Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

WB / New Line $4.88 DVDs--WalMart

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 194 Posts
I wish Maverick would be included in one of these sales. Anyone seen it by chance?
Old 05-28-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully I'll be able to pick up:

Assassins
Demolition Man
Murder at 1600

I'll check my local Walmart tomorrow morning.
Old 05-29-05, 04:46 AM

As soon as I saw this thread, I ran down to our local Wal Mart and grabbed a copy of Frequency. So, after work tonight I opened up the snapper case, removed the security tape, and discovered...

No DVD! Gaaaaaaah! I've never had this happen, ever, since I started buying DVD's a couple of years ago! Anyone else ever have this traumatizing experience?

I'm going to go to Wal Mart tomorrow morning and see what they can do about this...I've heard they're pretty good about returns, etc.
Old 05-29-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good luck on that one. Some walmart's have ultra-paranoid employees who will accuse you of returning stuff just to steal 10 cents in tax, while others still care about customer service. If I were you, I would get the 24-hour wal-mart customer service 800# off their website and have it in the car so if the locals shoot you down, you can immediately appeal. The 800# people are usually much better about keeping the customer happy.
Old 05-29-05, 11:54 AM

$4.88 "secret" is officially out--

On the front page of the Wal Mart ad in today's papers, so the "hot" titles will likely be going quickly--get 'em while you can
Old 05-29-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There are a few titles in the $4.88 list I'd like to buy (most of the titles I already have or don't want), but I don't want any of them bad enough to fight the crowds over the Memorial Weekend even though Walmart is pretty close by. On weekday mornings (except holidays) it's possible for me to park near the store where I can walk inside in about 30 seconds. On a weekend or holiday I have to park on the other side of the large parking lot and it takes a couple minutes to walk inside and the lines at every register are a minimum of 10 people deep.

I'll try for the $4.88 DVDs on Tuesday morning, but if everything I want has been cleaned out over the weekend (as I fully expect to happen) then so be it. There are lots of deals I've passed on (including up to $40 in savings on non-DVD items) on weekends or holidays because I hate fighting traffic and crowds.

Too bad Walmart couldn't have waited until AFTER the Memorial Day weekend to put out the $4.88 bins. So my only hope will be that Walmart will restock them. The last round of $4.88 Paramount DVDs lasted a while, but again they didn't have to survive a holiday weekend.
Old 05-29-05, 03:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I didn't see the Wal-Mart ad in my paper today (maybe I'm blind or maybe no ad). But an employee in the Vancouver, WA store told me a couple of days ago that their display was going up June 1. YMMV.
Old 05-29-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I doubt it...the theatrical versions still have an MSRP of [b]$14.99[.b] so they sell at $19.99 at most stores.
Do you have that backwards by any chance
Old 05-30-05, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Good luck on that one. Some walmart's have ultra-paranoid employees who will accuse you of returning stuff just to steal 10 cents in tax, while others still care about customer service. If I were you, I would get the 24-hour wal-mart customer service 800# off their website and have it in the car so if the locals shoot you down, you can immediately appeal. The 800# people are usually much better about keeping the customer happy.
Thanks, Jah-Ren! Fortunately I didn't run into any paranoiacs, and my return went as smoothly as could be hoped for. The customer service lady was skeptical, but approved the exchange as long as all I wanted was to pick up the same disc again, which was what I wanted. Not trying to scam Wal Mart, nosiree! I asked to open the snapper case before I took the disc home, which is Wal Mart policy anyway...all was in order, and I watched Frequency tonight. Good movie!
Old 05-30-05, 02:21 PM

I have been to 2 Wal-Marts in the Denver area and neither store is running this sale. We were a little late in the $4.88 Paramount sale, so I hope it is coming. I want to pick up the Leathal Weapons!!!
Old 05-30-05, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cornbetts
I have been to 2 Wal-Marts in the Denver area and neither store is running this sale. We were a little late in the $4.88 Paramount sale, so I hope it is coming. I want to pick up the Leathal Weapons!!!
Make that 3. Brighton store is not running it.
Old 05-30-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Do you have that backwards by any chance

oops, my bad....they should call me the "Typo King"
Old 05-30-05, 05:26 PM

For those of you not finding this bargain yet, I believe the Walmart ad stated at the top "prices in effect June 1st."
Old 05-30-05, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
As soon as I saw this thread, I ran down to our local Wal Mart and grabbed a copy of Frequency. So, after work tonight I opened up the snapper case, removed the security tape, and discovered...

No DVD! Gaaaaaaah! I've never had this happen, ever, since I started buying DVD's a couple of years ago! Anyone else ever have this traumatizing experience?

I'm going to go to Wal Mart tomorrow morning and see what they can do about this...I've heard they're pretty good about returns, etc.
I bought The Jeff Healey Band Live at Montreux 1999 from Circuit City a few weeks back and the case was empty. I took it back the next day, the first employee wasn't sure what to do and called over another worker who said it happens and told me to go get another copy. I made sure the disc was in it before I left.
Old 05-30-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I stopped by Walmart today and they had the bin set up and it looked untouched. I suspect because there was no sign or prices advertised.

Last edited by Samuel; 05-30-05 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-30-05, 07:50 PM

I checked at our wal-mart yesterday..no display and the employee i talked to knew nothing about it.
Old 05-31-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from my local WalMart, Seneca SC, and I went a tad overboard. I wanted to pick up the Lethal Weapon flicks, but I held off because they didn't have the first one. That said, now that I've thought about it, I'm going to go back and get Lethal Weapon 2-4 since this is too good of a price. All I'll have to do is pick up the first one for cheap and I'll have the series finally. Anyway, I did pick up ten titles:

-A Time To Kill
-Frequency
-Little Nicky
-Money Talks
-The Negotiator
-Romeo Must Die
-Rush Hour (keepcase)
-Rush Hour 2 (keepcase)
-Three Amigos
-U.S. Marshals

I don't think I was supposed to buy these yet though. As I was looking through all of the DVDs, two workers came over and started packing it up. As soon as I walked away they rolled the setup into the back of the store. I take it that 6/1/05 date is indeed official.

They still let me buy them though, and they did ring up fine.
Old 05-31-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Time To Kill was tempting for me but I'll held off since I last checked it's a flipper.
Old 06-01-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I visited the $4.88 rack at my Walmart and it was full, so maybe it was just put up. I mainly wanted Lethal Weapon 2 & 3 Director's Cuts (having picked up #1 some time ago), but LW 2 was the old dual-format edition.

Are other people finding their $4.88 racks don't have the LW 2 Director's Cut or is it just my store?

I bought 10 titles with half of them ones I've never seen. I figure I've got at least 30 days (my Walmart never can give me a straight answer on the return period... sometimes they say 30, 45, 60, or even 90 days if unopened) to rent the movies (which will cost less than $1 each if I can find them) and decide if I want to keep them. I've learned I can't wait weeks to watch them and decide because the racks could be gone by then. I passed on all the flippers (such as A Time to Kill) and dual format ones (such as Above the Law) because I prefer more bitrate dedicated to the movies or extras.

It would've been a really incredible deal if there were more titles I wanted, but I already owned Poltergeist (the very first DVD I ever bought for the bargain price of $20 at Costco in 1998), Demolition Man, Eraser, Frequency, LW 1 & 4, Rush Hour 1 & 2, Ace Ventura (bought back before I knew it was pan & scan), US Marshals, Murder at 1600, and Three Amigos - most of the old ones bought for $15 each at Montgomery Ward's sale back when I thought $15 was a good price for a DVD. I hope these sales keep coming.

Last edited by Manzana; 06-01-05 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-01-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stopped by yesterday and picked up:

Three Amigos
Assassins
Demolition Man
Murder at 1600

Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and get a few more titles.
Old 06-01-05, 12:57 PM

I just bought New Line's "Set It Off"

and it's in a Keepcase
Old 06-01-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts
Picked up The Negotiator. Saw the same titles as everyone else. Thankfully these are in a nice display, atleast we can look thru them like civilized human beings.
Old 06-01-05, 03:51 PM
Banned

There isn't a Wall-Mart near me, are any of these in a weekly ad online that I could download, bring to my local Best Buy, and have them pricematch it?
Old 06-01-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dalvin
There isn't a Wall-Mart near me, are any of these in a weekly ad online that I could download, bring to my local Best Buy, and have them pricematch it?
Here's the $4.88 page or you can print a circular page by entering your zip code here:

http://www.walmart.com/ecircular/ca_ecircularfinder.gsp
Old 06-01-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the devils advocate in Full Screen/Widescreen double sided?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.