Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Netflix vs Blockbuster Battle Has Begun

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Netflix vs Blockbuster Battle Has Begun

You have to love competition. First Netflix and now Blockbuster.

As of Oct. 25, 2004, you'll pay only $17.49 a month, plus applicable tax, to enjoy up to three DVDs out at a time. Keep five movies out at a time for only $27.49 a month or eight out at a time for $37.49 a month. As always, there are no return dates, no extended viewing fees and shipping is free both ways.

E-coupons for FREE in-store game rentals!

Your two monthly e-coupons redeemable for FREE in-store movie rentals at participating BLOCKBUSTER® stores are now good for in-store game rentals as well.
Old 10-19-04, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if they will apply some type of discount for people on the Friends and Family deal???
Old 10-19-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know....I may just continue with BlockBuster now. I love competition.

I'm currently in for $15.99 for 6-months, so only $1.50 more after that...woohoo!

Also, the in-store game rentals are GREAT. Since it was almost pointless for me to use the coupons before.
Old 10-19-04, 08:37 PM

I just signed up for Blockbuster's $15.99/6mo. plan. I was equally satisifed with Netflix and Blockbuster's free trials, but I tried to sign up for Netflix and could only select the $14.99 plan for 2 out at a time, max 6 a month
Old 10-19-04, 10:35 PM

I also have the blockbuster $15.99/6 months. I think I am on my second month. What happens if I decide to cancel before the 6 months are over? The quality of their service has decline in the past 2 or 3 weeks. I use to have a 3 day turnaround now its 5-6 day turnaround. And there are alot of titles that have been on long/short wait since I joined.
Old 10-20-04, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by moonmadness
I just signed up for Blockbuster's $15.99/6mo. plan. I was equally satisifed with Netflix and Blockbuster's free trials, but I tried to sign up for Netflix and could only select the $14.99 plan for 2 out at a time, max 6 a month
Max of 6 a month? Is this some new thing netflix is doing or is it only the 2 out at a time plan that has a limit like that?
Old 10-20-04, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by xmiyux
Max of 6 a month? Is this some new thing netflix is doing or is it only the 2 out at a time plan that has a limit like that?
It's only with the 2 at once plan. But it was the only plan I could choose for some reason.
Old 10-20-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just did the Blockbuster trial thing. It was pretty weak. My local Blockbuster also charges for membership now (didn't seem to be a "pay as you rent" option) so I'd in essence need two memberships to use my free rental coupons - WTF? Their site is VERY clunky and not user-friendly - not to mention that their catalogue was severely lacking compared to the wide variety of titles Netflix carried.

Still I suppose if you're normally satisfied with the "box office hit" only title selection at Blockbuster stores, you'd be happy with this service.

I cancelled it.
Old 10-20-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone from DFW area tried BBV online rental?

I was curious about the turnaround time for getting movies.
Old 10-20-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
NF changed their 2-out plan to have a cap, about 1.5 years ago. I'm grandfathered in to the 'unlimited rentals', which I hope doesn't change.
Does BB.com's web selection differ from their store selection?
Any details on the free game rentals? Free store DVD rentals is about pointless, but the game rentals would be nice.
Old 10-20-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dtcarson
NF changed their 2-out plan to have a cap, about 1.5 years ago. I'm grandfathered in to the 'unlimited rentals', which I hope doesn't change.
Does BB.com's web selection differ from their store selection?
Any details on the free game rentals? Free store DVD rentals is about pointless, but the game rentals would be nice.
BB.com's selection does differ from the store selection, at least what my local blockbuster has. I joined to be able to get TV shows. I have only been on BB.com for about a month and a half, but with the TV shows I have been interested in so far, they have had everything that I was looking for.

The other thing that they seem to have over the store is a better selection of re-releases. For example, my local store does not even have the good, the bad, the ugly available on DVD at all, but on BB.com you can get the new two disc version. Same goes for something like shawshank redemption and goodfellas. Store only lets you rent the old version, while the online actually seems to let you do either one.
Old 10-20-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is Wal-mart still competing in online rentals, I thought they launched an online rental site a while back. Then again maybe I am just making stuff up.
Old 10-20-04, 11:20 AM

Walmart's rental plans:

2-out: $15.54
3-out: $18.76
4-out: $21.94

All are unlimited.

I'm rather fond of the 4-out plan (3 seems too few, 5 too many) but shipping is slower than NF (or about the same as BB). Their selection is rather pitiful in spots. There are a few perks (some 2-disc sets counted as one rental, the sometimes-working system that mails the next disc out after you've mailed one but before Walmart actually receives it), but the new price scheme is definitely going to entice me back to Netflix.
Old 10-20-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Here is an interesting article which basically states that at the currently pricing plan, Netflix is running a risk of putting itself out of business:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dia_netflix_dc
Old 10-20-04, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by msdmoney
Is Wal-mart still competing in online rentals, I thought they launched an online rental site a while back. Then again maybe I am just making stuff up.

Yes, they do, and most people still prefer Netflix, which is fine with me. I have been with Walmart for like a year now I think....or at least close to that....and it never takes me more than a month after release date to get a new release title. I of course fill up my queue with older stuff too, for when I run out of new titles.

Don't know if Netflix still slows down new release availability for "long term" customers, but I remember that's what drove me away from them.
Old 11-20-04, 07:33 PM

I'm about to cancel my trial membership at Blockbuster.com, and they offerred me the $15.99/6 month deal. I'm not sure that I understand this though. Do I pay $15.99 a month, for six months, or is it 6 months of rentals for $15.99 total?
Old 11-20-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ghostface180
I'm about to cancel my trial membership at Blockbuster.com, and they offerred me the $15.99/6 month deal. I'm not sure that I understand this though. Do I pay $15.99 a month, for six months, or is it 6 months of rentals for $15.99 total?
I think it's $6 for 1,599 rentals.
Old 11-20-04, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by RockStrongo
Anyone from DFW area tried BBV online rental?

I was curious about the turnaround time for getting movies.
Warehouse is in Dallas, from the 75265 area according to label. I usually get 1 day turn around, unless its some weird title thats coming from another store room.

Netflix had a warehouse in Coppell, usually got a 1 day on major titles too.
Old 11-20-04, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by SunMonkey
Here is an interesting article which basically states that at the currently pricing plan, Netflix is running a risk of putting itself out of business:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dia_netflix_dc
I suspect what you'll see is Netflix eventually being bought up by Walmart, BB, or a 3rd party w/ some money looking to break into the field.
Old 11-20-04, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by nemein
I suspect what you'll see is Netflix eventually being bought up by Walmart, BB, or a 3rd party w/ some money looking to break into the field.
Amazon.com will eventually buy Netflix.
Old 11-21-04, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by hurricane
Amazon.com will eventually buy Netflix.
Not the first time I have heard of this.

Also I went to cancel my Blockbuster account and they gave me a free month to stay with them and give them a chance on their new system. Which still stinks. But oh well free month for me.
Old 11-21-04, 02:01 AM

Yeah got the free month too, along with that free dvd, pretty good deal
Old 11-21-04, 03:18 AM

I've got free trials going on with both at the same time now. Blockbuster takes 3 - 4 days for me to get the discs after they are mailed and half my queue says short or long wait. With Net Flix it is delivered in one day to me and hardly anything I've picked has any wait. Blockbuster ships from 200 miles away from me where Net Flix ships from 75 miles away. Net Flix will be my choice as long as the prices are in the same ball park.
Old 11-21-04, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone actually seen a difference since the BBV change?

I know that it stated they would ship the next title once the post office scanned in the envelope, but (so far) it has been just as long waiting between shipments (about 3-5 days).
Old 11-21-04, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by achau9598
Has anyone actually seen a difference since the BBV change?

I know that it stated they would ship the next title once the post office scanned in the envelope, but (so far) it has been just as long waiting between shipments (about 3-5 days).
Nope. And they apparently still cannot get enough copies of titles. Almost half of my que says short wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.