately, it's probably not a very good blind buy because:

1. It's exceptionally brutal, and probably a good number of the people who are getting it next week will turn if off partway in disgust.
2. It's really hard to explain what's so brutal about it without giving away the twist ending.

I'd say if you can't stomach a scene where
Spoiler:
Oh Dae-Su gets revenge on one of the men who imprisoned him by pulling out several of his teeth with a claw hammer
you should probably skip this one. (That's not the Big Shocking Ending, but it's one of the more controversial scenes in the movie.)
Old 08-21-05, 01:27 PM

If you've got a circuit city nearby, they usually price Tartan titles at around $13 or $14. I thoroughly recommend Oldboy. It is a little brutal, but it is one of the few movies that has a twist ending that can actually be watched again.
Old 08-21-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's got an IMDB rating of 8.4 with over 12,000 votes so far - that could easily be the highest number of votes for a foreign film that has never had a mainstream showing in the USA (even House of Flying Daggers has less votes and it did get a mainstream showing)

It's been a favorite of the International forum here for the last two years or so

The really "painful to watch" violence is of the resevoir dogs style - you see before and after shots but you don't see the acts themselves. BUT they are so well done that a lot of people swear that they DID see the acts and then you have to get the DVD out and prove otherwise, great for bar bets in bars full of foreign film watchers.

I second circuit city, for some Tartans the only way to beat CC's B&M prices is to wait for the DDD 20% sale.
Old 08-21-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
... great for bar bets in bars full of foreign film watchers.
I'd like to find such a bar.
Old 08-21-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the mention of CC, i'll be sure to check there first for Oldboy.
Old 08-21-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second GHackmann's comments above.

Great Film
Old 08-21-05, 09:22 PM

chipping in on the topic saying basicly the same thing,

great movie, i loved it. been watching a lot of foreign, espcially asian films lately and this tops the list. Sympathy for Mr. Vengance (the first in this "revenge trilogy) was also very good.

most important thing to keep in mind is that it is very brutal, especially the part that ghackmann pointed out. either way, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. i can't wait to add it to my collection
Old 08-21-05, 09:45 PM

I'm going to order it from DDD myself, taking advantage of the 10% coupon they were nice enough to send me.

I have another question though, if Oldboy is a success on DVD here in the states do you think that Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance may get an R1 release?
Old 08-21-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts
I also purchased the Hong Kong R3 as a blind buy some months back after buying into the hype. I was captivated until the point where it is revealed why the main character has suffered through everything he has, which royally pissed me off, to the point where I can't recommend it as a blind buy.

I'm desensitized to violence, but not to stupidity, and the reason for tormenting Oh Dae Su for all that time is ludicrous and, quite frankly, insulting. It's a shame, because I truly enjoyed the majority of the film, including the deliciously ambiguous final scene, but the "explanation" ruined the film (as a whole) for me.

Originally Posted by blindrocket
I have another question though, if Oldboy is a success on DVD here in the states do you think that Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance may get an R1 release?
Sympathy is in limited theatrical release in the U.S. right now, so I think the chances of that are pretty good.
Old 08-21-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Just to throw my 2 cents into the mix, I also bought the R3 version because I thought it would never be released in the US. I liked the movie but I don't think it has too much of a "rewatchability" factor, to borrow a term from DVDTalk's review. Of course, that may just be because I have a couple of hundred unwatched DVDs laying around. For $15, you really can't go wrong.
Old 08-22-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's a fine movie, but it's definitely not something I would watch again for a LONG time due to the brutality, and due to the fact that with the brutality, it really stays with you. So I would rent it/netflix it as opposed to buy it. just my two cents.
Old 08-22-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theneobez
I think it's a fine movie, but it's definitely not something I would watch again for a LONG time due to the brutality, and due to the fact that with the brutality, it really stays with you. So I would rent it/netflix it as opposed to buy it. just my two cents.
Ditto. Definitely worth a rent (especially if you have netflix) as it's a marvelous film, but one I probably wouldn't watch again.

IMO, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is FAR inferior. Entertainment Weekly finally got a couple right this week, with an A- for Oldboy and a D for Sympathy. No spoilers here, but the violence in Oldboy works because the story is so far out there. But Sympathy is more a straight up revenge flick, albeit one with some horrible, horrible images.
Old 08-22-05, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oldboy is for 13.99 in dvdempire.
Old 08-22-05, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Is the region 1 version uncut?
Old 08-22-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Yeah, it's uncut.

I've seen Oldboy a few times, mostly to show other people, greatly entertaining movie each time with some memorable scenes and a great sense of mystery throughout.

Agreeably, the explaination - while well thought out - was a little murky, but I found is fitting.

I definitly recommend it for a blind buy, one of the better revenge flicks out there, and is definitly rewatchable. Far superior to Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance in my opinion (SfMV coulda been so much better, pretty easily, but the pacing was just.. off in that movie).

Also, the retail is $24.99, which explains the lower store prices.
Old 08-23-05, 11:04 AM

Can someone post the Circuit City price after they get it? Thanks.
Old 08-23-05, 11:36 AM

CC did not have it, but supposidly, it is $12.99. Unfortunately, their inventory is often hit and miss.

BB checked their computer and said that it doesn't come out until September 6th!?
Old 08-23-05, 12:06 PM

my CC didn't have it either. in fact the clerk was sure that it hasn't been released because it was not advertised in the sales circular
Old 08-23-05, 01:25 PM

i didn't see any copies at the fry's in fountain valley.
Old 08-23-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dvdempire has it for $13.99, http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_ite...item_id=690384 ..shipping free if you purchase 3 titles..and you can save $1 off your next order of $1 or more by using coupon code 738856 (expires 8/25/05)
Old 08-23-05, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Best Buy and Circuit City did not have Oldboy in stock, so I went and got it at Coconuts on sale for $16.99.
Old 08-23-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried three CC's (and two BB's) and came up empty...sigh...DDD here I come.
Old 08-23-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
checked Circuit City, Sam Goody, Suncoast, Walmart, Borders, Best Buy and Target.. All empty here as well..

But Blockbuster had a sole copy for rent, and it was out. Good thing I just want to own the damn movie legitly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.