Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$0.25ea. DVDs at Target

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$0.25ea. DVDs at Target

Dollar Section at the front of the stores has their previous season's merch. clearanced to 25 cents each,

Includes several DVDs in barebones paperboard boxes--most titles are public domain and common, but if you don't have a title like "His Girl Friday" with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell, take that quarter out of your pocket and spring for it!
Old 05-19-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
If they have LAST MAN ON EARTH, by all means buy it! Not only is it widescreen, but it is the best print that I've seen of this film yet.
Old 05-19-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess these are the ones I paid 1.00 for a couple of weeks ago. One disc had Whistle Stop and Detour on it. The other was Kansas City Confidential, a Dragnet episode and a cartoon and the other Was Lil Abner, an Andy Griffith episode and cartoon. They had quite a few others. Will have to check it out. Quality is not that great though.....
Old 05-19-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you sure that the public domain Last Man on Earth print is even better then the recent MGM Midnite Movies print? Because that is by far the best print that I have seen for that film.
Old 05-19-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, they were $0.50 at my Target. I want a refund.
Old 05-19-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I just bought 8 of these tonight. Sadly, no "Last Man on Earth" There were also some crappy CDs and fairly lame computer programs for a quarter a piece.
Old 05-19-05, 10:28 PM

Could not find "Last Man On Earth" at my Target in Massachusetts either. Did find the "His Girl Friday" double-feature disc.
Old 05-19-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
They were $1 at my Target.
Old 05-19-05, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Nice, I better buy a copy of each.

Watch em, then trade em in at BB.
Old 05-19-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bobbin
Nice, I better buy a copy of each.

Watch em, then trade em in at BB.
I doubt you could trade these in at BB. During their $8 trade-in deal last October, they wouldn't take my single disc version of "Time Bandits". The clerk told me that it didn't have the specific region 1 icon -- the 1 against a globe backdrop. I don't believe it was listed in their system either. I bought it from Target about 2 years ago for $9.44.
Old 05-20-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Are you sure that the public domain Last Man on Earth print is even better then the recent MGM Midnite Movies print? Because that is by far the best print that I have seen for that film.
I don't know. I haven't seen the MGM Midnite Movies print. But I do know that the print on the $1 (now $0.25) DVD at Target is far FAR superior to the 3 other prints I've seen (which were Pan and Scan and quality worse than VHS). It is SO good, IMO, that unless the MGM disc is anamorphic, there is no reason for me to buy it.
Old 05-20-05, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sracer
I don't know. I haven't seen the MGM Midnite Movies print. But I do know that the print on the $1 (now $0.25) DVD at Target is far FAR superior to the 3 other prints I've seen (which were Pan and Scan and quality worse than VHS). It is SO good, IMO, that unless the MGM disc is anamorphic, there is no reason for me to buy it.
I picked up THE LAST MAN ON EARTH disc when Target had it last Fall. There's actually an MGM logo at the very beginning of the disc, so it may have been ripped from a laser disc. It's non-anamorphic and there are no chapter stops, but it's the best looking DVD that I ever purchased for a dollar. I doubt that you'll find any of these copies at Target now 'cause word spread across the internet when people found out how good this disc actually was . . . haven't seen any copies at my local Target since when they were originally sold last Fall. But, if you do find one, grab it!
Old 05-20-05, 12:32 PM
Banned

WOW even for these movies can't beat .25!!
Old 05-20-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
It is SO good, IMO, that unless the MGM disc is anamorphic, there is no reason for me to buy it.
The MGM disc is anamorphic. Trust me, it blows away any of the previous PD transfers -- even the really good ones that were rips from the previous Image laserdisc.

It'll cost you more than a quarter... but for a movie this good it's worth it.
Old 05-21-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Went to 2 targets and no Last Man on Earth at either. I guess just wait and see it the Midnite thing ever gets released.
Old 05-21-05, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I guess just wait and see it the Midnite thing ever gets released.
I was able to pick up the Midnite Movie: Last Man on Earth/Panic in Year Zero DVD at amazon.ca. Apparently, the disc exists in Canada. It set me back about $18 US, but the transfer is, as previously mentioned, excellent. The DVD may still be in stock (I received it about three weeks ago).
Old 05-21-05, 09:04 PM

I bought a bunch of stuff today from my Target including His Girl Friday, Whistle Stop, Detour, Kansas City Confidential, Life with Father, Little Princess, Angel and the Badman, Lawless Frontier, Sword of Lancelot, Nothing Sacred, Flying Dueces, At War with the Army, My Favorite Brunette, but could not find Last Man on Earth.

Could someone that bought Last Man on Earth please post all information available: what is the name of the collection it is in (all of these things have names like Standing Ovation or Mystery Theater), and the sku.

Thanks
Old 05-21-05, 10:23 PM

His Girl Friday rocks. I had to buy the expensive remaster because I thought this movie is one of the best ever. However, I will be looking for Orson Welles "The Stranger" at Target.
Old 05-21-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The Stranger and Last Man on Earth are NOT going to be found during this sale. Those DVDs were clearanced out of Target months ago. I should know because I bought them on clearance. Those DVDs were made by Genius Entertainment, a disvision of Genius Products. www.genuisproducts.com

The current batch of cheap DVDs at Target were made by PC Treasures.

Edit: I found a link to the Genius Entertainment DVDs at Amazon.

Last Man on Earth:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0006B97BG

The Stranger:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0006JCFN0/

Note that Amazon is wrong about the region code info, and that these DVD are all region.

Last edited by Jay G.; 05-21-05 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-21-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, just checked my Genius DVD for McLintock, which looks to be in Widescreen, although a little worse for wear:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0006JC4UO/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0002OSN8U/
Old 05-21-05, 11:39 PM

Out of curiosity, what're the cases like on these? The ones at my Target were all those cardboard-box cases (unlike any other cases I've seen). I'm wondering if I have a more "normal" case to look forward to once opening the cardboard box, or if that's all there is to it..

-JP
Old 05-21-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Basically, the DVD is wedged into a little cardboard "pocket" inside the box. Nothing fancy about it. What's worse, there's no insert either.
Old 05-22-05, 12:26 AM

Ah. I'll probably be passing on them, then. I was hoping to get something comparable to the Wal-Mart $1 releases when browsing through the titles. I figured, "$0.25 a movie, I don't care what it is, that's a must-buy price for me." Then I saw that the cases wouldn't look good on my shelves, could easily get damaged just from opening and closing too often, and (I'd assume) could damage the discs...so I decided to check in here. Shame there's not a slimcase hidden away inside of that little cardboard box. If there was, I'd have bought something like 36 movies for $9. ;)

-JP
Old 05-22-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

are they in cardboard boxes or slim cases...i have seen both at targets in this area
Old 05-22-05, 04:35 AM

All of the $0.25 titles at my local Target were in paperboard boxes (as in, you could literally rip the case in two if you were so inclined). I was hoping for slim cases, as in...a mini-me version of the keepcases that most DVD's come in (like the ones in the Family Guy sets, King of the Hill sets, and so forth).

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.