Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

SCTV Season Two 23.99 at Blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to get mine today but the BB store I paid for it in full at showed that they have none in stock yet, even though it also said the street date was Oct. 19. Guess I will wait for them to call me.

I also tried to pre-order the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 2 for $29.99 but the manager said $29.99 was the MSRP price, the Blockbuster Price was $59.99! Glad I kept my Amazon preorder.
Old 10-26-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Figures people would get greedy and send a red flag.
Old 10-26-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lecithin
I tried to get mine today but the BB store I paid for it in full at showed that they have none in stock yet, even though it also said the street date was Oct. 19. Guess I will wait for them to call me.

I also tried to pre-order the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 2 for $29.99 but the manager said $29.99 was the MSRP price, the Blockbuster Price was $59.99! Glad I kept my Amazon preorder.
Did you make sure they had placed the special order? Or are they just hoping this set appears out of their ass magically one day?

So BBV admits they raise prices over the MSRP? That's interesting. I really didn't know places do that. I thought MSRP was the max they could charge. I guess it is a "suggested" retail price, afterall, but in the end I would think that it was put in place so places didn't arbitrarilly overcharge customers.
Old 10-26-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tragedy of the commons, we are all just farmers grazing our cows (leather wallets) on BBV's mispriced DVDs.

Basic economic theory says, it only makes sense for people (aka "rational actors") to maximize value (aka exploit it) today because lacking any other restraints, if they don't exploit it to the point of killing it, someone else will instead, so it might as well be them. Since DVDtalk is effectively open to the entire world, there will always be such people.

That's the main reason the "secret" FYE Ken Burns deal thread came into being, it was a way to try to exert an additional restraint so that it would be rational for people to not exploit it to the hilt in the interests of the greater good (such as getting in on the next such "secret" deal). I think the main reason there were problems with the FYE thread was it was put together kind of spur-of-the-moment and so the system for controlling who got access to the secret wasn't very optimal and because of that people felt arbitrarily excluded.

Personally, I'd be in favor of some sort of secret society of DVD dealsmen that worked to manage "deal-flow" in the interest of maximizing long-term gains for the entire group. As long as it used a far and reasonably effective system to do so. What that system should be, I don't know, there might possibly just plain not be a good answer besides keeping membership really, really low.

Aplogies for the off-topic post, but after 7 pages of the same old, same old (my local BBV did/didn't hassle me - circle the appriopriate description) I figured a little philosophy wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-27-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a head-spinner!
Old 10-27-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
My brain hurts but plenty of good points.

Last edited by speedy1961; 10-27-04 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel

Tragedy of the commons, we are all just farmers grazing our cows (leather wallets) on BBV's mispriced DVDs.

Basic economic theory says, it only makes sense for people (aka "rational actors") to maximize value (aka exploit it) today because lacking any other restraints, if they don't exploit it to the point of killing it, someone else will instead, so it might as well be them. Since DVDtalk is effectively open to the entire world, there will always be such people.

That's the main reason the "secret" FYE Ken Burns deal thread came into being, it was a way to try to exert an additional restraint so that it would be rational for people to not exploit it to the hilt in the interests of the greater good (such as getting in on the next such "secret" deal). I think the main reason there were problems with the FYE thread was it was put together kind of spur-of-the-moment and so the system for controlling who got access to the secret wasn't very optimal and because of that people felt arbitrarily excluded.

Personally, I'd be in favor of some sort of secret society of DVD dealsmen that worked to manage "deal-flow" in the interest of maximizing long-term gains for the entire group. As long as it used a far and reasonably effective system to do so. What that system should be, I don't know, there might possibly just plain not be a good answer besides keeping membership really, really low.

Aplogies for the off-topic post, but after 7 pages of the same old, same old (my local BBV did/didn't hassle me - circle the appriopriate description) I figured a little philosophy wouldn't hurt.
this sounds like a variation of the Prisoner's Dilemna or the Game Theory from economics. Unfortunately, it's so true.
Old 10-27-04, 05:37 PM

I was able to place one on order last night. The price I was quoted was 23.99. I wonder if the employees are hoarding them for themselves in some sort of post-christmas returning scam at another retailer?
Old 10-27-04, 07:56 PM

I think you give BBV employees waaaay too much credit.
Old 10-27-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope the story about "no more orders" for V2 is not true because of my most recent experience.

I placed an order back when this thread first started @ the same BBV that fulfilled my copy of V1 (figured I had a better chance there). Oct 19th rolls around & no phone call. I wait until yesterday to give the store a call to inquire about my order. The clerk looks & says "Yes, it's here" - great I think, so I venture over a few hours later.

The clerk finds my order & lo-&-behold it is V1 - not the V2 I ordered or inquired about just a few hours earlier. Apparently the distributor shipped them the wrong item - paperwork had right # & name. The clerk says that she'll let the manager know & that they'll re-place the order. I say "ok, just so long as I get it" and I walked out (w/out mis-shipped V1).

I got to thinking on the way home - "What if they can't get a copy of V2? I'll be out of luck then." So today, I made a trek back to that store & bought the V1 copy that was shipped. I figure that I'll at least have a trading possibility later for at least V2 or something else is my V2 does come in.

At least it hadn't come out all bad for me. Just a little more delay.
Old 10-27-04, 09:42 PM

Yes, this is what I had in mind when I started the now-infamous FYE thread. I didn't expect it to succeed on the first try, because of the factors you mentioned (I have studied the prisoner's dilemma at length in both an economic and a legal context), and because I didn't have a sense of what role curiosity would play (verdict: central). I too would be in favor of working out the kinks for future deals--I'm more interested in conducting social experiments like this one than in scoring every deal for myself.

Old 10-27-04, 11:26 PM

can blockbuster take a deposit and pay off a late fee with it?
Old 10-28-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They called me yesterday, and I went in and picked it up no problem (after a $5 down payment awhile back)! Granted it has some impression on on the cover from someone writing on top of it, but oh well... >
Old 10-30-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to walk in today and pick up my DVDs with no trouble at all. Thing is, the manager never called me to tell me that they had arrived. It was only thanks to the keen eyes of another DVDTalker that I knew that they had arrived. Thanks to him and to the original poster for this great deal!
Old 10-30-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
No problem picking up my set on Friday.

The clerk asked whether I had left a deposit. I replied that I wanted to pay in full but that the on-duty staff did not know how to do that.

The clerk responded that corporate was instructing employees NOT to take deposits or paid in full orders just in case they were not able to obtain an item for the customer. I was told that it creates problems when trying to give a customer refund.

Of course, we here at DVDTalk know differently.
Old 10-30-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
there is no problem with a refund. especially if it's a credit card. you just put a return credit on the card.

idiots.
Old 10-31-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by whotony
there is no problem with a refund. especially if it's a credit card. you just put a return credit on the card.

idiots.
They just don't know how to do a presale credit. The "problems" they mentioned above were not because of some mandate from Corporate (I call BS on that!) but from them own damn selves for being ignorant of how to properly process credits. The problem is they are untrained and don't know what they are doing.
Old 10-31-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
true. another problem is that refunds are only supposed to be done by mod's.
so if they dont know how to do it that is a disgrace.
Old 11-02-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I went in to pick up my Looney Tunes V2 today and was told that they didn't get it yet and that I would have to reorder and at the higher price of 59.99 of course. I asked them about the discrepancy with the Blockbuster price being higher than the MSRP and they were like "thats our price" and nothing could be done. A little pissed about the whole thing but whatever. Anyway, I guess that's it.
Old 11-03-04, 12:03 AM

I wonder what would happen if you did a combo order of an absurdly high-priced item with an under-priced item together at a store with a history of "changing" the price after the title is inventory. Would they stick to their guns about "that's our price" or whatever for both titles? If they did, you could just return the one you didn't want at some point down the line.
Old 11-03-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The one thing that I hate about Best Buy, Blockbuster, Circuit City and most retail stores is when they say "I won't sell it at that price" or something similar. They say it like they own the store which is ridiculous. I know sometimes when I go to price match at best buy they will say oh "I am not selling my dvds at that price." This is something that really irritates me.
Old 11-03-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder what would happen if you did a combo order of an absurdly high-priced item with an under-priced item together at a store with a history of "changing" the price after the title is inventory. Would they stick to their guns about "that's our price" or whatever for both titles? If they did, you could just return the one you didn't want at some point down the line.
I wouldn't want to take a chance with their logic. They would probably say that the price you bought it for is the price we will credit you back or some other f'd up logic.
Old 11-03-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got called today to come in and pick up both SCTV Vol. 2 and Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Volume 2 from my local BBV. No problem with the SCTV set (though they did point out how much money they were losing on it...and I, in turn, pointed out how much money I had lost selling them used DVDs for $5 a few weeks before the $8 promotion was announced,) but they were mistakenly sent two copies of the 2-disc LT set instead of one copy of the 4-disc set. Asst. manager looked at my receipt, which clearly stated "LOONEY TUNES-GOLDEN COLLECTION-VOL. 2" and said he would reorder it (another two weeks wait, however.)
Old 11-03-04, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by jiggawhat
The one thing that I hate about Best Buy, Blockbuster, Circuit City and most retail stores is when they say "I won't sell it at that price" or something similar. They say it like they own the store which is ridiculous. I know sometimes when I go to price match at best buy they will say oh "I am not selling my dvds at that price." This is something that really irritates me.
Kind of like when people are at work using THEIR computer? They say it like they own the computer, which is ridiculous......

Last edited by Mr. Clops; 11-03-04 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-03-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.