Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics Cuts Ties with Diamond

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: DC Comics Cuts Ties with Diamond

OMG yes, Action is so bad, and JR JR's art is the worst it has ever been. Dude just needs to retire at this point.

Superman is a fun ride, solid classic comic fun. But yeah the identity reveal feels like a non event now.
The following users liked this post:
The Valeyard (11-13-20)
Old 11-12-20, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

Tomasi's "Superman and Family" aspect brought me back after my disinterest in "Rebirth". I was really enjoying the book, but Bendis threw out everything to write the "Superman" he wanted. I've really disliked his work on the book, and I say that as someone who's generally liked Bendis's work. However, it's kind of verging on self-parody at this point, with all the run-on conversations. I'm glad to see him go.
Old 11-12-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Bendis made several disastrous creative choices (admittedly, I think some may have been dictated by editorial) on Superman. What they did to Jon was criminal right as the character was exploding in popularity.
The Valeyard (11-13-20)
Old 11-30-20, 04:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

That Was UCS Comic Distributors' Final FOC For DC Comics (bleedingcool.com)

Old 11-30-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new management at DC looks like they want to kill the Direct Market. The problem is they have no viable replacement other than digital.

In better news, the rumor is that DC has recognized how much fans loathed Superboy being aged up and somehow they plan to reset him back to being a pre-teen.
Old 11-30-20, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

There's a new Super Sons mini-series coming to Digital First. They'll probably release them as bundled issues or a trade after that. It's the third volume of their story mentioned in the last mini-series.
Old 12-01-20, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Yeah, this was another big fuck you to retailers last week. Worse part is that Lunar hasn't approved many of accounts moving from UCS to them due to the changes, so there are many stores that won't get DC Comics for the time being.

I don't think this is all about AT&T trying to kill the direct market. This is more about a huge communications conglomerate not knowing what to do with the properties they acquire and using bean counters for executive decisions. As you can see by the huge fuck up that has been the HBOMAX release, where to this day they don't have an app on ROKU, people can clearly see that these assholes don't have a clue on what the hell to do. The fact that they also have though about selling some of their higher profiting divisions, like WB Games, shows that this new company is fucking inept, similar as to when AOL and Time-Warner merged.
John Pannozzi (12-07-20)
Old 12-01-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Yeah, this was another big fuck you to retailers last week. Worse part is that Lunar hasn't approved many of accounts moving from UCS to them due to the changes, so there are many stores that won't get DC Comics for the time being.

I don't think this is all about AT&T trying to kill the direct market. This is more about a huge communications conglomerate not knowing what to do with the properties they acquire and using bean counters for executive decisions. As you can see by the huge fuck up that has been the HBOMAX release, where to this day they don't have an app on ROKU, people can clearly see that these assholes don't have a clue on what the hell to do. The fact that they also have though about selling some of their higher profiting divisions, like WB Games, shows that this new company is fucking inept, similar as to when AOL and Time-Warner merged.
They have already temporarily licensed out their old movie, show, and animation vault catalog to Weigel broadcasting (METV). Why not bite the bullet and make a new deal with a third party comic publisher? The publisher could be responsible for distribution, while Time Warner still retained ownership of the characters. Right now, they are just to large a conglomerate to give proper attention to all their properties. I know I mentioned this before, but it just makes too much sense.

John Pannozzi (12-07-20)
Old 12-02-20, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
They have already temporarily licensed out their old movie, show, and animation vault catalog to Weigel broadcasting (METV). Why not bite the bullet and make a new deal with a third party comic publisher? The publisher could be responsible for distribution, while Time Warner still retained ownership of the characters. Right now, they are just to large a conglomerate to give proper attention to all their properties. I know I mentioned this before, but it just makes too much sense.
Because no third party has the money to license all. The appeal of both Marvel and DC is having all these interesting IPs all under one roof, interacting with one another. How would a third party be able to afford licensing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and GL to do a Justice League title? What villains would they be able to work with and get the license? What would happen to creating new characters? Who would own them?

AT&T has all the resources to work this the right way. They just need to hire the right people to do the job. For fuck's sake, Disney/Marvel has already an Eternal movies on the books, and the idiots at Warnermedia still hung up on a Zack Snyder re-do? We are going to see Shang-Chi on the big screen and AT&T is going back to the well and doing another fucking Batman early years film. Batman should be fighting Hush by now.
John Pannozzi (12-07-20)
Old 12-02-20, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because no third party has the money to license all. The appeal of both Marvel and DC is having all these interesting IPs all under one roof, interacting with one another. How would a third party be able to afford licensing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and GL to do a Justice League title? What villains would they be able to work with and get the license? What would happen to creating new characters? Who would own them?

AT&T has all the resources to work this the right way. They just need to hire the right people to do the job. For fuck's sake, Disney/Marvel has already an Eternal movies on the books, and the idiots at Warnermedia still hung up on a Zack Snyder re-do? We are going to see Shang-Chi on the big screen and AT&T is going back to the well and doing another fucking Batman early years film. Batman should be fighting Hush by now.
Problem with their movie universe, is they have to many quirks, or silly hangups when it comes to the main characters.
​​​​
For instance, they can't look past Superman's trunks, using a villain besides Lex/Zod (Brainiac Who?), or mainly resisting the urge to make the main focus of his flicks be about messiah imagery. Why were they so hell bound and determined to incorporate the gimmicky 90's death and return of Superman story into their cinematic universe? What purpose did it served?

From the very start, why did they not make Dini and Timm the creative cinematic consultants, instead of Geoff Johns (I heart Barry Allen and Hal Jordan)? Why is killing bad guys a deal breaker, when it is never and issue in the MCU? Why can Wonder Woman not have stars on her panties?

When they finally commit to making a new Superman movie, it just seems like all of the idiots and goons come crawling out, armed full of bad ideas and suggestions.

Titus Interactive, makers of the infamous Superman 64 claimed in an interview they had an entirely different Superman game in development. That was until they demo an early build to representatives from DC/Warner Brothers. From that point, their vision of the game started falling apart, because of silly restrictions imposed by DC/Warners about Superman punching villains and other silly nonsense. I wonder if something similar happened to the recent Superman console game that morphed into an upcoming Suicide Squad game.?

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 12-02-20 at 11:38 PM.
John Pannozzi (12-07-20)
Old 12-03-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I think the Superman 64 thing is something else entirely. If anything, DC got too loose in allowing someone like Snyder the freedom to do whatever he wanted with the property. And that's the difference, they (IMHO) just made a bad decision on who to direct the ship. Maybe this new cut is as revolutionary as his fans want it to be, but probably not. I'm also not sure about the killing bad guys part, that's front and center in almost every DC movie where the bad guy doesn't survive to the sequel.

But stuff like Shazam and Wonder Woman are fine. Aquaman is... unlike any comic Aquaman pretty much ever but that's fine too. It makes more sense for them to keep everything in house than do what Marvel did when they had financial troubles and farm everything out (which they still regret).

Also, I love Dini and Timm but I kind of feel like if you gave Timm free reign he'd go all in on his Batman/Batgirl thing and that's something I'm fine not seeing on the big screen.
John Pannozzi (12-07-20)
Old 12-03-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think the Superman 64 thing is something else entirely. If anything, DC got too loose in allowing someone like Snyder the freedom to do whatever he wanted with the property. And that's the difference, they (IMHO) just made a bad decision on who to direct the ship. Maybe this new cut is as revolutionary as his fans want it to be, but probably not. I'm also not sure about the killing bad guys part, that's front and center in almost every DC movie where the bad guy doesn't survive to the sequel.

But stuff like Shazam and Wonder Woman are fine. Aquaman is... unlike any comic Aquaman pretty much ever but that's fine too. It makes more sense for them to keep everything in house than do what Marvel did when they had financial troubles and farm everything out (which they still regret).

Also, I love Dini and Timm but I kind of feel like if you gave Timm free reign he'd go all in on his Batman/Batgirl thing and that's something I'm fine not seeing on the big screen.
And before that, they let Bryan Singer do his weird thing, because of the Burton/Cage Superman Lives debacle. Another mistake Snyder made with MOS, was hiring the biggest douche bag in Hollywood to play Jonathon Kent. So we were treated to flashback scenes, where he expresses disappointment with Clark for risking his identity to save a bus load of drowning kids and other such cringe moments, until we are finally left rooting for the tornado to whirl him away.

I think they are more hands off and less demanding with WW and the secondary characters. Probably also doesn't hurt, that Johns had to take step back from
steering the ship towards the rocks. My main complaint, is the fact they don't have a real creative mind in place with vision.

Regarding Timm, maybe we could of got something good out of him before he start to want to indulge again into his Batgirl raping Batman fantasy fetish.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 12-04-20 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-03-20, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Warner executives did half-heartedly bring in Bruce Timm and Paul Dini for a movie pitch back in the 2000s. That was when WB had no idea how to reinvent Batman after the Schumacher disaster and hadn't yet brought in Nolan. The movie execs apparently didn't trust them to handle a blockbuster movie and heard them more as a courtesy to DC than anything else.
Old 12-03-20, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Warner executives did half-heartedly bring in Bruce Timm and Paul Dini for a movie pitch back in the 2000s. That was when WB had no idea how to reinvent Batman after the Schumacher disaster and hadn't yet brought in Nolan. The movie execs apparently didn't trust them to handle a blockbuster movie and heard them more as a courtesy to DC than anything else.
Completely true. Not only that, but Dini has told the story that WB execs at the time wanted a superhero movie but without tights, costumes, powers or "anything that seems silly or cartoonish and not realistic". This is the reason they went with Nolan's vision of Batman and then green lighted a grounded, no super powers version for the first season of Arrow. WB execs at the time believed that comic book movies were a fad and dying out due to bombs like the FF films, Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman and X-Men Last Stand. It wasn't until the Avengers came in and they did a 180 on superheros and that's the reason they rushed Man of Steel, and let the people on Arrow start using comic book characters with super powers. Bottom line, WB execs have been famous for hating comic books, finding them childish and don't see the appeal in them.

As to why Geoff Johns was hired over Dini and Timm. Well, Johns came to DC from Hollywood as he was Richard Donner's protege. In addition, Dini and Timm are seen as TV people, while Johns was seen as movie people. Again, this is all corporate bullshit and politics but it is what it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
ddrknghtrtns (12-03-20), John Pannozzi (12-07-20)
Old 03-25-21, 11:44 AM
Banned

This is huge. Marvel has cut ties with Diamond too.

Last edited by Red Hood; 03-25-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is huge. Marvel has cut ties with Diamond too.

https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/statu...701932034?s=21
Wow. A huge blow to Diamond, I wonder what their response to this is.
Old 03-25-21, 12:32 PM
Banned

Wow. A huge blow to Diamond, I wonder what their response to this is.
Will post Diamond's response on the Marvel thread so we can keep the discussion in one place.
Old 03-25-21, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Will post Diamond's response on the Marvel thread so we can keep the discussion in one place.
I was going to say maybe we should try to have the title of the thread changed and keep distribution discussion in here, but that works.

I wonder what the impact to the comic store is and whether having to go through yet another distributor will increase their costs/lose volume discounts. Red Hood, do you anecdotally know the actual fallout of the DC move, or is it still too early to tell with the pandemic still affecting sales?
Old 03-25-21, 12:55 PM
Banned

I was going to say maybe we should try to have the title of the thread changed and keep distribution discussion in here, but that works.

I wonder what the impact to the comic store is and whether having to go through yet another distributor will increase their costs/lose volume discounts. Red Hood, do you anecdotally know the actual fallout of the DC move, or is it still too early to tell with the pandemic still affecting sales?
That sounds a good idea.

DC sales have fallen but it has more to do with the changes that AT&T has made in regards to their output. As I mentioned before, AT&T did a sales analysis and the result was that DC biggest sellers are Young Adult graphic novels. This has to do with the fact that the YA books have distribution through Penguin Random House and deals with Scholastics and sold anywhere books are sold, not exclusive to LCS. Because of this, that became DC's focus. The sales analysis showed that graphic novels have steadily increased in sales and that Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman books are the companies top sellers. Due to this, LCS have gotten the short end of the stick as DC has greatly reduced their weekly output of comic books, increased the pricing of each release (Future State titles were as high as $8.99 and now Batman books will be $5.99 each) and the Tuesday release have affected people from coming in on Wednesday and purchase books on an impulse buy. Overall, DC is making a profit as they have done, but the cost cutting measures by AT&T have certainly impacted LCS around the world.
Old 03-25-21, 12:57 PM
Banned

The more I read into this, the more I think this is not as much competition but more of Marvel cutting Diamond off for good. Simply stated, Diamond will still get Marvel books but now from they will be a middleman for PRH. I wish this was more of a true competition between distributors but in this day and age, exclusive deals are the law of the land.
New York, NYMarch 25, 2021 – Marvel Comics and Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS), a division of Penguin Random House, the renowned trade book publisher, today announced an exclusive worldwide multi-year sales and distribution agreement for Marvel’s newly published and backlist comic books, trade collections, and graphic novels to comics shops, known as the Direct Market. PRHPS officially begins its distribution to Direct Market retailers for all Marvel titles starting October 1.

After a thorough analysis of the market environment, Marvel has chosen PRHPS as its distribution partner to create a sustainable, productive supply chain and enhanced infrastructure for Marvel publications that will benefit comics retailers and fans alike for years to come. Penguin Random House is known for its state-of-the-art multi-ranging services that enable independent booksellers to increase efficiency and profitability.

“Marvel’s entire history is built on telling great stories. And as we’ve seen for decades, those stories go hand in hand with equipping the comic shops who share them. Marvel and Penguin Random House stand by that vision, and we are excited to build and expand those opportunities for our talent, retailers, and fans,” said Dan Buckley, President of Marvel Entertainment. “Comics are the core of the Marvel Universe, and we are confident this new partnership will continue to grow and evolve this resilient industry. We look forward to advancing our capabilities with PRHPS to serve our fans and the Direct Market. We thank Diamond for their many years of support and partnership as we continue our relationship with them in other areas.”

Penguin Random House has long been committed to physical retail in order to foster and grow their market. Independently owned brick-and-mortar bookstores are local community builders, advocates for books, and passionate influencers for the industry.

After seeing a double-digit percentage in closures of physical bookstores from 2001 to 2011, and notwithstanding an anticipated rise in e-books, PRH significantly extended and expanded its outreach to physical retail. Through its robust supply chain of rapid direct shipping, greater access to data, and premier customer service, PRH helped support healthier margins that led to a market turnaround. These past experiences and learnings will be invaluable when adapting for today’s physical retailers in the Direct Market.

“This is an exciting time for comics, and we’re thrilled to partner with Marvel in taking the next steps to support the growth of the marketplace, together with our Direct Market retail partners,” said Jeff Abraham, President of Penguin Random House Publisher Services. “Based on the foundation of our relationships with physical retailers, we’re confident in the significant growth of the comic book industry and welcome the opportunity to further collaborate with and invest PRHPS’ resources in the Direct Market. Combining the standard-setting supply chain and sales capabilities of PRH with Marvel’s renowned universe of stories and characters, we expect to reach even more fans of its artists and writers throughout the world.”

Penguin Random House is a free-freight company, allowing retailers to simplify their business models while alleviating the volatility and complexity of reducing freight costs and planning. Through many of PRH’s standard offerings, like its rapid replenishment program for graphic novels and advanced supply chain, Direct Market retailers will experience more flexibility to manage inventory and stock their stores to best serve their customers.

Direct Market retailers can choose to order Marvel products direct from PRH, or alternatively, through Diamond as a wholesaler under terms established by Diamond in the US and the UK. Hachette Book Group will continue to manage distribution of Marvel’s graphic novels and trade collections to the book market.

Marvel’s full print and online October Marvel Previews catalog and comic book solicits will be available in July and distributed by PRHPS to active accounts. All comic book and trade orders for titles going on sale this October should be made through PRHPS. Early solicit titles will be available for order starting on May 26. Retailers can open PRHPS accounts now to register for Marvel’s monthly title catalogs and solicits, which will continue to be available to retailers approximately three months ahead of on sale.

Marvel and PRHPS will be sharing more information with retailers in the coming weeks and months, and retailers will have an opportunity to learn more about PRHPS’s offerings and hear directly from Marvel and PRHPS leadership in the coming weeks.

Direct Market retailers can reach out to Penguin Random House for more information about their respective markets:

About Marvel Entertainment
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media for over eighty years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing, publishing, games, and digital media.

For more information visit marvel.com. © 2021 MARVEL

About Penguin Random House Publisher Services
Penguin Random House Publisher Services, a Penguin Random House company, is a leading provider of sales and distribution services to premium third-party publishers. Its wide range of service offerings includes sales, warehousing, physical and digital distribution, credit and collection, marketing, and information technology. Its portfolio of clients includes Hay House, Beacon Press, DC Comics, Dark Horse, Rizzoli, New York Review Books, Shambhala, and many others. www.prhpublisherservices.com

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Timothy Cheng
Marvel Entertainment
[email protected]

Stuart Applebaum
Penguin Random House
[email protected]
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...graphic-novels
Old 03-25-21, 12:58 PM
Banned

Diamond's response

Statement by Steve Geppi in Response to Marvel’s Announcement

We value our almost 40-year relationship with Marvel and are pleased that we will continue selling Marvel products to the Direct Market and other channels. The change Marvel announced today represents a behind-the-scenes shift in how Diamond interacts with Marvel for certain products, but does not impact our ability to supply our customers with Marvel comics, trades, and graphic novels. I expect the discount terms under which our retail partners order these Marvel products to change, and Diamond will communicate that information to our customers well in advance of any adjustments. While there are still details of this new arrangement to work through, my leadership team and I are committed to making this supply change as operationally seamless as possible for our retail partners and we look forward to our continued distribution of Marvel products.
Old 03-25-21, 12:58 PM
Banned

Bottom line, if retailers get Marvel books through Diamond, they'll have to pay more as the discounts will change
Old 03-25-21, 12:59 PM
Banned

Something that I've meaning to post for a while is that many companies like DC, Archie, IDW, Dark Horse and Kodansha Comics have moved their graphic novel distribution to Penguin Random House, so it isn't hard to envision these and other comic companies moving away from Diamond.
Old 03-25-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That sounds a good idea.

DC sales have fallen but it has more to do with the changes that AT&T has made in regards to their output. As I mentioned before, AT&T did a sales analysis and the result was that DC biggest sellers are Young Adult graphic novels. This has to do with the fact that the YA books have distribution through Penguin Random House and deals with Scholastics and sold anywhere books are sold, not exclusive to LCS. Because of this, that became DC's focus. The sales analysis showed that graphic novels have steadily increased in sales and that Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman books are the companies top sellers. Due to this, LCS have gotten the short end of the stick as DC has greatly reduced their weekly output of comic books, increased the pricing of each release (Future State titles were as high as $8.99 and now Batman books will be $5.99 each) and the Tuesday release have affected people from coming in on Wednesday and purchase books on an impulse buy. Overall, DC is making a profit as they have done, but the cost cutting measures by AT&T have certainly impacted LCS around the world.
Yeah, that sucks. I don't know how LCS's stock trades because they are undercut severely by amazon and In Stock Trades and others, so outside of the impulse buy (which is all but impossible when COVID killed foot traffic) I don't know how they move it. DC (and perhaps now Marvel) not valuing the LCS is like the kiss of death.
Old 03-25-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

My LCS sells a ton of trades, but they also have a perfect location with a lot of foot traffic and tourists coming in. They seemed pretty happy with the Marvel news.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.