Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) X-Files Season Box Sets $49.99 @ Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i picked up seasons 2 and 3 from Best Buy and seasons 4, 5 and 6 from DDD. i only regret not getting season 1 from Best Buy during this sale, and if they kept it going, i would have picked up the others before the sale ended. oh well i guess.
Old 06-27-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,528 Posts
Hmm... I thought for sure, with Costco also lowering prices on these, that this was going to be the new retail price or something. Oh well, off to Costco I guess...
Old 06-27-05, 03:34 PM

It is annoying that BB decided to end the sale early, probably because the profit margin wasn't up to their standards. I bought S6 via DDD and finished off the rest of the series with Costco. Going for the series means I won't be able to get the TV shows I want releasing in September, but priority had to go to the best deal.
Old 06-28-05, 12:13 AM

I had the unpleasant experience today of having to drive half an hour to the nearest Best Buy just to exchange seasons 3 and 4 which I had ordered from BestBuy.com and had arrived to me in terrible condition. Instead of being sent in a cardboard box, like season 2 was, they decided to start sending them in flimsy padded plastic envelopes. They were dinged, bent, corners crushed... They looked like they were stepped on, dragged across the floor, and crushed.

Anyway, does anyone have anything good to say about DeepDiscountDVDs shipping of the X-Files sets? I'd like to buy seasons 5 and 6 from them (and eventually 7, 8, and 9 if they continue with their pattern of sale prices). Do they ship them in sturdy cardboard boxes? Did they arrive in good condition?

Thanks
Old 06-28-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Error Macro
Anyway, does anyone have anything good to say about DeepDiscountDVDs shipping of the X-Files sets? I'd like to buy seasons 5 and 6 from them (and eventually 7, 8, and 9 if they continue with their pattern of sale prices). Do they ship them in sturdy cardboard boxes? Did they arrive in good condition?
I can't comment specifically on the X-Files sets, but I've ordered hundreds of DVDs from DDD -- single discs, large sets, and everything in between. I've never received anything other than an appropriately sized cardboard box. And I actually can't remember having to ever return anything to them damaged either. I think you can probably place your order with confidence.
Old 06-28-05, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the reply, bboisvert. I'll be ordering them from DDD.com soon. Since they ship everything in cardboard boxes, I know I won't be having the same problems as with BestBuy.com. I emailed them a couple of times about that specific problem of sending out heavy TV series boxsets in flimsy little plastic envelopes, and they just replied with something along the lines of: "Sorry for the inconvenience. We are here to help you in every way we can. Thanks." Screw them. I'm not ordering anything from them ever again.
Old 06-28-05, 06:07 PM

I had the unpleasant experience today of having to drive half an hour to the nearest Best Buy just to exchange seasons 3 and 4 which I had ordered from BestBuy.com and had arrived to me in terrible condition. Instead of being sent in a cardboard box, like season 2 was, they decided to start sending them in flimsy padded plastic envelopes. They were dinged, bent, corners crushed... They looked like they were stepped on, dragged across the floor, and crushed.
Same happened to me. So I returned them and bought better ones at a B&M Best Buy.

Anyways, how were you able to do an exchange at Best Buy? Their policy is that if you buy something from bestbuy.com, they won't do an exchange. Instead, they will let you return the item there, and then you can buy the item again at the current in-store price. If the in-store price is higher than the price you paid at bestbuy.com, then you're screwed. Did you have to pay 96.99 for the seasons you wanted to exchange?
Old 06-28-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sldvd
Same happened to me. So I returned them and bought better ones at a B&M Best Buy.

Anyways, how were you able to do an exchange at Best Buy? Their policy is that if you buy something from bestbuy.com, they won't do an exchange. Instead, they will let you return the item there, and then you can buy the item again at the current in-store price. If the in-store price is higher than the price you paid at bestbuy.com, then you're screwed. Did you have to pay 96.99 for the seasons you wanted to exchange?
I ordered the Manchurian Candidate back in January when it came out and they sent me FS instead of WS. The clerk returned it for me and then said, I'll need to adjust the price of the in-store one here so that you're not charged more. I didn't have any problems them. Is this something new they are doing by not exchanging items if they are damaged/incorrect?
Old 06-28-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gelee
No biggie. Costco's got'em for $46. In case you hadn't noticed:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427737

Anybody ever tried getting BB to pricematch Costco?
Yes - one of the 3 Best Buy stores in my city is in the same shopping center as a Costco. They PM without blinking an eye.
Old 06-28-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserdogg
Yes - one of the 3 Best Buy stores in my city is in the same shopping center as a Costco. They PM without blinking an eye.
I've never been able to PM any store to Costco because it's a "membership" store
Old 06-29-05, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, bboisvert. I'll be ordering them from DDD.com soon. Since they ship everything in cardboard boxes, I know I won't be having the same problems as with BestBuy.com. I emailed them a couple of times about that specific problem of sending out heavy TV series boxsets in flimsy little plastic envelopes, and they just replied with something along the lines of: "Sorry for the inconvenience. We are here to help you in every way we can. Thanks." Screw them. I'm not ordering anything from them ever again.
The crappy bubble envelopes Best Buy has been using are another strike against them, considering you pay for shipping.

I received seasons 4,5,6 from DDD shipped together in the same cardboard box and had two floaters. No scratches on either, however, and I attribute them to bad luck, not DDD (I've had floaters from other stores like Amazon where they were protected like they were a carton of eggs, go figure). The disc cases themselves were unscathed, however.

for the sale while it lasted

for stopping it early and shipping materials
Old 07-01-05, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by sldvd

That's true, the girl that helped me said she needed to return them, refund my credit card, and have me purchase the new ones. I informed her that I bought them while they were on sale, so she had me purchase them at the $49.99 plus tax price. I don't know if I got lucky, or what. I certainly hope they don't try to pull some BS on other customers in a similar situation.
Old 07-01-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*whew* Makes me feel fortunate that I picked up the box sets when I did. Another full series completed.
Old 07-01-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(rhetorical question) Who really knows what Best Buy is doing?

During DDD's 20% off sale, the Herzog/Kinski Collection was just under $44, DDD's regular price is $53.99. The MSRP for this set is $89.99. Best Buy wants $99.99.

Last edited by Heat; 07-01-05 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 08:43 PM

My order of X-Files from Best Buy showed up as an empty envelope -- someone had cut it open and emptied the contents. When I called Best Buy I had to go through a gauntlet of automated crap to have the customer service person tell me that an "investigation would be done", but she would not send a new one out to me. This is unacceptable -- Amazon doesn't pull this, neither do Deep Discount. One more reason to avoid them.
Old 07-01-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Vermiknid
My order of X-Files from Best Buy showed up as an empty envelope -- someone had cut it open and emptied the contents. When I called Best Buy I had to go through a gauntlet of automated crap to have the customer service person tell me that an "investigation would be done", but she would not send a new one out to me. This is unacceptable -- Amazon doesn't pull this, neither do Deep Discount. One more reason to avoid them.
Assuming you didn't use a BestBuy credit card, immediately file a dispute with your credit card company for the charge. It will protect you for now. If they change their mind and offer to send you a replacement you can cancel the dispute.
Old 07-02-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it's not $49.99, but amazon.com has all the seasons at $59.99 ..
Old 07-02-05, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
it's not $49.99, but amazon.com has all the seasons at $59.99 ..
Very nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Factor in no tax and free shipping, and it's only a few dollars away from what I was paying through BestBuy.com.
Old 07-03-05, 12:23 PM

Just checked out Amazon and does anyone of you have the Amazon.com Platinum Visa Card? If so is it a bad thing to get? I want to start getting the X-files and that seems to be a nice way to do it with Reward points..is it even worth it?
Old 07-03-05, 10:24 PM

Was at Costco today..they're priced at 65.99 with an automatic $20 off..picked up a few!!
Old 07-04-05, 06:17 PM

Does anyone know if there is a Costco in Iowa? Preferably the Des Moines area... Thanks. ^_^
Old 07-04-05, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Xerogod
Does anyone know if there is a Costco in Iowa? Preferably the Des Moines area... Thanks. ^_^
You could go to costco.com and use the warehouse locator.
Old 07-04-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What sucks is that there had to be a SALE for us to get these at $49.99 anyway. The MSRP for these and most TV on DVD sets in general are OUTRAGEOUS. I remember when these first came out, they were like $125 a set....that's just crazy!

Best Buy should be ashamed of themselves for prematurely ending the sale without notice. Many of us were trying to space out our purchases to avoid being out so much money at once.
Old 07-04-05, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kbjorn
Was at Costco today..they're priced at 65.99 with an automatic $20 off..picked up a few!!
Does anyone know when this deal will end or is it a YMMV? I have one about 90 minutes from me and I'm awfully tempted to head there next Monday to pick up a few sets.
Old 07-04-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jpdude
Best Buy should be ashamed of themselves for prematurely ending the sale without notice. Many of us were trying to space out our purchases to avoid being out so much money at once.
Call up their customer service# and complain - 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289).
If you want to write to them: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2104&type=page

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.