Actual DVD movies at the Dollar Store

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Actual DVD movies at the Dollar Store

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-04, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was back at the 99 Cents Only Store again today and they had another shipment in. Here's a partial list of what they had:

Little Shop Of Horrors (Jack Nicholson)
The Lucy Show (3 episodes)
The Lone Ranger (3 episodes)
Superman Cartoons
Stage Door Canteen (Dorsey Brothers)
Fabulous Dorseys (Dorsey Brothers)
Fighting Caravans (Gary Cooper)
This Is The Army (Ronald Reagan)
Mr. Moto's Last Warning (Peter Lorre)
Triumph Of Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone)
Blood In The Sun (James Cagney)
Bowery Blitzkreig (East Side Boys)
White Zombie (Bela Lugosi)
Mr. Wong, Detective (Boris Karloff)
The Terror (Karloff)
His Girl Friday (Cary Grant)
Amazing Adventure (Grant)
House On Haunted Hill (Vincent Price)
Last Man On Earth (Price)
Bulldog Drummond Comes Back (John Barrymore)
The Hitch-Hicker (Edmond O'Brien)
The Bigamist (O'Brien)
Dementia 13 (Frances Ford Coppola's directorial debut)
Dark Journey (Vivien Leigh)
Meet John Doe (Gary Cooper)
Old 03-20-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from my local 99 Cent Only store in L.A. and they had stacks and stacks of the titles in the post above, so anyone with this chain nearby may want to check it out. Lots of people were looking through them so they may go quick.
Old 03-21-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those getting these cheapie discs, be sure to open and inspect them! One of the discs I got yesterday had a manufacturing defect "ripple" through the disc coating and it would not play. I felt silly going into the 99 Cent store to ask for an exchange.

Also, I have to say I am surprised as these are the first DVDs I have ever bought that just start playing the movie when you insert the disc... no menu, no options at all, and some of the titles don't even have chapter stops so you easily forward. It's basically a VHS tape except on disc.

2nd surprise... Last Man on Earth was actually in widescreen and looks like a great transfer! The quality of the others I have tried so far are pretty much what I expect for public domain old titles.
Old 05-09-04, 01:58 AM

The movies at dollar tree appear to be similar in nature to bootleg type movies shot in a movie theater. They all appear to be video shot at a movie screen. The edges of the video are choppy, and the transfers are plain aweful.

I was hoping the old cartoon disks would be watchable. They are terrible.

rob
Old 05-09-04, 02:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For a dollar, you shouldn't expect the best. In another thread I said I bought 2 different DVDs of The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show. One had different episodes from the episodes listed on the sleeve and the disc itself. One episode looked too bright, but the others looked like good prints of the shows.
Old 05-09-04, 06:24 PM

I have seen this type of stuff on vhs with decent quality. That stuff is total junk-at least the ones I saw.

Rob
Old 05-09-04, 06:56 PM

I picked up a copy of "The Abbott and Costello Show" at Dollar Tree. My DH was happy because it contained the "Who's On First" routine. Definitely worth a buck.
Old 05-11-04, 07:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
I am really surprised at people complaining about ANYTHING with these discs! I haven't even seen VHS tapes on sale for $1 around me! And some of these TV shows may be available on VHS, but I certainly haven't seen them..The titles themselves vary a lot - that is what I like about them. This gives me a chance to see some old TV shows that I would normally never buy.
Old 05-11-04, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by cinemaman
I am really surprised at people complaining about ANYTHING with these discs! I haven't even seen VHS tapes on sale for $1 around me! And some of these TV shows may be available on VHS, but I certainly haven't seen them..The titles themselves vary a lot - that is what I like about them. This gives me a chance to see some old TV shows that I would normally never buy.
I'm with you Cinemaman . . . the quality on these discs, generally speaking, is far better than what I had expected for a dollar, particularly the releases from Television and Movie Classics. And, as far as many of these television shows are concerned, thank goodness for the public domain! Without the public domain, many of these old television shows would still be sitting in some studio's vaults. A perfect example is the 1950s version of Dragnet . . . a great series that has never had an official release from Universal. While there may be just a few episodes that are in the public domain from many of these older series, at least we have the chance to see some of them.
Old 05-11-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So these dvds are $1? When I got to say, Dollar General, they have dvds for around 3.99 - 5.99
Old 05-11-04, 06:07 PM
Banned

I went back to mine and finally found the motherload. They had a box of dvds at each register and a couple more.

Out of all that I ended up buying some show that is similar to the outer limits and the twilight zone. Had 3 episodes on it. Haven't watched it yet.
Old 05-11-04, 07:45 PM

Can I ask two questions:

1. Are these movies DVD's
2. Are they $1.00 exactly, or 99¢

I'm asking because I have some of the Rosemount Winetag coupons (no wine purchase necessary woo hoo) — but they are exactly $1.00 off, and won't work for less than that.

PEACH
Old 05-11-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mclori
I picked up a copy of "The Abbott and Costello Show" at Dollar Tree. My DH was happy because it contained the "Who's On First" routine. Definitely worth a buck.
Your post was the reason I checked my local Dollar Tree for DVDs. They now have the DVDs, but none of the Abbott and Costello ones. I hope they'll get some new inventory with that included.
Old 05-11-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MISS PEACH
Can I ask two questions:

1. Are these movies DVD's
2. Are they $1.00 exactly, or 99¢

PEACH
Well, as far as the ones at the Dollar Tree stores, the thread title did say it all:
"Actual DVD movies at the Dollar Store"..........
So yes, they're DVDs, and they're $1.00

And, just guessing here, but I'd bet the ones at the 99c store are uhhhh, about 99 cents.
Old 05-12-04, 07:59 AM

went to my local dollar store - they had a bunch of titles in stock - mostly crap. they did have The Stuff - a cool larry cohen (i think ?) pic and episode 1 of Farscape.
Old 05-12-04, 11:11 AM

Only thing my Dollar Tree had were old TV shows and some older movies ( sinatra, Temple, etc. ) which by no means is bad but after seeing this I wish they had had some of those.
Old 05-12-04, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by taronga
Which dollar stores have DVDs been seen at? I had no luck at Dollar General, but I saw Lawnmower Man and a Jackie Chan film with no price stickers at Family Dollar yesterday. They looked like they'd been left on the shelf when someone decided not to buy them. I never did find the original display.
Taronga...what part of KY are you in?

There's a Dollar Tree in Nicholasville, Lexington ( Broadway ), and in Winchester.
Old 05-12-04, 08:44 PM

Here's what I picked up from Dollar Tree:

- Dick Van Dyke (3 episodes)
- Casper
- Frank Sinatra: Suddenly (They had two different versions of the exact same movie, one w/ a brown cover, probably from Treasure Box but I'm not sure, and one with a black & white cover with a red bar on top - from Movie Classics. I got the latter version because the other brown one was kinda beat up.)
- Tales of Tomorrow (3 episodes)
- Dick Tracy (The disc has a big scratch on the front, but upon quick inspection, it seems to still play okay.)
-Sheock Holmes (3 episodes)

I also got a VHS half-hour episode of the Twilight Zone (It's called Night of the Meek. It's a Christmas episode.)
Old 05-12-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Yeah well, until Kingdom Of The Spiders comes out I ain't buying nothing!
I know this was a joke, but if you are acutally looking for this, WM had it a few months ago with Night of the Living Dead for $5.50. At $2.25 each (both in keep cases to boot), I couldn't pass it up. KOTS is Shatner's best.

Gotta love the final scene/pull away.
Old 05-13-04, 05:53 PM

Just picked up Flash Gordon (TV Series) DVD from the Bolingbrook, Illinois Dollar Tree.

They have a huge bin, all neatly displayed vertically, in the very fron of the store. Almost walked right past them, looked like child books or something.

All are in color sleeves, gatefold design and taped on one end.

The Flash Gordon DVD contains 3 episodes, each complete and what appears to be the original opening theme.

The quality was suprisingly good. Way better than Madacy or the Platinum Corporation DVD's that Wal-Mart sells. Epsiode 3 however had some very minor pixilation around the edges. A little distracting but still not bad for a buck.

They also had Dragnet, Beverly Hillbillies, Ozzie & Harriet, a John Wayne western and some other films. They had no cartoons at all though.

When I can I will describe the 3 episodes in more detail.
Old 05-13-04, 10:28 PM

I bought a few of the TV show dvds this week. Not the ones that say Treasure Chest on the front. These were much better quality than the Treasure Chest stuff. They are definitely worth the buck. I bought one with Dick Van Dyke shows and a few others. It is interesting that these have some company name and address on them, while the Treasure Chest ones do not show a company name on the cardboard sleeve. I bought the Dragnet show and one documentary on Marilyn Monroe. I did not havetime to check those out yet.

Rob
Old 05-13-04, 10:28 PM

I remember those Flash Gordon shows from seeing them in the library as a kid. They were quite good and the old special effects were alot of fun!

rob
Old 05-15-04, 01:51 PM

I went to my local Dollar Tree yesterday and (they were on an endcap, btw) didn't see anything that I would want to waste my coupons on. I predict we're going to see more and more of these public domain titles — and in a way I'm hesitant to start nibbling around the edges of some of these titles when I'd prefer to end up having bought them once on a Megapack.

Rite-Aid, Rite-Aid, where for art thou 19.99 Rite-Aid LOL.

Peach
Old 05-15-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by robertw477
I bought a few of the TV show dvds this week. Not the ones that say Treasure Chest on the front. These were much better quality than the Treasure Chest stuff. They are definitely worth the buck. I bought one with Dick Van Dyke shows and a few others. It is interesting that these have some company name and address on them, while the Treasure Chest ones do not show a company name on the cardboard sleeve. I bought the Dragnet show and one documentary on Marilyn Monroe. I did not havetime to check those out yet.

Rob
Are these the ones that say "Movie Classics" or "TV Classics" and have an address in California? These are the ones that have been at my local 99 Cent Only stores, but yesterday, the store had a bunch of "Treasure Chest" titles which were in much nicer packaging but I guess from your post that the quality sucks.
Old 05-15-04, 11:38 PM

Correct. These are the ones that have a CA address. An amazing deal for 1.00. Unless somebody says otherwise the treasure chest titles stink. By the way...are any of the old doman cartoons that they sell in Best buy any good. There are some old superman disks and such.

Rob

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.