DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New box sets reduced to $17.94 at DDD

Old 05-02-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

New box sets reduced to $17.94 at DDD

DDD has some great new prices for these box sets - just $17.94! Here's the titles I found. . .

Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 1
Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 2
Ultimate Godzilla Collection (5 discs)
Underdog (3 discs)

Old 05-02-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SON054258

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/search.cfm

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SON054290
Old 05-02-05, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by mrpeavey
DDD has some great new prices for these box sets - just $17.94! Here's the titles I found. . .

Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 1
Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 2
Man, I paid $19.14 each during the last 20% off sale. .

Good deals, OP.
Old 05-02-05, 10:40 AM

Along with first two Bullwinkle sets, Roger Ramjet looks like it is scheduled it for a price reduction down to $17.94

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=SON051357

Paul
Old 05-02-05, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by guessed
Man, I paid $19.14 each during the last 20% off sale. .

Good deals, OP.

Wow, that's $1.20 you'll never see again
Old 05-02-05, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BMAG
Wow, that's $1.20 you'll never see again

$2.40 -- I bought both sets.
Old 05-02-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks OP, I picked up Ultimate Godzilla Collection (5 discs).
It should bring back childhood memories.
Old 05-02-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by guessed
$2.40 -- I bought both sets.
$2.40 in time premium is worth it.
Old 05-02-05, 10:17 PM

Is the Ultimate Godzilla collection worth getting? Are the movies OAR? What is the quality of the video / audio? I did a quick search of the DVDTalk Review archives, and this set didn't seem to show up.

Thanks,
David
Old 05-02-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Not if you've yet to even open the plastic, let alone actually watch the discs.

K
Old 05-02-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047

K
that's usually the case with me but hey it's the person's fault for not opening it, myself included.
Old 05-03-05, 12:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by drindustrial
Is the Ultimate Godzilla collection worth getting? Are the movies OAR? What is the quality of the video / audio? I did a quick search of the DVDTalk Review archives, and this set didn't seem to show up.

Thanks,
David
I found this on the Amazon.com reviews:
Sadly, most people have never seen Godzilla movies in their original letterboxed format and subtitled, in glorious "Tohoscope" colour (where applicable).

Instead they get dross like this DVD boxed set which loses stars for:

(A) Really poor quality images (sratched and grainy)
(B) Being panned and scanned (as oposed to letterboxed)
(C) Risable dubbing and general poor quality audio
(D) Some of the films are edited "for content" (Terror of Mechagodzilla for exmaple).
(E) Lack of DVD extras

it gets that for the packaging (excellent), the fact that the Raymond Burr version of Godzilla is actually quite well done and the US vesion of Godzilla vs Mothra does include the Frontier Missile sequence not included in the Japanese version. Oh and actually having "Rodan" on DVD for the first time.

But how much better if some care had been put into the movies. Instead this smacks of a cheapie, rushed release, the attitude of "oh its just a Godzilla film, they're all crap anyway, the Japanese make them like this on purpose".

But this boxe set *only* if you really need to see some of the movies, no matter what the quality. If not, save your dosh for companies who have released Japanese films in a much more respectful way - support them and give shoddy garbage like this a miss.
Don't buy this boxset, the only ones worth getting are Godzilla, King of the Monsters and Rodan.. since they were filmed fullscreen. I highly recommend tracking down the out of print widescreen DVDs issued by Simitar.
The problem however, is when one opens the box and plays the individual DVDs themselves. The first hint that one notices there is something wrong is the absence of any booklets or additional information, the case containing only the DVD itself.

Then there is the information stored on the DVDs. Unlike the Simitar DVDs, there are no extras, no trailers, no trivia questions, save for a promo for the new Nintendo Game Cube; Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters game. As for the quality of the films, they are the same old pan and scan transfers as the old Paramount/Gateway home video releases of the late 1980s, and suffer from numerous scratch marks. The forced surround sound audio tracks have even more echo and tinny sound than the Simitar versions. Worst of all, Terror of MechaGodzilla is the same edited version fans have had to suffer through for years.

About the only saving grace is the inclusion of Rodan in the set; representing the first time this film has seen a DVD release. Conspicuous by its absence however is Monster Zero, which was originally included in the Simitar box set. Its absence is probably due more to the fact that Monster Zero's copyright in North America is held by Henry Saperstein's UPA Productions than Sony's decision to release Rodan (a box set containing all 5 Godzilla film plus Rodan could have been released).
Bunch of others here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...X0DER&x=8&y=16
Old 05-03-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's usually the case with me but hey it's the person's fault for not opening it, myself included.
True, but bitching is about the only satisfaction I have left in this crazy must-buy-DVDs-as-soon-as-they-come-out-in-order-to-get-the-best-price-and-have-the-pleasure-of-watching-them-whenever-I-want-eventhough-I-know-I-won't-even-open-them-for-another-year game.

Ah, bitching.

K
Old 05-03-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True, but bitching is about the only satisfaction I have left in this crazy must-buy-DVDs-as-soon-as-they-come-out-in-order-to-get-the-best-price-and-have-the-pleasure-of-watching-them-whenever-I-want-eventhough-I-know-I-won't-even-open-them-for-another-year game.

Ah, bitching.

K
Old 05-03-05, 01:32 AM

I am happy if I get $1 of time premium with my option trades.
Old 05-03-05, 08:58 AM

K

How did you know? I actually came very close to opening them (and watching some of them) the night before this was posted, but I ended up opening my Sports Night set instead. So far, I had already seen all the episodes I've watched, but I do not regret my decision to watch them again.
Old 05-03-05, 06:40 PM

K

I don't know about you, but I get a certain joy in knowing that I have a prized DVD on my shelf, knowing that I can watch it, even if I haven't watch it yet. That is worth $2.40 to me.
L