Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy $5 off deal for EW/SI sign up

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy $5 off deal for EW/SI sign up

Went to pick up Slacker and the clerk said they just started running this offer. Sign up for one and get $2 off, sign up for both and get $5 off. She mentioned you can sign up and then go home and cancel the trial immediately after if you prefer. Also mentioned there is no limit as to how many times you can do this. If you can keep track of your subscriptions, you can get both mags for free by cancelling and resigning.
Old 09-13-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy $5 off deal for EW/SI sign up

Originally posted by nonametofame
Went to pick up Slacker and the clerk said they just started running this offer. Sign up for one and get $2 off, sign up for both and get $5 off. She mentioned you can sign up and then go home and cancel the trial immediately after if you prefer. Also mentioned there is no limit as to how many times you can do this. If you can keep track of your subscriptions, you can get both mags for free by cancelling and resigning.
all that trouble isn't worth $5

They were giving away a free DVD with this deal a few months back (Good Bad Ugly SE, 50 First Dates, etc)
Old 09-13-04, 04:09 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not worth the hassles IMO.
Old 09-13-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you forget to cancel, remember that they have your credit card number from Best Buy and they will charge for the remainder of the subscription period.
Old 09-13-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
This deal has been happening for a few months now. I have bought Hellboy, Taking Lives and Punisher for $9.99. I also received (possibly depends on the BB store) 2 20 oz. Coca-colas, popcorn and the EW/SI subscriptions.

IMO, it's worth the hassle. Not much of a hassle at all actually, takes 2 minutes of your time, tops. Just go to the EW and CNNSI sites to cancel your subscriptions.
Old 09-13-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Just go to the EW and CNNSI sites to cancel your subscriptions.
Now this actually seems very easy. Have you had any problems cancelling online and having the cancellation actually stick?
Old 09-13-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ben12
Now this actually seems very easy. Have you had any problems cancelling online and having the cancellation actually stick?

None at all, cancellation status appears on your account automatically. I apologize, but I forgot to mention that you may have to wait a day or so after your purchase for your account to appear on the EW and CNNSI sites.
Old 09-13-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts
These customers -- they're smart!
Old 09-14-04, 12:44 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So after a day or two after you made the purchase /w the magazine signup, you just go to the magazine website and cancel your subscription? Sounds much easier than calling a 1-800 and be put on hold forever.

I take that the BB receipt has all the information regarding how you might cancel your subscription online, including some form of an account number and password, right?
Old 09-14-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau
So after a day or two after you made the purchase /w the magazine signup, you just go to the magazine website and cancel your subscription? Sounds much easier than calling a 1-800 and be put on hold forever.

I take that the BB receipt has all the information regarding how you might cancel your subscription online, including some form of an account number and password, right?
There's an order # listed for each subscription and an 800 number, but no instructions. I can give you a walkthrough:

- Go to EW website. Select "Magazine Customer Service".

- Enter either "Account Number" or your personal information (Name, Street Address, State, Zip Code, e-mail address). Try your personal info first, entering the order number in "Account Number" field doesn't usually work for me.

- Your purchase date will appear on info. Select "Cancel Subscription" under "Service Option". You are done!

The same interface is used on the CNNSI website.
Old 09-14-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

took about 2 minutes of my time as well. If two minutes is a hassle, you guys must have some damn stellar deals lined up. If there's another way to pick up Slacker for $23 and tax (20% off coupon plus $5 off), i'd like to know.
Old 09-14-04, 02:55 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds easy enough for a $5 discount

How often can you do the sign-up and unsubscribe? I imagine you got to cancel first before signing up again at your next purchase at BB.
Old 09-14-04, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When you sign up, do they verify that you are giving them your real address info? I'd prefer to make something up since I've no interest in actually receiving the mags anyway.
Old 09-14-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau
Sounds easy enough for a $5 discount

How often can you do the sign-up and unsubscribe? I imagine you got to cancel first before signing up again at your next purchase at BB.
I have done it 3 times already, doesn't seem to be a limit.
Old 09-14-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
When you sign up, do they verify that you are giving them your real address info? I'd prefer to make something up since I've no interest in actually receiving the mags anyway.
I believe BB obtains your info from your credit card. They then, in turn, submit that info to EW and SI. The times I have gone, they have only asked me for my e-mail address, which typically isn't part of credit card information.
Old 09-14-04, 11:05 PM

Ok, this must be YMMV, because the store I work at hasnt started this yet. What we do is get your address and such, then you have to swipe a major credit card (Visa, AMEX, Discover, Best Buy, might be one more). As long as you cancel though you wont get charged. Hopefully we start doing this, because these magazines are as hard as hell to sell without something like that.
Old 09-15-04, 03:09 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Come to think about it, I can't recall my local BB cashiers mentioned anything about $5 off my purchase if I sign up for the magazines. Could the $5 off a local deal?
Old 09-15-04, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I asked at my local store today and they aren't doing it either. Oh well, I always miss out on the good deals.