Costco 1/11/05 Leon $13 5th Element $13 Village $18.29 W/O Paddle $18 +coupons

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Costco 1/11/05 Leon $13 5th Element $13 Village $18.29 W/O Paddle $18 +coupons

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks to the OP! Went over to my Costco (in Dallas, TX) at lunch today and picked up Fifth Element UE for $12.99 plus tax.
Old 01-12-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks, Picked up Mary Poppins and Hero.
Old 01-12-05, 01:24 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diverdave
At our Costco in Huntsville AL, the sign for the Simpsons read $31.29, but the sticker on the box read $30.29. A great deal either way with $8 off, but it did indeed ring up at $30.29.

Sweeeeeeeeet!

DD
I think I saw that price tag on the Simpsons s5 sets at my Costco too. Thanks, I updated the original post.
Old 01-12-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great find...returned my Fifth Element and Leon to BB, and picked them up at CostCo. Saved me $7!!!
Old 01-12-05, 07:18 PM

Picked up Fifth Element, thanks.

I don't understand why Costco never has signage regarding special $ off deals. There was only one small sign that had those $5 off titles and nothing else. Good thing I 'shop' here first!
Old 01-12-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For those who have received a price adjustment on the Disney tins, is it enough just to bring in the original receipt?
Old 01-12-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rkndkn
For those who have received a price adjustment on the Disney tins, is it enough just to bring in the original receipt?
I have received price adjustments on non-DVD items in the past and the receipt is all that I needed to obtain the PA as long as it was dated within the last 30 days. I would imagine that the same would hold true with DVDs. Costco is very lenient about returns and adjustments.
Old 01-13-05, 12:42 AM

The manager shut me down when I tried to get the $5 back on 2 Disney Treasures and Mary Poppins. He gave me a whole speech about it being a vendor coupon and how Costco loses money. I had to explain to him that I have done this before with no problem. Still no deal, so I told him I would just do it the hard way and walked to the DVD section grabbed the 3 things, purchased them and took them right to the return counter with the old receipt. All under his watchful eye, and I did it with a smile. I just wish I didn't have to hear his 5 minute speech since the second process was easier and took less time.
Old 01-13-05, 12:48 AM

I brought my receipts in for a price adjustment on the Disney Treasures, but when the lady looked them up, her computer only said $20.49, with no mention of the $5 discount. So she made me go get the sign from the DVD section that says "discount taken at register", as opposed to being a mail-in offer or something more elaborate. When she saw the sign, she said there was still nothing she could do, unless I bought them again, then immediately returned them for a cash refund on the old receipts. So that's what I did (after she made me put the sign back). She told me that they really don't like the Customer Service reps doing that, but just this once, she'll let it go. It was more of a pain than it should've been, but I eventually got the new low price, albiet in a roundabout kinda way.

JiM T
Old 01-13-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since I bought my 2 Wave 4 Disney tins on 12/7/04 and Best Buy, this Costco deal came just a few days too late for me to return my Best Buy ones and get them at Costco. I used the Madden 20% off coupon and thought I was doing well at $19.99 each, but I was only able to think I did well for 5 weeks, and now I'm down $4.50 x 2. Obviously I would've waited if I could've known since I haven't had time to watch them.

The part that bothers me is if Costco is going to do nice deals like this, why do they feel the need to wait 5 weeks after they are released instead of having them for that price on release day to save me all the trouble? For instance, Costco had a good $12.99 price on The Fifth Element UE on release day instead of pricing it at $16.99 and having the $4 coupon show up 5 weeks later. Of course I know the reason is stores are hoping people buy early and wait too long to pricematch or exchange them or that they don't hear about the better prices. The dust barely settles on my receipts before I'm in the hole, and unfortunately due to past availability scares I never know what will happen with Disney tins. Maybe in 5 weeks the Fifth Element UE will be $9.99 or $8.99 at Costco so I can feel bad again. That would be a consistent pattern, but I guess if they take returns for longer than 30 days I could do the re-buy and return approach others wisely used.

So I guess not having the 20% off Best Buy Madden coupons may not be so bad because the majority of DVDs I bought with it end up discounted about the same somewhere else within a couple months. When I thought I did well on the Matrix Ultimate Edition with a 20% off coupon it didn't take Fry's long to advertise it for almost the same price. So each coupon ended up being worth a couple bucks net savings most times.
Old 01-13-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Manzana
Since I bought my 2 Wave 4 Disney tins on 12/7/04 and Best Buy, this Costco deal came just a few days too late for me to return my Best Buy ones and get them at Costco. I used the Madden 20% off coupon and thought I was doing well at $19.99 each, but I was only able to think I did well for 5 weeks, and now I'm down $4.50 x 2. Obviously I would've waited if I could've known since I haven't had time to watch them.

The part that bothers me is if Costco is going to do nice deals like this, why do they feel the need to wait 5 weeks after they are released instead of having them for that price on release day to save me all the trouble? For instance, Costco had a good $12.99 price on The Fifth Element UE on release day instead of pricing it at $16.99 and having the $4 coupon show up 5 weeks later. Of course I know the reason is stores are hoping people buy early and wait too long to pricematch or exchange them or that they don't hear about the better prices. The dust barely settles on my receipts before I'm in the hole, and unfortunately due to past availability scares I never know what will happen with Disney tins. Maybe in 5 weeks the Fifth Element UE will be $9.99 or $8.99 at Costco so I can feel bad again. That would be a consistent pattern, but I guess if they take returns for longer than 30 days I could do the re-buy and return approach others wisely used.

So I guess not having the 20% off Best Buy Madden coupons may not be so bad because the majority of DVDs I bought with it end up discounted about the same somewhere else within a couple months. When I thought I did well on the Matrix Ultimate Edition with a 20% off coupon it didn't take Fry's long to advertise it for almost the same price. So each coupon ended up being worth a couple bucks net savings most times.
The pessimistic manzana strikes again.

However, you're in luck. Your dates for Best Buy fall in the extended holiday return policy so you should be able to still return your Treasures at Best Buy.

I, on the other hand, bought them at Amazon for about $20.49 each. Unfortunately, they don't have an extended holiday return policy so I'm SOL but I'm not complaining. It's only $15. Plus, even if you didn't utilize the time premium, you still got it by having the movies over 5 weeks ahead of this sale.
Old 01-13-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought Fifth Element and Mary Poppins. $28.40 + tax.
Old 01-13-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
The part that bothers me is if Costco is going to do nice deals like this, why do they feel the need to wait 5 weeks after they are released instead of having them for that price on release day to save me all the trouble?
1) Because Costco is trying to get you to shop there instead of at Best Buy even if their prices are a little higher on the day of release.

2) They probably just cut a deal with Disney and Columbia-Tristar that made these rebates possible. Maybe Disney didn't want anyone selling the wave 4 Tins at this low a price during release week, but five weeks later they are agreeable to a temporary price cut in order to move more product.

3) If you get a couple dollars off these now, great. If you don't, no big deal, because you got the best deal you could when they came out. It's a bonus, so don't fret.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 01-13-05 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-14-05, 08:03 AM

Dabaomb, I typically only get cynical when prices drop soon after I buy something -- which unfortunately happens too often. Now I'm a bit bummed that I could've easily picked up the other 2 tins while at Costco getting Mary Poppins and returning it to Best Buy, but I had called Best Buy and talked to returns beforehand telling the person the date I bought it and I was told "too bad" about the returns because it was over 30 days. There was no mention of the extended return policy. Not surprisingly, Best Buy reps give me bad info and mess me up.

Does someone know how long is the extended return policy at Best Buy good for? Otherwise I'll have to call and getting through at Best is usually difficult. In addition, there was only 1 Complete Pluto at my Costco when I was there. I seriously doubt there will be any Plutos now unless they get restocked regularly. It would be worth the trouble to save $10, but only $5 is questionable. Plus I can't make it in today because my boss chose to schedule a 5 minute meeting before Costco opens, and I don't get off until right before Costco closes (I have under 30 minutes to drive home and make it to Costco). My boss could've scheduled the meeting any time during the day, but he often chooses to schedule meetings early so that I have to deal with more traffic and can't do errands. Well, there I go complaining again.

I assume the tins are sealed inside of Costco's outer packaging so I can buy them at Costco and then return those same ones to Best Buy? I opened my 2 tins immediately (to check for damage) even though I didn't watch them. If my memory serves, on previous waves it took Costco far longer than 5 weeks to drop prices on the tins (more like several months to a year).
Old 01-14-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Manzana: The Best Buy extended return policy is until 1/24/05 I think or it might be 1/26/05.

Also, the world is not out to get you. Remember that. You need to cheer up or you'll never be happy no matter what you do.
Old 01-14-05, 06:11 PM

Hey does anyone know if my membership expired last month (dec 23rd) if they'll give me trouble about buying without renewing? I don't shop there enough to justify the $45. I only joined last year when they had all those Fox TV sets for $20 and $25. Haven't been there in months. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-05, 12:17 PM

Here's my story after trying Best Buy's extended return policy. On the day I went to Costco and saw ONE Complete Pluto there, I passed on it because I had already bought it at Best Buy and it was past 30 days, so I only got the MM Club and Mary Poppins. When I was returning Mary Poppins at Best Buy (within the 30 day time window), I asked the Best Buy rep if I could return my other 2 Disney tins which were a few days past 30, and he said I was out of luck. When Dabaomb mentioned an extended return policy I called up the store and I was told any unopened returns were allowed up to January 25th. So I thought I'll try it. Before going to Costco, I called the 3 local stores and all 3 had been cleaned out of the Complete Pluto, so I just got MM in B&W V2 as I had to go by Costco anyway. In hindsight, it was not worth the effort for a few bucks, but I did find out a few things about Best Buy.

Here's where it gets funny. When I went to return the unopened MM in B&W V2 to Best Buy with my receipt showing December 7th, the rep said it was past 30 days so too bad on the return. I said I had just called to verify the return policy was extended until the 25th. He said that was only for GIFTS, but since I had a receipt and it was bought on MY credit card I obviously bought it for myself and it was not a gift, so he couldn't do it. I then told him how another rep had said it was OK, so he said we could pretend I don't have the receipt and treat it as a receiptless return (where I had to give my driver's license), so I got a store credit.

So, not surprisingly, Best Buy's extended return policy has gaping loopholes depending on how the current rep chooses to interpret it. On the way out I asked another Best Buy rep to tell me about the extended return policy and I got a different story... they sure train these guys well! Afterwards I thought maybe it wasn't good to waste a receiptless return on only 1 item since I think they limit how many times you can do it per year, but thinking to previous years they typically allowed 2 or 3 (I never did more than 2 per year) and only around Christmas time, so I doubt there'd be any reason to save a receiptless return privilege considering I won't be allowed to do it again until next Christmas. It's interesting how on previous years I had been given trouble returning items because they said there were dollar amount or item limits, but this time I got no trouble even though I tried to return over a dozen DVDs right after Christmas. I guess they didn't mind because they rejected all but 4 as eligible for returns. They said even though the items showed up in their inventory, they had been deleted from the store. This included some Warner/Clint Eastwood, MGM and Disney DVDs I know they used to carry just a year ago.

Even if Costco extended the deal and they got more Complete Plutos in, I wouldn't go through all this hassle again for $5 or even $10. If I hadn't been returning a DVD player on its 30th day and had to go to Best Buy anyway, I wouldn't have even tried. Well, it was a good suggestion, but it didn't work very well.
Old 01-16-05, 12:57 PM

Has this expired yet?

I would like to know if this deal is still available. If someone goes to Costco to try it please let us know if you still get the $3 instant rebate.
Old 01-16-05, 02:34 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by J-Flow
Hey does anyone know if my membership expired last month (dec 23rd) if they'll give me trouble about buying without renewing? I don't shop there enough to justify the $45. I only joined last year when they had all those Fox TV sets for $20 and $25. Haven't been there in months. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
You will automatcally be charge for the renewal when you check out using an expired card There are signs at the checkout explaining this.
Old 01-16-05, 06:11 PM

No signs out at my local Costco, but Simpsons S5 and Mary Poppins rang up as listed in this thread. Thanks!
Old 01-17-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone goes to Costco today, can you check if any of the $4 and $5 off deals are still valid? I didn't manage to make it to Costco over the weekend and still want to pick up Hero and Napoleon Dynamite.
Old 01-17-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lampei
If anyone goes to Costco today, can you check if any of the $4 and $5 off deals are still valid? I didn't manage to make it to Costco over the weekend and still want to pick up Hero and Napoleon Dynamite.
I went last night and the coupons all specifically said through 1/16/05.

There weren't any signs for The Fifth Element & Leon so I don't know how long those discounts are good for. Same for Spider-Man 2.
Old 01-17-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leon and Fifth Element deals are dead. My Costco didn't have Leon in stock over the weekend, so I went back tonight... no dice. Rang up at $16.99.
Old 01-17-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

They had a sign saying "buy Seinfeld Seasons 1& 2 and 3 and get $5 off". I decided that wasn't that great, but if I knew it was $5 each I would have done it. Oh well-they'll get cheaper.
Old 01-18-05, 05:02 AM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by Evolution
Leon and Fifth Element deals are dead. My Costco didn't have Leon in stock over the weekend, so I went back tonight... no dice. Rang up at $16.99.
FYI, Spider-Man 2 deal is dead too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.