Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Monty Python Megaset + Life of Python or MP Live! - $99.88

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monty Python Megaset + Life of Python or MP Live! - $99.88

Yes, I'm aware of the Sam's Club or Costco deals of getting the megaset for $90. But if you don't have a membership for either one of those and you'd like to get it and the 2-disc Life of Python or Monty Python Live!, deepdiscountdvd has this deal available starting 11/9/04. And free shipping available too, of course.

Be sure to use the DeepDiscountDVD link in DVDTalk Shop section!

Last edited by RKillgore; 10-06-04 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope this price drop means that they're going to eventually re-issue the set.
Old 10-07-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
What would be in a possible re-issue? Is the video/audio considered poor? It is an almost 40 year old TV show - from the BBC no less. I just don't know how much the release could be improved, other than transferring to whatever high capacity DVD format comes down the road and all 14 DVDs of the mega set are released as a 2 DVD set. The current set is outstanding.
Old 10-08-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Monty Python Megaset + Life of Python or MP Live! - $99.88

Originally posted by RKillgore
Yes, I'm aware of the Sam's Club or Costco deals of getting the megaset for $90.
Thanks for the heads-up - I haven't seen any online or in store at Sams / Costco for a while. I was planning on picking this up during the next 20% off sale at DDD (which would be $96), but this makes the deal even sweeter.
Old 10-08-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The video is poor. Whether it good be improved is impossible to say. Perhaps there are better source materials in a vault somewhere. Perhaps this is the best it will ever get.
Old 10-08-04, 02:45 AM

The video ain't exactly "poor" - it's not pristine and not crisp, but it is totally acceptable for such an old British TV show. I love it!

S
Old 10-08-04, 08:25 AM

From a renting-at-Netflix perspective, it's pretty annoying that there's only 3 episodes per disc. BBC/WB DVDs have twice that. With A&E I always get the feeling they spent the least amount of time and money possible.

Last edited by taronga; 10-08-04 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
The video is poor. Whether it good be improved is impossible to say. Perhaps there are better source materials in a vault somewhere. Perhaps this is the best it will ever get.
You haven't read the back of one of the cases?

Now in glorious digital DVD format so that you, the digital afficionado, can enjoy the original scratches, pops and hisses with crystal clarity.
Sounds like an easy out, but considering the impressive restoration done on old Doctor Who episodes, it would be possible to clean them up. But, if they're still under the distribution auspices of A&E, who knows if they'd go to that trouble? My only complaint about this set is that many of the "extras" are repackaged skits from other discs, highlighting Gumbys or Pepperpots, for example. Actual extras, like some Hollywood Bowl Live skits, are scattered throughout the set. But that's more of a marketing tool for selling the discs individually. If they planned to release it as a whole set, they probably could have reduced the content down to 8 or 9 discs.

Last edited by RKillgore; 10-08-04 at 08:41 AM.