Reload this Page >

Where Do You Buy Your Trades/HC's?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 05-17-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

So I've got a couple go-to sources for my trades and hardcover compilations, and they work pretty well, but are sometimes fairly slow for the shipping. I've been using Tales of Wonder (aside from the shipping time I love them), and Cheap Graphic Novels (they're closer, so when they're on it shipping is faster, but they've been inconsistent lately due to COVID). Of course, I also use Amazon when they're priced right (they're wildly inconsistent on price, as I'm sure you're aware). Shipping is fast, but trades often come dinged up a little.

What sites do you order from when it comes to your trades and collections?
Old 05-17-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Re: Where Do You Buy Your Trades/HC's?

I usually use InstockTrades and Amazon, though I don't buy trades nearly as much as I used to (ran out of space). I did pick up a few with this last B1G1 half off amazon just had, though.
Old 05-17-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I usually use In Stock Trades, but I went about a year without buying anything physical, and during that time I heard IST’s service went down the tubes. I recently ordered the Defenders omnibus from them, and it took three weeks for them just to get it out the door.

As an alternative, I ordered the Kull Savage omnibus from Organically Priced Books, which is a small company I’ve heard good things about. However, they had it on back order, so this won’t be a good measure of their service.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It's much tougher now that IST is a shell of its former self. I still use them but I've been resorting to eBay/Amazon more often than I would like.

I've heard some recommend this place:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/
Old 05-17-21, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Bummer about In Stock Trades. I may still give them a shot at some point, but it sounds like they aren't doing any better than Cheap Graphic Novels (which is due, in part, to COVID related supply issues).

I'm still really happy with Tales of Wonder, aside from the geographical distance and shipping time. I'm always looking for a great supplier, though.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-17-21)
Old 05-18-21, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I haven't used Instocktrades for a while now. I have almost all of the graphic novels I want, and the only things I now want are the occasional new release.

How have they gone downhill?

Browsing through their website, it looks like they have quite a few things out of stock/unavailable, but that could down to pandemic supply issues from the publishers and distributors.

It wasn't unusual for them to be kind of slow filling orders. I have, historically, had a few that took a month or so. I think most of that came down to Diamond or the publishers more than IST.
Old 05-18-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I placed an order from instocktrades in early April and still haven't received it. All books were in stock and I didn't get a shipping email until 2 weeks ago and no idea when they will be here. The tracking number they gave me just says check tomorrow and never updates.
Old 05-19-21, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I usually preorder from Discount Comic Book Service but just tried cheapgraphicnovels.com for the first time. We'll see how they do compared to instocktrades.
Old 05-19-21, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Cheap graphic novels used to be my go to unless I remembered to order something on release week from instocktrades. Those two are basically worthless now and what little I do buy (at this point it's only classic X related omnibuses and the occasional artist edition) I either pre-order from tales of wonder or if I miss the preorder window, Amazon (or one of their 3rd party sellers).
Old 05-19-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I don’t buy as many trades/graphic novels anymore really, but for the most part when I do I just go with Amazon. I don’t have anywhere in town to buy them locally. If I get out of town there’s a place I like to stop and will usually try and find a few things.
Old 05-19-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only caveat with Amazon is that if you really care about the condition of your covers, it's hit and miss.
Old 05-19-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I was buying from InStockTrades (IST), but a few months ago moved to Discount Comic Book Service (DCBS). There were a few reasons I moved from IST, including them dropping the 50% off discount for new releases, and new releases (particularly omnis) would sell out in minutes, so you had to be ready to order right when they went live.
DCBS is a pre-order site that focuses on monthly shipments, so it only works out well if you order stuff pretty regularly.
Old 05-19-21, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In actuality I've probably ordered more hardcovers and trades from Target.com the past year than any other source. I load up whenever they run one of their book sales like Buy 2 Get 1 Free deals. Target doesn't actually fulfill those orders, it's a drop shipper. Never had much problem.
Old 05-19-21, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
In actuality I've probably ordered more hardcovers and trades from Target.com the past year than any other source. I load up whenever they run one of their book sales like Buy 2 Get 1 Free deals. Target doesn't actually fulfill those orders, it's a drop shipper. Never had much problem.
I usually find it impossible to find stuff on their site, let alone three things that are close in price that I want. That's why I usually just use Amazon when they match (unless I'm buying something with multiple volumes which are easy to group together)
Old 05-19-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I usually find it impossible to find stuff on their site, let alone three things that are close in price that I want. That's why I usually just use Amazon when they match (unless I'm buying something with multiple volumes which are easy to group together)
I develop a long wish list of items from their site far in advance of the sales. Target doesn't carry everything say like an Amazon but carries a surprising amount of stuff like omnibuses. The problem is that others have discovered this too because I've noticed many of the more expensive hardcovers sell out on Target when these sales hit. Once Target sells out of their limited allotment on an item, they rarely bring it back.

Amazon is often unwilling to drop their prices on some books, which makes them a less-than-ideal choice even when they match.
Old 05-21-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Ever since covid, shipping from a lot of these places that charge less for the book (IST, CGN, etc) has been abysmal, sometimes taking more than a month for them to ship out something they have in stock, then on top of that you get the USPS delays, thanks to that fuckwit postmaster DeJoy.
Old 05-23-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Ever since covid, shipping from a lot of these places that charge less for the book (IST, CGN, etc) has been abysmal, sometimes taking more than a month for them to ship out something they have in stock, then on top of that you get the USPS delays, thanks to that fuckwit postmaster DeJoy.
Yep my instocktrades order took 6 weeks and all 5 items were in stock.
Old 05-23-21, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For those that don't regularly keep up with omnibuses, they are selling out now across all retailers far, far faster. It's amazing how quickly some omnibuses disappear and then start commanding insane prices on eBay.
Old 05-23-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
For those that don't regularly keep up with omnibuses, they are selling out now across all retailers far, far faster. It's amazing how quickly some omnibuses disappear and then start commanding insane prices on eBay.
I think it's because people realized they go out of print eventually, so they grab them at a discount when released, then sell them if they want for 3 to 4 times what they paid. I'm sure that market will dry up eventually. But right now, they just don't print enough for the demand.
Old 05-25-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Happens often with manga also. I just recently started collecting and even with like short 8 or 9 volume series a couple of the volumes will be out of print and selling for hundreds of dollars.
Old 05-25-21, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure that's at least partially pandemic related, at least for stuff where they haven't lost the license. The worst case (for them) is when they print way too much and have to clearance them out.
Old 05-25-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm sure that's at least partially pandemic related, at least for stuff where they haven't lost the license. The worst case (for them) is when they print way too much and have to clearance them out.
Judging from other manga collectors I've talked to online seems it's always that way and not really pandemic related. A lot of stuff even popular stuff only gets 1 or 2 printings and that's it. So you have to make sure you don't wait too long before picking something up you wanted or you can miss out.
Old 05-25-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Judging from other manga collectors I've talked to online seems it's always that way and not really pandemic related. A lot of stuff even popular stuff only gets 1 or 2 printings and that's it. So you have to make sure you don't wait too long before picking something up you wanted or you can miss out.
I haven't bought a ton of manga recently (well, since digital became a bigger thing and I ran out of room for another three dozen One Piece volumes) but at least for the popular series, stuff seemed to be available at places like Rightstuf if there were new volumes coming out. Older series that are completed might be hit or miss but they have a vested interest in making sure someone can get into it from the beginning.

Maybe it's different for the smaller publishers, though. But for right now, even recent stuff like Viz releases of JJK and Chainsaw Man are in big demand.
Old 05-25-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Things go out of print because it's just not possible for publishers to keep their full backstocks in print, whether it's manga or anglophone.

Some titles, like Watchmen, Dark Knight, or Sandman, are pretty much evergreen and will always be in print for the foreseeable future, but everything else over a couple of years old will be on a case-by-case basis.

With manga publishers, the books are cheap and in black and white, but they just have so many series with so many volumes that it's not going to be possible for them to keep everything available when you factor in things like printing costs and warehousing costs.

Omnibuses, likewise, are big, expensive books, with higher printing costs and warehouse costs. When publishers have dozens of these in their backstock, they're just not going to be able to constantly reprint them. You also have to consider that they want people to buy them when they first become available and not wait months or years to pick them up, so they're sort of training their customers to buy things when they come out. Same thing applies to the Marvel Masterworks line and Epic Collections.
Old 05-26-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Omnibuses used to hang around longer and a few still do, but it's amazing how some seemingly disappear within months of release. I'm talking big names like the X-Men, not obscure Silver Age stuff. It's gotten much worse since DC left Diamond and Covid hit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.