Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Some preorders discounted more than usual on Amazon (merged)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Some preorders discounted more than usual on Amazon (merged)

Old 07-15-05, 09:23 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 1,640
Sin City 47% off @ Amazon ($15.99)

Enjoy
suomynona is offline  
Old 07-15-05, 09:51 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: So Southern California
Posts: 424
That link needs to be DVDTALKIFIED.
QuanTum is offline  
Old 07-15-05, 09:58 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
47% sounds nice, but when you take into account that no one will be charging $29.99 even after the release week sale, it's not as impressive :-) That's the one thing that annoys me about Amazon, the % discounts look great until you realize that it's a % off of a price that almost no one charges.

BestBuy.com lists the release week sale price at $18.99 at the moment, so the Amazon price is still pretty good if you can swing the free shipping.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 07-15-05 at 11:01 PM.
MovieExchange is offline  
Old 07-15-05, 10:54 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,052
Thanks, but I'll wait for the souped up version that'll be released near the end of the year.
cupon is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 12:59 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sweet Baby James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,587
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
47% sounds nice, but when you take into account that no one will be charging $29.99 even after the release week sale, it's not as impressive :-) That's the one thing that annoys me about Amazon, the % discounts look great until you realize that it's a % off of a price that almost no one charges.

BestBuy.com lists the release week sale price at $18.99 at the moment, so the Amazon price is still pretty good if you can swing the free shipping.
Agreed. I would be surprised if none of the big boys(Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Target, etc) doesn't have this on sale for $14.99. I know that FYE/Coconuts has a $5 rebate for this title. I appreciate the info though-it would be a good title to buy at Amazon if you need to push another order over the $25 free shipping threshold.
Sweet Baby James is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 01:07 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 732
Don't forget that this is going to be a madatroy rebuy when the other version comes out... But for $14.99, I'll pick this up to hold me over
dfriedland is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 01:42 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 57,700
Didn't know they had already planned a double dip. Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 02:07 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 5280
Posts: 3,413
Also if you buy this version, there are 4 different covers so going online does not let you choose which one you want.
Big Worms is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 02:14 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: not CT
Posts: 9,618
I'd burn some GCs on this if only there was a 2nd equally worthwhile purchase to get me over $25.
BigPete is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 03:37 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 764
Originally Posted by BigPete
I'd burn some GCs on this if only there was a 2nd equally worthwhile purchase to get me over $25.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
gjamesm is offline  
Old 07-17-05, 12:31 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,790
Originally Posted by BigPete
I'd burn some GCs on this if only there was a 2nd equally worthwhile purchase to get me over $25.
it looks like Amazon.com is pricing a few pre-orders at $15.99:
Alexander
Family Guy: Stewie Griffin Story
Krull SE
Monster-In-Law
Sahara
XXX: State of the Union

DVD Price Search
Dabaomb is offline  
Old 07-17-05, 02:05 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 2,394
is this any different than the first three seasons that i already own? in other words, is this just a collection of certain episodes put together? or is this a brand new movie/show?
runner001 is offline  
Old 07-17-05, 03:21 PM
  #13  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Originally Posted by cupon
Thanks, but I'll wait for the souped up version that'll be released near the end of the year.


Don't hold your breath.
Groucho is offline  
Old 07-17-05, 07:18 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by runner001
is this any different than the first three seasons that i already own? in other words, is this just a collection of certain episodes put together? or is this a brand new movie/show?
its an all new straight to DVD movie, but odds are it'll be split into 3 episodes and aired on television somewhere down the line.
yellowbedwetter is offline  
Old 07-17-05, 08:05 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 2,394
thanks, bedwetter
runner001 is offline  
Old 07-17-05, 10:08 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 732
Check out what's on the double dip:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/600/600858p1.html

But like I said, I'll be getting the 1st version to hold me over.....
dfriedland is offline  
Old 07-18-05, 07:58 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Originally Posted by dfriedland
Check out what's on the double dip:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/600/600858p1.html

But like I said, I'll be getting the 1st version to hold me over.....
Reading that, it sounds like that's going to be the initial release that has all that. I see no mention of a second DVD version.
Snowmaker is offline  
Old 07-18-05, 02:06 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 476
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Reading that, it sounds like that's going to be the initial release that has all that. I see no mention of a second DVD version.
It's the same thing as the Klll Bill SE's ... it's planned, and both directors talked about them, but the first discs are VERY bare bones. I'm guessing the SE won't be out for a long time, so I might consider picking the initial release up.

Edit: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/630/630476p1.html

Last edited by profbobo; 07-18-05 at 02:10 PM.
profbobo is offline  
Old 07-18-05, 03:17 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dadaluholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, OH
Posts: 5,491
Yeah I'll be buying this Sin City at my local Wal-Mart on the first day...probably for slightly less than 15.99.
dadaluholla is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 03:20 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,786
Some preorders discounted more than usual on Amazon

Got an email today from Amazon that my Cinderella: Platinum Edition was reduced in price. It's now $16.99. Same with Crash (2005). There are more in this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430713 - would be nice to compile a complete list of these "abnormal" discounts.
jmj713 is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 05:08 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,886
Are you saying that you pre-ordered it, and since they reduced the price, they're now giving it to you for the lower price? I'm curious because amazon.ca has never done that. It would be nice to not have to always check the price and then possibly cancel and re-order if it's cheaper.
andicus is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 06:08 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Polar Express is also 47% off.
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is $8.33 (72% off) -- this one looks like it may be a discount in advance of a price drop.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 06:32 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by andicus
Are you saying that you pre-ordered it, and since they reduced the price, they're now giving it to you for the lower price? I'm curious because amazon.ca has never done that. It would be nice to not have to always check the price and then possibly cancel and re-order if it's cheaper.
Whenever they have lowered prices on items I've ordered, I've had to call in for an adjustment. However, in this case, there is a notice on the item page:

Originally Posted by Amazon
We have recently lowered the price of this title. If you have already pre-ordered it, you will be charged the lower price when the item ships.
guessed is offline  
Old 07-19-05, 07:10 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,461
I wonder why Amazon has not listed the I love Lucy, seasons 1 through 5 box set that comes out in less than a month. Just wondering, I emailed them about a week ago about it.
ernestrp is offline  
Old 07-20-05, 05:08 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,786
Thanks for The Polar Express heads-up! Preordering now.
jmj713 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.