Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster's 2 for 20 Used Box Set Bargain

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Blockbuster's 2 for 20 Used Box Set Bargain

Some of the Blockbuster's in my area are honoring the 2 for 20 on the used box sets. I know some of the stores wont do it, but there are a few that will. I picked up a couple of box sets for 20 plus tax. They will usually have some used sets mixed in with the new ones in the glass case. You just have to keep your eyes peeled and see if you can find a bargain. I asked the lady at one if the 2 for 20 applies to boxes and she said it does.
Old 02-09-05, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What box sets did you manage to get?
Old 02-09-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple of Buffy sets. Seasons 2 and 4 that I put up for a possible trade. Theyre not in mint by any means, but they are very serviceable. And for 10 bucks each I'm ok if Im stuck with them.
Old 02-09-05, 09:57 PM
ams

I never realized that they kept them in the case with the new boxed sets...

I have seen some of the smaller ones on the shelf in a large plastic box, so I figured that is where they all went. Damn. I will have to pay more attention.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-09-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How much credit will they give you for "trading" in a boxset?
During the last $8 dealio (only at the Waltham, MA store) they would only give $8 credit for a box. I only tried a couple, I even ended up breaking up one box and trading in the individual cases instead because it was $8 for the box upc and $8 for the upc on each individual title. (They actually wouldn't even take the now empty box for free, so I have an empty original kubrick box sitting around). But they would not give more than $8 for sets where the individual discs didn't have their own UPCs - like Buffy, etc.
Old 02-09-05, 10:07 PM
ams

In my area, it was an $8 minimum for trade. They would give alot more for valuable discs/games/boxes.
Old 02-09-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
thanks, i'll check it out.
Old 02-10-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2-for-$20 on boxsets?

Hmm.

Interesting.

I was just in Blockbuster earlier today, and I saw Alias Season 3 and Dawson's Creek Season 1. There were a couple of other ones of note, but I can't recall what they are now.

Anyway, this makes me rethink whether I should try and nab those. This has got to be a big YMMV/depending on manager type of deal, right?
Old 02-10-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up both seasons of the Dead Zone a couple weeks ago on this, and I got Project Greenlight Season One along with a regular disc back in November.
Old 02-10-05, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cleaned up on box sets starting early in the trade-in deal, and got a few more just over a week ago.

Sopranos 1-3
Oz 2
Sex and the City 1
Friends 1-3
Cheers 1
Buffy 1,4
Andromeda 1
King of the Hill 1
24 1

Also, Hellboy DC which was priced used at $19.99.

A few other nice finds among the traded in DVDs:
Blues Brothers (2 copies) which I just sold to DVDs123.com for $55 each (price has now dropped)
Fear & Loathing in LV CC
Carnival of Souls CC (traded for Master + Commander Deluxe)

The best thing is - most of these purchases were paid for by credit I got by trading in $3-4 pawn shop DVDs for $8 minimum.

YMMV - some employees are reluctant to do it but once I show them that they ring up properly, they let it slide - but don't try it when the main store manager is present, they will almost always veto it.

Last edited by NCYankee; 02-10-05 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 06:36 AM

I'm surprised that I've missed this, but I don't recall seeing a glass case in the Blockbuster that I generally go to. Is it typically behind the counter?
Old 02-10-05, 08:22 AM

Thanks, I never new they kept used box sets in the case!
Old 02-10-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The best you can do is look for the sets and try to get the deal. If it rings up at a higher price then just walk away. They cant force the wallet from your pocket.
Old 02-10-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The best you can do is look for the sets and try to get the deal. If it rings up at a higher price then just walk away. They cant force the wallet from your pocket.
The used box sets are going to ring up at the marked price, typically marked as much as a new one would cost at Walmart. The trick is to find the right salesperson to apply the 2 for $20 deal and scan the coupon barcode attached to the register. I was successful a few times but lately I've had no luck.
Old 02-10-05, 06:04 PM

I checked out one BBV today near me. The sign for the 2 for $20 had some fine print at the bottom which said valid only on items priced $19.99 or below.

The store didn't have any box sets anyhow.
Old 02-10-05, 06:15 PM

Have the signs changed, the signs use to say bot good on previewed sets, but since the sets are trade ins, not previewed that didn't apply.
Old 02-10-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised the employees of the BBVs around me even care, but I guess they do. As every used set has a little tape sticker on it with words saying: NOT INCLUDED IN 2/$20 DEAL.
Old 02-10-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NCYankee
I cleaned up on box sets starting early in the trade-in deal, and got a few more just over a week ago.

Sopranos 1-3
Oz 2
Sex and the City 1
Friends 1-3
Cheers 1
Buffy 1,4
Andromeda 1
King of the Hill 1
24 1

Also, Hellboy DC which was priced used at $19.99.

A few other nice finds among the traded in DVDs:
Blues Brothers (2 copies) which I just sold to DVDs123.com for $55 each (price has now dropped)
Fear & Loathing in LV CC
Carnival of Souls CC (traded for Master + Commander Deluxe)

The best thing is - most of these purchases were paid for by credit I got by trading in $3-4 pawn shop DVDs for $8 minimum.

YMMV - some employees are reluctant to do it but once I show them that they ring up properly, they let it slide - but don't try it when the main store manager is present, they will almost always veto it.

QUIT BRAGGING! I don't want to hear it anymore.
Old 02-10-05, 07:00 PM
Banned

The BB I traded all my dvds at has the used box sets sitting on the counter behind the register counter, which doesn't really do a good job of "selling" it. In fact, my Rocky box set is still sitting there after all these months. Of course, they want more for it than you can get the new Rocky box set for at retails tores.
Old 02-10-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grune
Have the signs changed, the signs use to say bot good on previewed sets, but since the sets are trade ins, not previewed that didn't apply.
It still said that last time I checked. It is up to the person behind the counter whether or not you can get it. It is random whether people get it or not.

I have never been able to find boxsets and any of my stores, let alone anything I would want.
Old 02-10-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grune
Actually, the fine print on the 2 for $20 signs used to say "previously RENTED product", but I didn't see that last time I looked. Other signs I saw say "as low as $7.99", then have fine print saying that it doesn't apply to previously VIEWED product $19.99 or higher" (as opposed to previously rented).
Old 02-11-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I stopped by a different Blockbuster today (than the one that I posted about earlier in this thread). This one was by my work.

I traded in a couple of dvds to pad the credit I still have on my value card. (It's incredibly low now. I'm spoiled in the sense that I've had it hovering around $100 for a while.)

Anyway, I saw Oz Season 1 there. It was tagged as $34.99. I immediately thought of the post NCYankee wrote, and thought I'd make an attempt at the 2-for-$20 deal with it.

I looked around for another dvd, and finally settled on an interesting flick called Vampire Hunters (it's by Tsui Hark...which sounds to me like some important Japanese director). It's kind of like a Shaolin Monks encounter Zombies intent on taking over the world -type of flick.

While I walked up the empty line and straight to the registers, I asked the slighly-plump and attractive female behind the counter if I could "get these for the 2-for-$20." Without hesitating, she said "sure." The Oz box set was on the bottom, and when she had spread the dvds apart she saw the price ($34.99) and commented that she didn't know if this would work on the the boxset.

I replied that maybe it would work. "Could you try and see if it'll go through?" I asked.
She said, "sure." So she scans the dvds, and then goes to this clear-sheet binder-hastened bar code list, that was attached to the computer. She scans the particular 2-for-$20 barcode, and said "Wow." It ended up working.

She was very nice.

I was very happy.

Last edited by SlingshotBandit; 02-11-05 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-11-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
I'm surprised the employees of the BBVs around me even care, but I guess they do. As every used set has a little tape sticker on it with words saying: NOT INCLUDED IN 2/$20 DEAL.
As much as I would be bummed seeing this on their used boxsets (especially after reading other people getting good deals on them), I think it's smart that they do it.

That way they wouldn't have to deal with bitchy customers looking to get crazy deals. When I say "bitchy", I don't mean everyone that tries to get the deal to work by bringing up t he boxsets and asking, but those that INSIST that they get the 2-for-$20 on it.
Old 02-11-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's right - they can't blame you for asking, can they? All I say is "I have read on the internet that people all over the country are getting these, just out of curiosity see if it rings up." - has worked almost every time.
Old 02-11-05, 02:21 PM
Cool New Member

I have grabbed multiple expensive PO stuff from blockbuster as part of this deal

Sex and the City Season 2
Great Expectations CC
Traffic CC

a few others I can't remember.
My blockbusters are pretty good about letting you do that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.