DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   The Aviator, with bonus disc at Walmart - $14.77 YMMV (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/424121-aviator-bonus-disc-walmart-%2414-77-ymmv.html)

tofferman 05-25-05 10:23 AM

The Aviator, with bonus disc at Walmart - $14.77 YMMV

I was at Walmart yesterday and they were offering The Aviator both with and without a bonus disc (an additional keepcase shrinkwrapped together) for the same price ($14.77). The bonus disc as stated on the package includes:

1) Howard Hughes: A Brief Biography. Contains interview with Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese, Michael Mann and others.

2) A Red Carpet Extravaganza: "The Aviator" film premieres from around the world (US, London, Rome and Berlin). Red carpet interviews with Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese, Alan Alda, Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale, Gwen Stefani and others.

I have yet to view this bonus disc, so I cannot comment on it's quality (anamorphic? I doubt it) or value. It doesn't seem like much of a bonus disc and has a run time of 26 minutes, but for you completists out there (you know who you are), you may want to have this in addition to the regular release.

Simpson Purist 05-25-05 10:46 AM

Can't be as good as Circuit City's deal (free DVD of Hughes' controversial movie "The Outlaw").

animatedude 05-25-05 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
Can't be as good as Circuit City's deal (free DVD of Hughes' controversial movie "The Outlaw").

i dissagree! i think these extras sound awsome...i wonder if i can get the bonus disc alone...cos i've pre ordered the amazon.de limited edition tin yesterday.

animatedude 05-25-05 04:45 PM

ohh i've just checked their website!

i dunno iam really interested in those extras...but it will be too much since i'll have the limited edition tin as well...do u think i should purchase it guys..or i'll find it later on ebay?

Jtnguyen12 05-25-05 05:35 PM

Nebraska Funiture Mart have it for $9.99 ;)

eau 05-25-05 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
Nebraska Funiture Mart have it for $9.99 ;)

Darn! This place seems to have black Friday-like doorbusters lately.

MvRojo 05-26-05 02:03 AM

The Wal-Mart I went to only had the bonus disc with the FS copies. I had this same problem when they had a bonus disc with Sky Captain.

digitalfreaknyc 05-26-05 08:36 AM

Ugh...looks like i'm going to have to see if Mom and Dad can pick me up a copy.

Is the movie individually wrapped apart from the bonus disc by any chance?

tofferman 05-26-05 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Ugh...looks like i'm going to have to see if Mom and Dad can pick me up a copy.

Is the movie individually wrapped apart from the bonus disc by any chance?

They are shrinkwrapped together side-by-side. Friday Night Lights with the bonus disc was packaged the same way. My Walmart had both Widescreen and Foolscreen versions with the bonus disc.

digitalfreaknyc 05-26-05 09:35 AM

OK but then are they individually shrink wrapped underneath that?

Manzana 05-26-05 10:13 AM

My Walmart wanted $19.44 for The Aviator with bonus DVD, and of course they wouldn't pricematch my Fry's ad for $13.99 because of the bonus DVD.

Since I can't find any sort of reviews of the transfer quality of The Outlaw (Platinum vs. Madacy vs. The Roan Group editions), I have to assume the Platinum edition is poor quality and inferior to the Roan Group. DVD Basen had nothing on it. It's amazing the "wonderful" Google only turned up a few hits and they turned out to be Amazon reviews where a couple people went into amazingly helpful detail like (and I'm paraphrasing) "it's watchable but there are a lot of print flaws" for Platinum or "the print is clean and the quality is good" for the Roan Group. Those 2 morsels of information make it sound like the Roan Group is the only version to get, and yet it's not even clear to me how a person would buy the Roan Group version if he wanted to as sites like Amazon do not specifically list the Roan Group. Amazon says Madacy while the Amazon reviews only mention the Platinum and Roan Group releases of it. It's very confusing and too much effort to try to dig into further.

If that's the sum total of DVD review info that exists on all the Internet for this movie, I'll return The Aviator/The Outlaw to CC next week and keep the $13.99 one I bought because I don't feel like paying $1 for a bad transfer of The Outlaw (a movie which I've never seen) nor pay almost $6 more at Walmart for a 26 minute bonus DVD (even if they might become worth a fortune on eBay which is what often happens with bonus DVDs I pass on) whose 26 minutes of extras should've been included in the 2-DVD package. On principle I can't pay extra for bonus DVDs just as I can't rebuy most of the double and triple dips that studios like to do (such as the next Gladiator 3-DVD edition). Sorry to rant there for a moment, but a lot of things I do are on principle such as trying to get the best deal.

digitalfreaknyc 05-26-05 03:39 PM

My mom just went to the Wal Mart in Shelton, CT and they had none. In fact, they didn't even know what she was talking about (no surprise). :( Can anyone pick me up one?

jayceman 05-26-05 04:12 PM

Mpls/St. Paul people,

The Wal Mart on University Ave in St Paul, has FS and WS versions with the addl. DVD for $14.87

digitalfreaknyc 05-26-05 04:19 PM

Jayce,

Any chance you might be able to pick me up a copy?

coolbleu 05-26-05 05:10 PM

I'll have to checkout the Walmart by me to see if they have that Aviator w/bonus disc for $14.77. I had picked up a copy on Tuesday from CC for a friend of mine.

emerald9999 05-26-05 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by tofferman
They are shrinkwrapped together side-by-side. Friday Night Lights with the bonus disc was packaged the same way. My Walmart had both Widescreen and Foolscreen versions with the bonus disc.

Which Walmart did you go to? I'm going to check in Martinez tonight on the way home.

tofferman 05-26-05 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by emerald9999
Which Walmart did you go to? I'm going to check in Martinez tonight on the way home.

I went to the store in San Leandro. And just a fyi, the bonus disc is also shrinkwrapped separately (both are shrinkwrapped together as well).

digitalfreaknyc 05-26-05 11:03 PM

Well...if anyone can pick it up for me, i'll pay ya back :)

emerald9999 05-27-05 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by tofferman
I went to the store in San Leandro. And just a fyi, the bonus disc is also shrinkwrapped separately (both are shrinkwrapped together as well).

Thanks. I did not see it at Martinez, they just had the regular pack for 16.xx. Might check out San Leandro over the weekend.

Cameron 05-27-05 08:00 PM

OK but then are they individually shrink wrapped underneath that?

same question

digitalfreaknyc 05-27-05 11:05 PM

My parents checked all the Wally Worlds near them and none of them had this bonus disc. :( To add to that (and not that it's surprising), none of the people there knew anything about it.

animatedude 05-28-05 12:07 AM

since it's only 26 min long...i think someone should just rip it and upload it in h ere. ;)

shaggy 05-28-05 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by animatedude
since it's only 26 min long...i think someone should just rip it and upload it in h ere. ;)

Good idea, we need a site for torrents of all bonus discs. I would love to buy them but there are never enough, I missed the Scrubs disc at best buy last week, and i was there the first day

digitalfreaknyc 05-28-05 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by shaggy
Good idea, we need a site for torrents of all bonus discs. I would love to buy them but there are never enough, I missed the Scrubs disc at best buy last week, and i was there the first day

I've emailed you about this request, Shaggy. :)

Btw...has ANYONE else but Tofferman seen this disc?? I can't find any information about it on the net besides this post...not even on other forums. Not saying he's lying because that's just silly but I tried to email him to get a copy and unfortunately, I can't. :(

CloudVader 05-28-05 04:58 PM

I've emailed you about this request, Shaggy. :)

Btw...has ANYONE else but Tofferman seen this disc?? I can't find any information about it on the net besides this post...not even on other forums. Not saying he's lying because that's just silly but I tried to email him to get a copy and unfortunately, I can't. :(

I have it in my hands right now, but I haven't opened it yet.

So it does exist, unlike those dark chocolate M&M's that don't seem to be anywhere in south Jersey. I don't believe they exist. :)