Reload this Page >

Marvel is introducing a new take on a well known character

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 09-19-19, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 169 Posts

Major spoilers, I don't want to ruin it for the folks who may not know, so I am going to put it in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
Marvel is introducing a new Spider-Man.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/09...ms-ben-parker/
Old 09-19-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts
Re: Marvel is introducing a new take on a well known character

While I applaud the idea of trying to do new things, this alternate universe idea has been beaten to death. And some of the choices the Abrams's have made are not great - just done for shock value.

This is why I've had such a hard time with modern comics, and why I'm focused 98% on getting TPB and HC collections of classic 60's - 90's comics. They were more fun/entertaining to read and didn't take themselves quite as seriously. And there was a more consistent logic and reality to that world.
Old 09-19-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
While I applaud the idea of trying to do new things, this alternate universe idea has been beaten to death. And some of the choices the Abrams's have made are not great - just done for shock value.

This is why I've had such a hard time with modern comics, and why I'm focused 98% on getting TPB and HC collections of classic 60's - 90's comics. They were more fun/entertaining to read and didn't take themselves quite as seriously. And there was a more consistent logic and reality to that world.
So basically Mayday Parker except in a less goofy universe? I don't see it as being a big deal besides the Abrams being attached to it. I do think that we tend to look at older comics and think there was more consistent logic, but really there were just less comics to contradict each other and writers made stuff up all the time that directly contradicted what happened before.
Old 09-19-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So basically Mayday Parker except in a less goofy universe? I don't see it as being a big deal besides the Abrams being attached to it. I do think that we tend to look at older comics and think there was more consistent logic, but really there were just less comics to contradict each other and writers made stuff up all the time that directly contradicted what happened before.
Except that Stan, while he was still involved in Marvel, had certain storylines that he said could not be altered or retconned. The next few Editors In Chief followed those edicts and kept as much continuity as possible.

In this century it's been all over the place, with writers taking their cues from the 1990's Clone Saga (basically, nothing is sacred, no big stories from the past are written in stone, no matter how important they may have been). That's led to chaos and confusion as to which reality which story takes place in, and did the stuff that you read 20, 30 years ago really happen or not?

That kind of thing turns me off from modern comics, as does the storytelling style. Comics aren't nearly as much fun as they used to be.
Old 09-19-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

This book will be in the dollar bins by next year.
Old 09-19-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Peter will even be missing a limb in this alternate universe, just like in the one with Spidergirl except it will be his arm instead of his leg.
Old 09-19-19, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Read it yesterday and found it cliche all the way through.

Spoiler:

-Major female character dies (Mary Jane)
- Leaves a son
- Son becomes a rebellious teen
- Son and dad don't get along even though they are very similar
-Dad puts work over son and relationship
-Original superhero looks beat to shit and lost a limb
-Magical wisewoman guides the way
-Old villain still swirling around plotting comeback

Everything in the book has been done before and better. I really wanted to give this book a chance but man it was truly disappointing. If you guys want to read a fun, although hearbreaking alternate take on Spidey, read Spider-Man: Life Story by Chip Zdarsky. This version is one in which all characters aged in real-time. It's really worth reading.
Old 09-22-19, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

I'm vaguely interested in the idea but I loathe all this alternate universe stuff. If the character is popular, we know he'll get shifted to the main universe somehow.
Old 09-22-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm vaguely interested in the idea but I loathe all this alternate universe stuff. If the character is popular, we know he'll get shifted to the main universe somehow.
Is Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider in the main universe permanently now, or is she still separate?
Old 09-22-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 842 Likes on 709 Posts

Is Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider in the main universe permanently now, or is she still separate?
Not sure, honestly. Spider-Gwen seems to have crossed over to the mainstream outside comics and her popularity in other mediums will likely dictate she get permanently added to 616.
Old 09-23-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I read in a recent comic, Gwen is transporting herself from her dimension, to the 616 dimension to attend college. In her world, she outed herself and can't really go anywhere without being mobbed. So now she, with the help of Peter Parker, enrolled into college in the 616 universe. At least, that's what I understood.
Old 09-23-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Neitzl
From what I read in a recent comic, Gwen is transporting herself from her dimension, to the 616 dimension to attend college. In her world, she outed herself and can't really go anywhere without being mobbed. So now she, with the help of Peter Parker, enrolled into college in the 616 universe. At least, that's what I understood.
Not knowing anything about the story, that seems weird. Like isn't the basic tenet of being a Spider-hero that you have responsibility, and she's just going to ditch her universe to come to one that already has a dozen spider heroes and all kinds of other heroes? Also, unless she changes her look (which I find unlikely) or goes far away, aren't there going to be a ton of people who recognize her (even though she's way younger than she should be)?
Old 09-24-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh, she's not staying permanently, she's doing it just for classes, then back she goes. At least that's what I understood.
Old 09-24-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Not knowing anything about the story, that seems weird. Like isn't the basic tenet of being a Spider-hero that you have responsibility, and she's just going to ditch her universe to come to one that already has a dozen spider heroes and all kinds of other heroes? Also, unless she changes her look (which I find unlikely) or goes far away, aren't there going to be a ton of people who recognize her (even though she's way younger than she should be)?
I would guess if she came into contact with people that knew the 616 Gwen, they would just say "Oh Wow!! You look just like someone I knew who died years ago", unless she is using the name "Gwen Stacy" while she is in the 616 universe.