Free DVD and Game Rental Trials and Offers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm...that looks interesting!
Old 04-01-04, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the first week of my free 2 weeks at Netflix and I have a question. There are some (older) movies coming out on Tuesday which I've put in my que. Can I expect them to ship on the release date if I have my other movies back?
-John
Old 04-05-04, 12:04 PM

the 2 week free trail for greecine (code: dvdtalk) doesnot seem to work for me . is there a new code available ?

thanks
Old 04-07-04, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by philo
Well, its interesting that the week after my NetFlix trial ends and I sign up for 3 months, the delays begin.

During the trial period, almost everything was next day with 9 films received. Now just this week I have 2 movies they haven't received in 3 days and another they sent out that hasn't arrived in 3 days. I sure hope this is a fluke. This online renting sure makes you paranoid. Gimme gimme. Where's my fix?
Has anyone else had this kind of experience with Netflix? I am on a 2 week free trial and it seems to be going well (wife is pregnant on bedrest for the next 9 weeks (hopefully) and has tons of time to watch movies. My trial ends on Friday and I was thinking of extending. Last fall, I did the Walmart and FilmCaddy trials, and they were decent, but Netflix seems to be much quicker. There is a shipment center about 35 minutes from where I live. I just dont want to see a big dropoff in title selection and shipping time if/when I extend.
Old 04-07-04, 02:55 PM

ebs0303
I have definitely noticed what appears to be a deliberate slow down of my rentals...and l live 5 minutes from the post office that my dvds are returned to...there slogan that you can rent as many dvds as you want is bogus...i am on the 3 dvds at a time plan, live 5 mins from shipping center, and it is impossible for me to rent more than about 18 dvds a month - depending on the flow i rent about that much each month, but find myself foot taping for the dvds to arrive - they also have puzzling returns (i just dropped two dvds in the same mail box, and they have recieved only one - this has happened several times)...

bottom line, if you are impatient in waiting for your dvds, and watch a ton, then you might be frustrated...

i am also a blockbuster freedom pass holder that allows me to have 2 dvds out at time for $24.99 a month - while there selection is much poorer than netflix, i really can get as many dvds a month as i want - i could check out 2 dvds, return them 4 hours later, and get two more 4 hours after that if i wanted to...obviously, i am an extreme example

hope this helps
Old 04-07-04, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by ebs0303
Has anyone else had this kind of experience with Netflix? I am on a 2 week free trial and it seems to be going well (wife is pregnant on bedrest for the next 9 weeks (hopefully) and has tons of time to watch movies. My trial ends on Friday and I was thinking of extending. Last fall, I did the Walmart and FilmCaddy trials, and they were decent, but Netflix seems to be much quicker. There is a shipment center about 35 minutes from where I live. I just dont want to see a big dropoff in title selection and shipping time if/when I extend.
There may be some evidence that a slow down in shipping time is related to how many new releases you rent. If you rent mostly older movies, you may not have that problem. I've only been a subscriber for 6 weeks, but it seems to hold true for me so far.
Old 04-08-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by coop22
i am also a blockbuster freedom pass holder that allows me to have 2 dvds out at time for $24.99 a month - while there selection is much poorer than netflix, i really can get as many dvds a month as i want - i could check out 2 dvds, return them 4 hours later, and get two more 4 hours after that if i wanted to...obviously, i am an extreme example
Do they still offer this? I checked their webpage and only found mention of a Game Freedom Pass.
Old 04-08-04, 06:51 PM

Well, I think Ill probably stick with Netflix for the time being... I dont need to get 15+ movies out of them per month... If I can get 12/month, that would be more than worth it in my book. Now, if I try to cancel online, am I guaranteed of getting the 3 & 6 month deals?
Old 04-08-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ubigeneral
There is a new online rental place called gamezoneflix. They combine dvd's and video games! Over 28000 selections! try the free trial. Officially opened up today. Always wanted netflix style rental with games too. This is perfect for me and for those of you who enjoy both games and movies.
Check'em out.

http://www.gameznflix.xplorex.com/
Yeah tried them and now trying to cancel. No answer at the phones and no responses from my email questions
Old 04-09-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ebs0303
Well, I think Ill probably stick with Netflix for the time being... I dont need to get 15+ movies out of them per month... If I can get 12/month, that would be more than worth it in my book. Now, if I try to cancel online, am I guaranteed of getting the 3 & 6 month deals?
No, but you have nothing to lose by trying. You can always join again for the normal deal.
Old 04-10-04, 01:07 AM

I went to cancel my Netflix membership today and got the offer for the 3 and 6 months (took the 3).
-John
Old 04-10-04, 11:01 PM

I got the deal... actually a little late too. My trial subscription ended on the 9th, but I didnt log into my account til after midnight on the 9th (really early AM 10th), and went through the cancel route... the options came up, I selected 3 months at 15.99, and sure enough, my account was billed that amount today. Glad I still was able to get the deal.
Old 04-11-04, 12:44 PM

the blockbuster deal is still valid at my blockbuster in new jersey, but i am not sure if it is national...

i also tried to use the gamezonenflix site and got absolutely no response - no dvds, not return emails - i strongly recommend that you stay away from them - i will definitely keep an eye on my credit card, as they did not acknowledge my cancellation...

glad others are getting in on the discounted netflix deal
Old 04-12-04, 11:38 AM

I sent an e-mail to [email protected], to cancel the gameznflix.com account. It took 3 e-mails, to do it, but they finally closed it. I tried closing it last week, but after I sent the e-mail, complaining that their website was slow, and no notification was given for sent discs, I had two on the way. I then cancelled, and they sent two more. Not a good website.
Old 04-16-04, 09:32 AM

Netflix to raise prices

Starting June 15, 2004, these will be the new Netflix rates:

Standard - 3 movies out a time for $21.99
Plus - 5 movies out a time for $33.99
Ultimate - 8 movies out at a time for $49.99
Economy - 2 movies out at a time (limit: 4 rentals per month) for $14.99

Now I'm extremely glad I locked in 6 months at $14.99 at the end of my trial last month.
Old 04-21-04, 12:02 PM

I'm almost two weeks into my one month Filmcaddy trial and I'm ready to quit already. I have 12 movies on my list including several old releases and so far they've only shipped me two. There is no indication of how long the wait is on any of them. I'm glad to see they're Blockbuster owned as I am always rooting for the demise of Blockbuster.
Old 04-23-04, 10:13 AM

Im about 1 1/2 weeks into my paid Netflix subscription and overall I have to say Im pretty pleased. Shipping time to and from is 1 day, so usually I once I put a movie in the mail, Ill get another one in the mail 2 days later. If I get 10-14/month, Ill be more than satisfied.
Old 04-24-04, 08:28 AM

I average 3 to 4 DVDs a week. Minimum 3 maximum 4 so far. I only have the time to watch 4 a week anyway.

If I had rented the same amount of DVDs from BlockBuster, how much would I have paid? I have never rented from BB and I am curious to compare the costs.

I thought that the 1st 2 weeks will not be billed and will remain free if I continued on beyond the trial period. I was pissed when I found out that it wasn't so.
Old 04-24-04, 08:51 AM

anyone know if netflix is available in Canada, or if there's something similar available?
Old 04-24-04, 02:52 PM

DVDBarn (www.dvdbarn.com) has very faulty system for billing & notification. During my free trial, they charged my credit card for the next month without giving me the option to cancel. When I asked them to correct the error, they threatened to charge me for 2 DVDs still out, although the 30-day grace period for returns has barely started. Customer service is so-so: you'll hear from them but after a lot of email & explaining. A highly untrustworthy rental who blames everything on their "system".

of all rentals i tried, Netflix was most reliable (11~17 flix a month to Dallas), followed by Walmart.
Old 04-24-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hobgoblin

I thought that the 1st 2 weeks will not be billed and will remain free if I continued on beyond the trial period. I was pissed when I found out that it wasn't so.
Which service are you talking about?
Old 04-24-04, 03:43 PM
toq

Originally posted by Kris81
anyone know if netflix is available in Canada, or if there's something similar available?
According to this article, Netflix plans to expand into Canada some time next year. In the meantime, here's a quick rundown of places to rent online in Canada:

DVD Avalanche

Relay Rentals - also rents games

Davada.com

Hollyweb DVD

rentadvd

Zip.ca

DVDFlix.ca

DVDHype

VHQ Online

Movies For Me

DVD-Rental.ca

IndianDVD.ca - primarily Indian films

CanadaFlix - primarily Indian films
Old 04-24-04, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Peep
Which service are you talking about?
Netflix.
Old 04-25-04, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Hobgoblin
Netflix.
Receiving 3-4 DVDs a week from Netflix? That's quite some trick considering you show your location as Sydney, Australia.
Old 04-25-04, 03:58 PM

I am a fan of Finding Nemo. Get it?

I actually live very close to New Brunswick in NJ. My Netflix distribution center is also in New Brunswick. So if when I mail my return disc, they get it the very next day and immediately send me a new one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.