Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Monsters by Barry Windsor-Smith

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Monsters by Barry Windsor-Smith

Probably my favorite comic artist, who seemed to have disappeared over the last 15 or 20 years, has just resurfaced with a new graphic novel, decades in the making. Comes out next week and early reviews are through the roof good.

https://www.brokenfrontier.com/barry...raphics-books/

Here's a new interview...

(I met him once, long ago, and I'm a little stunned by how much older he seems now - but I guess that's normal)
Old 04-20-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Monsters by Barry Windsor-Smith

I think he's been working on this forever, I swear I first heard about it in like 2002 or so. I'm excited to check it out.
Old 04-21-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I've got a friend ordering this for me next week (so that I can get free shipping). I've always loved his work from the beginning, -the very beginning, when his style was a Jack Kirby knock-off. I bought a book years later, -"The Studio", -which featured art from some guy named Windsor-Smith; I ordered the book for the other artists involved, not realizing "Barry Smith" had changed his professional name.
Old 04-21-21, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I assumed from the title that this was an art book. Definitely interested in the GN.
Old 04-27-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Some background on the story:

Once upon a time, in 1984, it was a planned Hulk story called Thanksgiving by Barry Windsor-Smith, which portrayed the Hulk's existence as a result of abuse Bruce Banner suffered as a child. The idea was then used by Bill Mantlo in the ongoing Hulk comic book revealing the Hulk to be an expression of what was then dubbed schizophrenia, now dissociative identity disorder and more commonly multiple personality disorder. Peter David credits Mantlo for inspiring his own work on the character, which became so seminal, defining the character for a generation.

Some state that Mantlo simply stole the idea, and that seems to have been Windsor-Smith's interpretation. But talking to industry figures, the consensus seems to be that Mantlo didn't steal it, but was referring to it. Knowing the story existed, presuming it would be published by the time his issue was out, and referring to it when writing his own. Expanding upon the original idea, with his own concepts of three externalised figures, Guardian, Goblin and Glow, representing Freudian aspects of the Hulk and Banner's mind, conjured up by the Crossroads world around him.

Barry Windsor-Smith pulled his Hulk story in protest and began to rework it for other publication plans. First to Dark Horse Comics where it would have been called Big Red, but he fell out with publisher Mike Richardson over the Storyteller series. He took the projects to DC Comics, where it would have been recreated with new characters as a graphic novel, Monster. However, that project failed as Karen Berger and Paul Levitz refusing to allow Windsor-Smith to use certain vulgarities in the comic, and a now-planned use of the c-word was too far for DC then (though commonplace in Hellblazer now). What was originally a 22-page story was now over 270 pages
Bleeding Cool
Old 05-02-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Those of you interested in this, the always excellent Twomorrows is focusing a major part of their next issue of Comic Book Creator on this book: https://twomorrows.com/index.php?mai...516d045aba003a

Comic Book Creator #25
features “The Return of the Storyteller,” as we conduct an in-depth discussion with the legendary comic book artist and illustrator Barry Windsor-Smith about his mammoth new graphic novel, Monsters, a tour de force decades in the making! We delve into the epic’s origin as an Incredible Hulk one-shot back in the mid-1980s and its subsequent evolution into perhaps BWS’s magnum opus, a 300+ page saga about rage, revenge, and forgiveness. Also included is a gallery of rare out-takes from Monsters. This issue also contains part two of our scintillating chat with Scott Shaw! about his Oddball Comics obsession, underground and ground-level comics work, Hanna-Barbera licensing material, and his collaboration with Roy Thomas on Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew! Then Ken Meyer, Jr. looks at the great fanzines of 40 years ago, plus we check in with with our usual crew: Rich Arndt, Kendall Whitehouse, Darrick Patrick, as well as revel in the latest Hembeck Dateline installment! Edited by Jon B. Cooke.

The following users liked this post:
Red Hood (05-02-21)
Old 05-08-21, 06:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I ordered it. Should be in my next DCBS box, any day now. Really looking forward to it.
Old 07-04-21, 08:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This was a good read. Can definitely see the Hulk elements that wound up as part of the Marvel mythos, and the reasons why Marvel likely passed on it.

My only complaint is that there are a number of pages toward the end of the book that seem much simpler than the rest. Almost as if BWS had an assistant finish them, or maybe some health issues had an effect on his drawing.
Old 07-07-21, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
My only complaint is that there are a number of pages toward the end of the book that seem much simpler than the rest. Almost as if BWS had an assistant finish them, or maybe some health issues had an effect on his drawing.
That, or maybe he realized it was taking so long (and maybe his publisher/agent pushing him), he decided to rush the rest of the book, finishing those last pages quicker than the rest. Also, as the story developed on it's own (he didn't have the full story when he started the book), when he finally did find his ending, he just hammered it out quickly.