DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Deathstroke: The Terminator (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/649721-deathstroke-terminator.html)

B5Erik 01-26-20 12:47 PM

Deathstroke: The Terminator

After having picked up the first three New Teen Titans omnibuses (omnibi?), I really liked the Deathstroke character, so when I ran across the TPB of the first Deathstroke The Terminator set (from 1990-91) by Marv Wolfman and Steve Erwin I picked it up to check it out.

And, wow, what a great comic it was! I really missed the boat on that one back in the early 90's. The writing and art were both top notch, and the character development was really good! And I just love Slade Wilson - he is a great character!

So then I picked up the next 4 TPB collections, and they're all really good. That was definitely one of the best comics of the early 90's, and it holds up amazingly well.

Switching to Masterworks, Omnibuses, and TBP's from individual issues has been a great way for me to really collect some titles that I missed out on the first time, and this one is one of the ones I'm happiest about when it comes to a, "New," discovery.

Highly recommended.

(Assassins, Sympathy For The Devil, Nuclear Winter, Crash Or Burn, and World Tour.)

ddrknghtrtns 01-26-20 01:07 PM

Re: Deathstroke: The Terminator

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13677189)
After having picked up the first three New Teen Titans omnibuses (omnibi?), I really liked the Deathstroke character, so when I ran across the TPB of the first Deathstroke The Terminator set (from 1990-91) by Marv Wolfman and Steve Erwin I picked it up to check it out.

And, wow, what a great comic it was! I really missed the boat on that one back in the early 90's. The writing and art were both top notch, and the character development was really good! And I just love Slade Wilson - he is a great character!

So then I picked up the next 4 TPB collections, and they're all really good. That was definitely one of the best comics of the early 90's, and it holds up amazingly well.

Switching to Masterworks, Omnibuses, and TBP's from individual issues has been a great way for me to really collect some titles that I missed out on the first time, and this one is one of the ones I'm happiest about when it comes to a, "New," discovery.

Highly recommended.

(Assassins, Sympathy For The Devil, Nuclear Winter, Crash Or Burn, and World Tour.)

He got overtaken in popularity by Liefeld's carbon knockoff. But to be fair, always felt that Deathstroke was very similar to Deadshot.

B5Erik 01-26-20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13677193)
He got overtaken in popularity by Liefeld's carbon knockoff. But to be fair, always felt that Deathstroke was very similar to Deadshot.

Maybe, but the Slade Wilson character was really well developed and his backstory was fantastic (and very different, I'm sure, from that of Deadshot).

Marv Wolfman really did a great job with Deathstroke.

B5Erik 01-26-20 02:44 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....IL._SY500_.jpg

majorjoe23 01-26-20 05:02 PM

I don’t think I could support a comic where the main character is a rapist.

B5Erik 01-26-20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13677461)

And that's part of why he was a villain at that point.

At best he was an anti-hero, not someone to be idolized or emulated, but he was a great, well rounded character.

ddrknghtrtns 01-26-20 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13677461)

You talking about the Terra controversy?

B5Erik 01-26-20 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13677483)

Yes and no. It's something between him and me and another topic on another subforum.

But, yeah, Slade sleeping with a 16 year old Terra was a pretty skeevy thing to do...

Christopher J. Priest said:

Not only was Marv’s Deathstroke a villain, he was also kind of an asshole, which I thought was unique. He wasn’t some misunderstood anarchist; he deliberately did skeevy things - most notably sleeping with Terra, a presumably underage girl - in his quest to exact revenge against his enemies. I read that and went, “Whoa". This was beyond The Joker, well beyond Lex Luthor. Marv created the first modern supervillain. He broke every rule by making Deathstroke three-dimensional and giving him internal conflicts while maintaining a level of skeeve we weren’t used to seeing from a typical 2-dimensional bad guy.
Of course, the character grew from there, but he was a really well thought out character with a ton of backstory and personality traits. He was very complex.

majorjoe23 01-26-20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13677483)

Yeah, she was 15.

B5Erik 01-28-20 01:56 AM

Steve Erwin's art was really good, but his last credit was from 1996. I wonder why he stopped drawing comics - he was a first rate artist.

I'm halfway through volume 5 (World Tour), and it is as good as the rest. I wish they'd release a 6th volume (even though Erwin was no longer on the title by that point). There are enough issues to fill out at least one more TPB.

Hokeyboy 01-28-20 03:32 PM

I always loved Slade Wilson since I first started reading New Teen Titans in 1981. Marv Wolfman created an amazing mercenary character, with more depth and nuance you'd see in typical "villains" of the time. And I love the look George Perez came up with; chainmail, buccaneer boots, the blue and orange scheme. It just worked.

I also enjoyed the 1991 series but it became so popular, DC turned him into an "anti-hero" and the next thing you know, he was teaming up with heroes in all sorts of crossovers of the day.

When Identity Crisis dropped in, what was it, '03 or '04, it was so damn cool to see him take his place at or near the top of the villain pantheon, as he took on several members of the JLA at once. Successfully. Including the Flash.

B5Erik 01-30-20 01:37 PM

I just read this issue. It was the conclusion to his World Tour storyline. That was a great story. I wasn't real big on the sideways formatting for the art in this issue, though...

https://i.redd.it/nrfb49831wgy.jpg

The Valeyard 02-01-20 03:37 PM

I always thought it was awesome that they included Deathstroke in the X-Men Teen Titans crossover. I remember when this issue came out, I was in Jr. High and all my friends were going nuts over the Slade vs Wolverine panels.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b13b0215e7.jpg

B5Erik 05-17-20 12:34 PM

I really wish that DC would put out Volume 6 of the Deathstroke TPB series. I loved the first 5.

Josh-da-man 05-17-20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13678666)
I also enjoyed the 1991 series but it became so popular, DC turned him into an "anti-hero" and the next thing you know, he was teaming up with heroes in all sorts of crossovers of the day.

It's pretty obvious that when DC gave Deathstroke his own series in 1991 that they were trying to make him into their version of The Punisher, much like they were trying to make Lobo into DC's Wolverine.

Josh-da-man 05-17-20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13677193)
He got overtaken in popularity by Liefeld's carbon knockoff.

I never thought of Deadpool as being a knock-off of Deathstroke; the "Merc with a Mouth" always struck me as being more of "dark" Spider-Man than anything else.

PhantomStranger 05-18-20 05:21 PM

I'm fairly sure that Liefeld admitted thinking about Deathstroke when coming up with Deadpool. Deadpool only became popular when later writers decided to turn him into a darker Spider-Man-like quipster.

B5Erik 05-18-20 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13743407)
I'm fairly sure that Liefeld admitted thinking about Deathstroke when coming up with Deadpool. Deadpool only became popular when later writers decided to turn him into a darker Spider-Man-like quipster.

That's what I've read. Several times.

Red Hood 05-18-20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13680849)
I always thought it was awesome that they included Deathstroke in the X-Men Teen Titans crossover. I remember when this issue came out, I was in Jr. High and all my friends were going nuts over the Slade vs Wolverine panels.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b13b0215e7.jpg

I loved this. That crossover was one of the best done at that time. All of them were fun but the X-Men coming in on the rails of the Dark Phoenix Saga, made this crossover a little more important/serious/fun.

I didn't know this until recently but Claremont trolled Wolvman, Perez and DC by doing a character in Spider-Woman #39 called Death Stroke who had Terminators as his henchmen