Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

2020 San Diego Comic Con cancelled due to coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
2020 San Diego Comic Con cancelled due to coronavirus

Not surprising, but the news is finally official. I know most in this forum don't live in California, so this means little to them, but this is huge for California. It's a huge blow to San Diego this summer.

https://www.thewrap.com/san-diego-comic-con-postponed/

In an unprecedented move, Comic Con international has canceled the annual San Diego Comic-Con, amid the coronavirus outbreak, organizers announced on Friday. It’s the first time the event won’t happen as planned in its 51-year history. Comic-Con was originally scheduled to take place between July 23-26.

The event will instead return to the San Diego Convention Center from July 22-25, 2021.

The cancellation is likely to have a serious economic impact on the city of San Diego. In 2019, more than 135,000 people attended SDCC’s 50th annual event, a figure that doesn’t include participants in numerous unofficial, offsite events who did not secure badges to the actual convention. According to the San Diego tourism board, the weeklong event annually generates about $90 million for the city and $150 million regionally.

The San Diego Comic Convention (Comic-Con International) is a California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation organized for charitable purposes and dedicated to creating the general public’s awareness of and appreciation for comics and related popular art forms, including participation in and support of public presentations, conventions, exhibits, museums and other public outreach activities which celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture. It was originally founded as the Golden State Comic Book Convention in 1970 and was later called the “San Diego Comic Book Convention”.

It is a four-day event (Thursday-Sunday) held during the summer (in July since 2003) at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego. Programming events, games, anime, the Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival, and the Eisner Awards all take place outside of the Convention Center, creating a campus-type feel for the convention in downtown San Diego.

The cancelation of Comic-Con follows a wave of cancellations across all forms of entertainment and sports, including several conventions like CinemaCon in Las Vegas, and Wondercon which takes place in Anaheim.
Old 04-17-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: 2020 San Diego Comic Con cancelled due to coronavirus

Just cancelled my room for July. I was only going two days this year. Over the years, the show has worn me out. I did my last big blow out last year for the 50th and planned to wind down. But not to this degree!
Old 04-17-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Meanwhile, Anime Expo in LA which is like the week before is still not cancelled. I think for some of these conventions they need to wait until the city cancels so they can collect on their insurance or something.
Old 04-17-20, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I imagine other cons will follow suit and cancel. I'm expecting any day now for Heroescon to announce their cancellation. It's expected. Besides the fact that people at these cons are shoulder to shoulder in crammed buildings, they also touch the same back issues and other collectibles. I doubt vendors will be cleaning and wiping their stuff all the time, plus comic books and cleaners don't mesh well.
Old 04-17-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

A movie pundit who I follow goes to SDCC every year and he says that he's gotten sick on a few occasions from being around so many people. So I get that a potentially deadly respiratory illness still floating around is a big red flag for putting something like this on.
Old 04-17-20, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Con crud. It sucks.
Old 04-17-20, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
A movie pundit who I follow goes to SDCC every year and he says that he's gotten sick on a few occasions from being around so many people. So I get that a potentially deadly respiratory illness still floating around is a big red flag for putting something like this on.
A lot of the comic book creators get every year what they call the con crud. Basically is a really bad cold that seems to never go away. Most of them are shaking hands with fans all day long for the entire weekend, so it's pretty easy to get infected with that. Imagine with something easier to transmit like the coronavirus. It's a nightmare scenario for everyone.

I won't be surprised if there are no cons this year at all. Creators and celebrities dont' want to go and risk getting infected and infecting others. I guess many vendors feel the same. There is no con without creators, vendors and/or celebs.
Old 04-17-20, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not only that, people come from all over the nation and even abroad. Even if CA wasn't a hotbed, how many of the guests who aren't local would even be able to come, let alone willing?
Old 04-17-20, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Yup Con Crud was the term that I couldn't think of.
Old 05-04-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I just hope this shit doesn't cancel next years events.
SDCC is like Summer camp for me and I'm sure for others. Has been for me since late '80s
Gonna be weird not being there this year as I have been going every year without missing for decades
Old 05-04-20, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VHS?
I just hope this shit doesn't cancel next years events.
SDCC is like Summer camp for me and I'm sure for others. Has been for me since late '80s
Gonna be weird not being there this year as I have been going every year without missing for decades
As long as there isn't a vaccine, people aren't going to risk going to cons, which are already petri dishes for many other things like flu, crud, colds. Like I've said before, 99% of the creators aren't going. Same with 99% of the celebrities. I guess that 1% that would go out and maybe participate includes Kevin Sorbo, Dean Cain, Kristy Swanson and Ethan Van Sciver. Maybe Chuck Dixon. If all of them want to go, good for them. I'm pretty sure most con organizers aren't going to run a show with this lineup.
Old 05-08-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

San Diego Comic Con will happen virtually

Old 05-11-20, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
As long as there isn't a vaccine, people aren't going to risk going to cons, which are already petri dishes for many other things like flu, crud, colds. Like I've said before, 99% of the creators aren't going. Same with 99% of the celebrities. I guess that 1% that would go out and maybe participate includes Kevin Sorbo, Dean Cain, Kristy Swanson and Ethan Van Sciver. Maybe Chuck Dixon. If all of them want to go, good for them. I'm pretty sure most con organizers aren't going to run a show with this lineup.
I would love a Chuck Dixon sig tho
Old 06-10-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

You can all go to SDCC even though you don't live in California for free virtually

The following users liked this post:
Red Hood (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You can all go to SDCC even though you don't live in California for free virtually

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/s...681032704?s=20
I guess it's better than nothing, but it's basically going to be like an tv interview show and infomercial. Not quite the same vibe as going to an actual con and meeting, and crowd watching, and buying collectibles.
Old 06-11-20, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll make sure to have a full hamper of smelly clothes ready on the 22nd, for that true con ambience.
Old 06-16-20, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't forget to have someone in the house, come randomly shoulder bump you for the true experience
Maybe even gather some cheap freebies to throw your direction!

This years Entertainment Earth exclusives weren't that great and seem to be higher than they would be at the con. Curious who else other than Funko, will jump in. Not heard anything from NECA, Mattel or Hasbro yet.
Old 02-11-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Wonder Con 2021, which is basically the little brother to San Diego Comic Con was just cancelled for the 2nd straight year

It's going to be held as a 2 day virtual con due to lack of finances. It's fully expected that San Diego Comic Con will be cancelled as well. Nothing official yet.
Old 02-11-21, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah, I don't think Comic Cons will be back until 2022 at the earliest.

Pandemic aside, there's so much planning, preparation, and coordination that go into them that I don't think they would want to start looking at one they "might" be able to put on this year.

And since most of this stuff is Hollywood-related (and not comic related), the film industry is still in a holding pattern, so they won't have much to present, though the tv stuff seems to be going full steam ahead at this moment.
Old 02-12-21, 06:41 AM
Banned

Like I've said before, almost no creators and celebrities want to be at any convention right now. It would be foolish to run one as they are basically superspreader events. In December, some imbecile decided to run the Charlotte Mini-Con and then many dealers and people who attended the event ended up with Covid. Cons shouldn't return till 2022 and everyone has been vaccinated.
Old 02-13-21, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Anime cons have all been canceled as well and many of them are on the verge of bankruptcy.
Old 02-15-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm expecting the local smaller con I go to every year to be canceled again as well. On the last day of the one I attended in 2019, I bought discounted tickets to the 2020 one. That got canceled, so the tickets were to be held for 2021. I assume they'll be held for a 2022 event, but haven't heard anything.
Old 02-15-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anime cons have all been canceled as well and many of them are on the verge of bankruptcy.
Yeah, my kids are bummed about Anime Expo last year (really they just want to go look at the merch though). But they understand.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-31-21)
Old 02-16-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Our area always had a healthy amount of regular comic/toy/anime etc. shows (at some of which I would set up a table to sell my crap). I wonder how many of those organizations will survive until 2022 or whenever conventions can start up again. It's really sad.
Old 02-16-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
Our area always had a healthy amount of regular comic/toy/anime etc. shows (at some of which I would set up a table to sell my crap). I wonder how many of those organizations will survive until 2022 or whenever conventions can start up again. It's really sad.
I am kind of shocked that any of the smaller comic shops survived.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.