DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Trade in 3 dvds for Upcoming Releases at Gamestop B&M (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/391386-trade-3-dvds-upcoming-releases-gamestop-b-m.html)

NoirTech 12-01-04 09:48 AM

You are right!
So this was even a better then then I first thought. Now enjoying my new Spidey DVD and the free space in my collection. :D
I think I'll have to trade in some additional DVDs very soon.

I too thank the original poster of this deal. Since I don't go to GameStop much, I would have totally missed out.

JackBurton 12-01-04 01:28 PM

Updated

I've updated the original post to include only the titles currently being reported as available. If a mod could change the thread name to read "Trade in 3 dvds for Upcoming Releases at Gamestop B&M" that would be cool since Spiderman 2 and Shrek 2 are out now and no longer available as pre-sales.

chard31 12-01-04 03:26 PM

I'm confused about one thing...

GS will buy back your old DVDs for whatever price is in their puter BUT if it's not listed, they give you a $1 for the DVD...

Are they using the $1 unlisted DVDs toward this trade?

Artman 12-01-04 03:44 PM

Traded in for TROY, transaction went smoothly.

Easy 12-01-04 05:27 PM

I tried to trade for Bourne Supremacy at two local stores but they both claimed it was not available. Big YMMV on that one. OTOH, most of the employees seemed to be in a daze so I assume they were either abnormally stupid or smoking something in the back.

Vellsbells 12-01-04 05:53 PM

I picked up my Spiderman 2 copy yesterday and plan on trading for Bourne Supremacy. The Gamestop employees are pretty hit or miss. When I did the trade for Sp2, I called and spoke to one guy who was knowledgeable, but when I went to the store the guys there were clueless and unaware of the promotion. Thankfully, I remembered the name of the guy I spoke with and the employee was able to call him to ask how it was done.

Manzana 12-01-04 11:02 PM

I decided to switch my Gamestop Spiderman 2 preorder to another one which the guy said he could do. He said Mary Poppins and several other titles were listed as available, but when he tried to switch it he said most of the titles listed in the computer weren't allowed as "reserves" (their name for preorders). Apparently (at least at my location) only Dodgeball, Anchorman, Troy, and I think 1 other was actually available for the 3-for-1 promotion.

I'm getting the impression that this promotion is not uniform across the country and that titles come and go weekly.

Easy 12-01-04 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Manzana
Apparently (at least at my location) only Dodgeball, Anchorman, Troy, and I think 1 other was actually available for the 3-for-1 promotion.

I'm getting the impression that this promotion is not uniform across the country and that titles come and go weekly.

The fourth title was I, Robot and I got exactly the same story form the one lucid employee I found. I have the same impression... this promo is very hit or miss. The word that springs to my mind is "unprofessional".

Engel07 12-02-04 04:54 PM

Do they take scratch disc? :)...i mean major scratch disc :)

I called one place..and he gave me a bunch of list..including I Robot...but they won't do it for ROTK EE.

I called another place..and they were doing the promotion only on Spiderman 2.

Vellsbells 12-02-04 05:26 PM

Do they take scratch disc? ...i mean major scratch disc
YMMV, but the GM employee really inspected mine for scratches. But he also commented that they were in practically new shape, so that leads me to believe he's seen scratchy tradeins.

smeehrrr 12-02-04 05:35 PM

Traded three that Blockbuster wouldn't take for Dodgeball, but apparently Gamestop won't take my Troma films either.

Anyone have suggestions on a good place to unload about a dozen Troma titles?

Sway 12-02-04 06:25 PM

Originally posted by smeehrrr
Traded three that Blockbuster wouldn't take for Dodgeball, but apparently Gamestop won't take my Troma films either.

Anyone have suggestions on a good place to unload about a dozen Troma titles?

What a coincidence, tried trading in a Troma title as well but it was a no go. What was interesting was that they took a dvd I bought at a 99 cent only store. The dvd was called Gravity Angels, it's like a cgi multipath movie.

marioxb 12-03-04 10:22 AM

EB Games has Spider-Man 2 you can get for any 3 movies. Still..

billrubin 12-03-04 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Easy
The fourth title was I, Robot and I got exactly the same story form the one lucid employee I found. I have the same impression... this promo is very hit or miss. The word that springs to my mind is "unprofessional".
That matches what my store had signs for the other day, but the manager said he had not gotten the new batch of signs yet (yet one of those movies is a January release). I'd like to get Mary Poppins but he did not have the sign. I may check another GS and see if they are offering it. My wife works at a thrift store and they sell used DVDs for $3.99 and she gets a 25% discount. She put aside a copy of The Hours for now, she didn't think the rest of them that they had qualified (but I will go to the store this weekend and check the stock).

Engel07 12-03-04 03:12 PM

Thanks...I just came to trade in 3 dvds
5 Demon (kung fu) - couldn't sell it for 1 dollars on ebay
Matrix - couldn't sell it for 3 dollars on ebay - i ordered the complete Matrix set already..no use for this one.
Meet The Parents - the special edition is coming out - probably can get $4-5 on ebay.

All of the above for Troy (2 Disc set) - not bad... Thanks OP

Sway 12-06-04 08:09 PM

Went in to change my preorder from Dodgeball to Anchorman but I asked if there are any new preorders I could choose from. The clerk told me that Shaun of the Dead was availabe, but when she went to change it, she couldn't. Shaun is on the sale list but not on the preorder list, but she still let me preorder it. Good stuff.

PlumPeach 12-06-04 08:45 PM

Thanks! I traded 12 DVDs for Dodgeball, IRobot, Anchorman, and Troy. The four I got were the only ones available at the Gamestops in my area. I really wanted Top Gun SE and Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary, but it's still a great deal!

kayak99 12-06-04 09:16 PM

Here's my plan, at least until I come up with a better one.

Select dvd's I never plan to watch again or those that dribbled in with bulk ebay purchases.

1st I am going to get the values at one of those online places. The higher valued ones will be sold to them.

Next stop is FYE. The highest ones remaining will be traded in there for credit (unless they want to give up cash!.

Next stop is Gamestop. They get the lower valued ones on three for one deals.

Abob Teff 12-07-04 10:33 AM

Well, stopped in a Gamestop the other day . . . they are freakin' clueless in there. I asked about the trade in three movies and if they were offering ROTK:EE . . . the guy didn't know anything about ANY of the trade in three movie deals. I pointed to the signs and he said it must just be those ones. That's fine.

Then I asked about trading in four games for Knights of the Old Republic 2 (another sign that they had hanging up) . . . once again a blank stare. This one garnered gathering the manager who said that he thought it might just be certain games (the sign does not mention this). After phone calls to three other stores the manager gave me a list of games that had been released in the last month. Sorry Charlie! Guess my business is going elsewhere.

Centurion 12-07-04 07:17 PM

Who does the set-up of these promotions?

I'll walk in to Gamestop, see signs/banners/flyers of different promotions yet the employees are not aware of them...WTF?!!

There's probably a marketing team that goes to every GS and just throws these things anywhere they deem appropriate and walk right out the door without telling the staff who actually work there.

It's kind of embarassing really.

baloux 12-09-04 12:44 PM

I called the Gamestop branch here at Sterling, VA and I was told that I can go there tonight to trade-in my 3 DVDs for this title. But I would need to add $9.99 because the 3 DVDs I'm going to trade-in will be treated as $20 and the price of their ROTK: EE is $29.99. I might need to add some more for tax though (hope not) :(.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I guess it depends on how bad you really want to get rid of your old DVDs....

Dabaomb 12-09-04 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by baloux
I called the Gamestop branch here at Sterling, VA and I was told that I can go there tonight to trade-in my 3 DVDs for this title. But I would need to add $9.99 because the 3 DVDs I'm going to trade-in will be treated as $20 and the price of their ROTK: EE is $29.99. I might need to add some more for tax though (hope not) :(.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I guess it depends on how bad you really want to get rid of your old DVDs....

Personally, I don't think that it's worth it. I'd just get it at Best Buy for $22.99 or at Amazon with STL for $21.39.

The trade 3 DVD deal is best for getting a movie for free (Dodgeball, I-Robot, Anchorman, Troy)

Mr.Briggs 12-09-04 07:03 PM

My Gamestop only has 3 available for tradein (Troy, I Robot & Anchorman) & I went in yesterday morning & traded 3 for Anchorman. Now I read that Best Buy will have a nice bonus disc with Anchorman. Hopefully they'll come up with something else to switch Anchorman for that I want as I really want to get the Anchorman bonus disc.

kenbenobi 12-09-04 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Centurion
Who does the set-up of these promotions?

I'll walk in to Gamestop, see signs/banners/flyers of different promotions yet the employees are not aware of them...WTF?!!

There's probably a marketing team that goes to every GS and just throws these things anywhere they deem appropriate and walk right out the door without telling the staff who actually work there.

It's kind of embarassing really.

Yep, that's the exact same story at the GS I went to...

Dexter Douglas 12-09-04 07:59 PM

I just called my local Gamestop and they guy I talked to said that he'd be able to hook me up with Shaun of the Dead. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and report what happens.