Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Buying old back issues for certain story arcs is a pain in the butt

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Buying old back issues for certain story arcs is a pain in the butt

Went to the comic book shop couple of weeks ago this month. one of the old back issues i bought was Adventures of Superman 510 where it involved the Bizarro's World story arc.

Lo and behold when I got back home i was digging through my comic book long boxes to sort some comics in order and to see what i had for back issues that i bought recently.

i unintentionally bought Adventures of Superman 510 for the 2nd time. My fault i guess but also the comic book shop folks for not organizing their back issues of Superman comics in order where they had one box full of old Superman mixed with Adventures of Superman.

At the same time its hard to keep track of what you have and dont have for old Superman comics especially when trying to catch up on an old story arc like Bizarro's World or even Fall of Metropolis. Even that Death of Clark Kent/fight against Conduit storyline is tough to keep track of.

anyone else ever have this probblem when trying to keep track of you already have or dont have for old back issue for certain story arcs?
Old 01-20-21, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 378 Posts
Re: Buying old back issues for certain story arcs is a pain in the butt

I have a spreadsheet to log everything I own, so if I go out huntin' I know exactly what I'm looking for. If I had to rely on memory, I'd have a whole lot of duplicates!
Old 01-20-21, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts

Yeah, I used to have a little pocket-size notebook I marked down all the issue numbers of comics and magazines I was looking for. Part of the satisfaction of finding the books was getting to scratch them out of the book, slowly making the entire grid turn black.
Old 01-20-21, 01:19 PM
Banned

lol.

ive had some accidental buys of back issues especially of old Incredible Hulk Ghosts of the Past story arc. Thing is, I have a notebook page full of back issues written down of stuff I try to look for at the comic book shop but there are times when I accidently buy the same back issue of Adventures of Superman 510. 4 bucks for an old Superman back issue doesnt bother me much but its a pain trying to keep track of certain story arc parts to get.

at least with old Marvel stuff of Power Pack, Alpha Flight, Conan the Barbarian, old Uncanny X-Men i know what issues I really dont have and which issues I do have.

Too many Superman comic books from back then in the 1990s thats the only problem i have when looking for certain back issues etc
Old 01-20-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

It's why I only make random store buys if they are cheap or it's from an era/run I know I don't already own.
Old 01-20-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts

You don't have a smartphone or something you can use to pull up google sheets? That's probably a lot easier than keeping a notebook with you at all times.
The following users liked this post:
story (01-22-21)
Old 01-20-21, 05:11 PM
Banned

No I dont have a smartphone. Not even a plain cell phone. dont have the time or money to spend on a doohickey like a smartphone or whatever.

and a notebook paper is handier and easier to have than some dumb cellphone thingy that will crap out you anyway.

Back to subject anyway.

Anyone else ever accidently bought a back issue where you find out that you already have it for years?
Old 01-21-21, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

This is the only way to collect runs now:

https://www.collectorz.com/comic/clz-comics

I got in on a lifetime price, before they switched to yearly, but its amazing.
Red Hood (01-21-21)
Old 01-21-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by urrutiap
No I dont have a smartphone. Not even a plain cell phone. dont have the time or money to spend on a doohickey like a smartphone or whatever.

and a notebook paper is handier and easier to have than some dumb cellphone thingy that will crap out you anyway.

Back to subject anyway.

Anyone else ever accidently bought a back issue where you find out that you already have it for years?

ok then. I'm out.
Old 01-21-21, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Back to subject anyway.

It used to happen all the time until I got the collectorz app for my cell phone. They also sell a PC/Mac software for it. I guess you are posting here from your computer, right? My recommendation is to buy the software, catalog your collection and that way you will find yourself more organized and stop buying duplicates.
Old 01-21-21, 12:08 PM
Banned

No thank you to the app thingy. I prefer buying physical back issues.

also I dont buy duplicates all the frikkin time if thats youre hinting at. There are times where I cant remember if i have a certain back issue or not. It happens. Not my fault.

Its the comic book shop's fault for cramming bunch of old Superman comics mixed in together which is the problem
Old 01-21-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 378 Posts

Out of curiosity, how would you suggest the comic shop organize a bunch of old Superman comics? And once organized, how would they prevent the random customer from continually pulling out a book and returning it to an incorrect place?
Old 01-21-21, 02:32 PM
Banned

No thank you to the app thingy. I prefer buying physical back issues.

also I dont buy duplicates all the frikkin time if thats youre hinting at. There are times where I cant remember if i have a certain back issue or not. It happens. Not my fault.

Its the comic book shop's fault for cramming bunch of old Superman comics mixed in together which is the problem
This seems like it's going nowhere. You are blaming the store for you buying a duplicate book. We are giving you options to prevent that from happening again. Instead, your refuse the help and blame the store once again when it was really your fault for buying the duplicate. Let's try this one last time:

- Collectorz is a software to catalog your collection. This means you add the issues of your collection and the software will keep it organized. Is not a comic book reading app. It doesn't replace physical copies of a book. It simple aids in organizing a collection.
- An alternative is keeping a spreadsheet of the books you have. You can print that out and carry it around when you visit a store
- Most stores have a limited personnel, but if you ask nicely, they can help you find the books you want or take suggestions on how to organize back issues. Everyone has a different mind set on how things should be organized. Some people organize alphabetically, others do by character and others do by company. There's no wrong way.
Old 01-21-21, 02:51 PM
Banned

I already have a "spreadsheet"/list written down on a notebook paper stuff that I dont have. I do frikkin carry it around whenever i go to the comic book shop but there are times when i dont bring it. Then I have to remember in my head anyway of the stuff that I dont have. I shouldnt have to go and use some stupid electronic app doohickey
Old 01-21-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I already have a "spreadsheet"/list written down on a notebook paper stuff that I dont have. I do frikkin carry it around whenever i go to the comic book shop but there are times when i dont bring it. Then I have to remember in my head anyway of the stuff that I dont have. I shouldnt have to go and use some stupid electronic app doohickey
Jumping back in to say: I realize that written words don't often portray intent or tone, but man you seem really angry at people who are just trying to address your posts. This is a discussion forum and not a blog, after all.
majorjoe23 (01-22-21)
Old 01-21-21, 03:22 PM
Banned

Then I don't understand the point of this thread. People here including myself are trying to help you and we get angry retorts from you. You keep mentioning app doohicky (it isn't) while posting on this forum from your computer. You must be fun at parties.
Old 01-21-21, 05:19 PM
Banned

notebook paper is better to keep track of stuff.

Period
Old 01-21-21, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

notebook paper is better to keep track of stuff.

Period
Not according to your first post.
majorjoe23 (01-22-21)
Old 01-21-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

There are many ways to skin a cat. I'm not sure why this is even being argued.
Old 01-21-21, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There are many ways to skin a cat. I'm not sure why this is even being argued.
I don't think we aren't arguing here. Simply, Abe Simpson decided to create a thread and yell at the clouds.
majorjoe23 (01-22-21)
Old 01-21-21, 09:03 PM
Banned

wow. you people really are something
Old 01-22-21, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Yes, when 99% of people you encounter “really are something,” clearly it’s everyone else who is “something.”
Old 01-22-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,101 Likes on 768 Posts

I've never bought a duplicate comic before. I have an app on my phone that keeps track of them. Maybe you should try one of those? Pretty frikkin useful actually.
Old 01-22-21, 12:04 PM
Banned

well good for YOU to use a fancy app on your cellphone. i keep notebook paper handy.

Besides I dont forget all the damn time as to what i do have and dont have for old single back issues of an old comic book.
Old 01-22-21, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,101 Likes on 768 Posts

well good for YOU to use a fancy app on your cellphone. i keep notebook paper handy.

Besides I dont forget all the damn time as to what i do have and dont have for old single back issues of an old comic book.
How come you don't write down the Superman issue numbers in your notebook?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.