DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Gamestop Buy 2 Get 1 Free for DVDs only

Old 07-07-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamestop Buy 2 Get 1 Free for DVDs only

Stopped by 2 different gamestops today and both were running the promo, though this still may be YMMV. And for the curious, I picked up three from the bargain bin (12 Angry Men, Mr. Destiny, & A Night at the Roxbury) for $11 before the gamer's card discount. Happy hunting
Old 07-07-05, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by nonametofame
Stopped by 2 different gamestops today and both were running the promo, though this still may be YMMV. And for the curious, I picked up three from the bargain bin (12 Angry Men, Mr. Destiny, & A Night at the Roxbury) for $11 before the gamer's card discount. Happy hunting
Thanks for the info. Time to get some more anime.
Old 07-07-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Insane haul once again - many star trek seasons, My So Called Life (!), Roots, etc. Another day at Game Stop, another $600 spent.
Old 07-07-05, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Insane haul once again - many star trek seasons, My So Called Life (!), Roots, etc. Another day at Game Stop, another $600 spent.
Holy Cow! Who the heck is trading in all that stuff to your GS???
Old 07-07-05, 09:58 AM

On a trip to the Rochester, NY area Sunday I went to three different stores and ended up picking up 6 seasons of the X-Files (2-6 and 9 - marked from $29.99-$39.99), all three seasons of Alias (marked $29.99 each) and the second and third Aladdin movies along with the latest Pokemon movie (marked $5.99 each). Total with tax: under $230, which included a year of their discount card. Since the X-Files sets are back to their regular high price, what I paid was about 1/3 of what I would pay for new. Not too bad IMO.
Old 07-07-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nonametofame
Interesting, I stopped by Gamestop on the way home from work last night, and there was no sale running. I'll check again tonight.
Old 07-07-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Interesting, I stopped by Gamestop on the way home from work last night, and there was no sale running. I'll check again tonight.
The first one I went to on Sunday didn't tell me about the sale and charged me for all 3 discs. I didn't know about the sale at the time either, but was informed of it at the next store I went to. That guy said it was promotion wide, and the person at the first store obviously didn't check their email. Store two called Store one and told them what was going on, and I ended up driving back to Store one to get my money back for that third disc.

I don't know how long this sale is lasting, but I may hit up a couple stores tomorrow when I make the rounds.
Old 07-07-05, 12:24 PM

I had a similar situation at the first of the three stores in Rochester I went to. I asked the clerk if there was any deals on the pre-owned discs, and they said they had found out literally minutes earlier about the promotion, and they hadn't had time to put any signs out yet.
Old 07-07-05, 03:27 PM

I stopped by GameStop today and picked up:

Smallville S2 - $29.99
Smallville S3 - $34.99
Law & Order: SVU S1 - FREE ($24.99 otherwise)

Pretty good deal as all three sets are perfect and look like they were viewed once and then put back on a shelf.
Old 07-07-05, 04:44 PM

It definitely seems like some stores haven't gotten the message from corporate. However, two of the three I went to in central Jersey did have the B2G1 offer, and I made out like a bandit:

Godfather Collection, Sopranos 4, C.S.I. 1 for $79.98.
Awful Truth Season 1 (Disks 1 and 2) and RVD: One of a Kind for $10.
Old 07-07-05, 06:33 PM

I hit 2 in Central Jersey too, nothing particular that I wanted unfortunately, but still caught a small buy:
Adaptation $7.99
Speed 5 Star Collection $5 (5.99 minus .99 for 2 for 10)
Daredevil Directors Cut $5.99 *FREE*
Old 07-07-05, 06:34 PM

you guys must luck out. Whenever i go to gamestop/eb's/FYE to browse the used movies in hopes of finding a gem, i end up finding nothing but millions of copies of fairly recent crappy comedies like Barbershop and How High and the lastest Ben Affleck flick. And almost all of them are in fullscreen. I did see the Independence Day 5 Star the other day and was tempted to snag it, but they were selling it for like $17 and it didn't seem like that nice of a deal for a used dvd.
Old 07-07-05, 06:58 PM
Banned

you guys must luck out. Whenever i go to gamestop/eb's/FYE to browse the used movies in hopes of finding a gem, i end up finding nothing but millions of copies of fairly recent crappy comedies like Barbershop and How High and the lastest Ben Affleck flick. And almost all of them are in fullscreen. I did see the Independence Day 5 Star the other day and was tempted to snag it, but they were selling it for like $17 and it didn't seem like that nice of a deal for a used dvd.
you are comparing 3 different stores which each has a different price bracket for their use DVDs. Gamestop is the best, since they usually sell their used DVDs for $12.99 and sometimes have boxsets for $5.99 up to $29.99. EB Games usually sell used DVDs for $14.99, no matter what movie it is. Very rarely you will find a film at this store for less than $9.99. FYE prices used DVDs like if they are new. I have seen in FYE an used, old release of Mulan selling for $22.99. Rarely you can find a gem on FYE. I have found some though. I bought Flash Gordon, Dracula (when it was out of print) and some other Universal early releases for $5.99 . I also have bought some Criterions from $10.95 . It all depends if you are at the right time, right place to find those hidden used gems.
Old 07-07-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stopped at a Gamestop after work tonight.

$14.99 White Noise
$12.99 Hero
FREE Disney's Beauty & The Beast

Don't remember the other group of 3 I picked up... Aladdin and another film, with Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Essentials as my free one.

Had to argue with the clerk to not take the lowest 2 as my free ones.
Old 07-07-05, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Stopped at a Gamestop after work tonight.

$14.99 White Noise
$12.99 Hero
FREE Disney's Beauty & The Beast

Don't remember the other group of 3 I picked up... Aladdin and another film, with Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Essentials as my free one.

Had to argue with the clerk to not take the lowest 2 as my free ones.
Ugh, I hate that. The same thing happened to me when they had B2G1 on all used items... I went up to the counter with three stacks of three items each, said "I'd like to get these (put one stack on the counter), these (stack 2), and these (stack 3)", and he rings them all up for $20 more than I was expecting. I had to get him to void the transaction and do it as three separate purchases. I'm sure he thought I was being a PITA, but, as I stated, it was a $20 difference.
Old 07-08-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the employees say that they can't do it all in one transaction, they are lying or ill-informed. I have had store managers at at least three different locations do everything in one transaction just fine. These people, for some reason, enjoy making up rules on the fly just to make life difficult sometimes. Also, make sure that they ring in your 10% discount cards. I've had employees at two different stores tell me that I couldn't get the discount until I had their managers correct them. I guess the road to great deals does have some minor bumps...
Old 07-08-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
If the employees say that they can't do it all in one transaction, they are lying or ill-informed. I have had store managers at at least three different locations do everything in one transaction just fine. These people, for some reason, enjoy making up rules on the fly just to make life difficult sometimes. Also, make sure that they ring in your 10% discount cards. I've had employees at two different stores tell me that I couldn't get the discount until I had their managers correct them. I guess the road to great deals does have some minor bumps...
Actually, they aren't lying. Corporate does tell them that they're to take the absolute lowest. Most stores, however, realize that pissing off the customer is not a good idea and they ignore the rule. For those that insist on following this moronic "rule," I make them ring up each group of 3 as separate purchases. I then point out that it's costing corporate more money on receitpts / credit card costs / employee time, and it's really pissing off the people behind me as the line grows and grows.

Usually they see it my way and ring up everything the way I want it to.
Old 07-08-05, 02:23 PM
Banned

I got:
The Sixth Sense (Vista Series) - Mint
Seven (Platinum Series) - Very Good
The Sound of Music (2 Disc Special Edition) - Mint
The Emperor's New Groove (2 Disc Special Edition) - Very Good
Predator (2 Disc Special Edition) - Mint
The Chapelle Show Season 1 - Very Good
for $46

and at another gamestop:
24 Season 2
24 Season 3
Toy Story 1 & 2
for $56

pretty good haul!
Old 07-08-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone know how long the promotion is supposed to last? Here's hoping that it's running on Sunday, because I'll be heading about an hour south and there's 4 Gamestops in the area. 2 of them are usually pretty good on the box set.
Old 07-08-05, 11:37 PM
Banned

The manager at a store nearby told me that the sale was until Sunday June 10th.
Old 07-09-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dx23
The manager at a store nearby told me that the sale was until Sunday JULY 10th.
FIXED!
Old 07-09-05, 11:19 AM
Banned

Thanks Dabaomb!
Old 07-10-05, 12:50 AM

I bought the following today:

Ren & Stimpy - The First and Second Seasons $19.99
Ren & Stimpy - Seasons Three and a Half-ish $19.99
Magnolia $12.99 (FREE)

Seven (New Line Platinum Series) $10.99
The Usual Suspects (Special Edition) $9.99
Idle Hands (Widescreen & Full-Screen Version) $5.99 (FREE)
Old 07-10-05, 12:36 PM

My purchase:

You Only Live Twice - $9.99
Live and Let Die - $9.99
The Living Daylights - Free

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - $9.99
Octopussy - $9.99
From Russia With Love - Free

A View to a Kill - $6.99
Thunderball - $6.99
Diamonds Are Forever - Free

Originally, the salesperson wouldn't allow me to group the movies this way. So, of course, I said "why don't I just buy 3, leave the store, and come back?". Finally, the salesman agreed to do it, but asked that I pretend that I have changed my mind before I leaving the store so as to keep up appearances for the store cameras.

So I made my acting debut at Gamestop today.
Old 07-10-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23
The manager at a store nearby told me that the sale was until Sunday June 10th.
So if I go today, will the sale still be running?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.