Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC shuts down Vertigo, Ink & Zoom imprints

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
DC shuts down Vertigo, Ink & Zoom imprints

DC Comics announced today that Vertigo, DC Ink and DC Zoom labels were shutting down and that now everything is consolidated in 3 branches:
DC Comics
DC Black Label - Mature audience titles
DC Kids - All kids titles

This is all part of the new corporate takeover from AT&T and the new leader from Global Branding, the department in which DC Comics has been relegated to. No mention of where the Young Animals imprint will fall and even though Black Label is the adult oriented label, it will be still heavily watched over by corporate, thus we won't see anymore Bat-Penises in the near future. Former Vertigo books and mature titles like Watchmen, will fall under the Black Label banner.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/21/1...ds-black-label
Old 06-21-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: DC shuts down Vertigo, Ink & Zoom imprints

The next question is, which company will stop making new comics first, Disney or AT&T?
Old 06-21-19, 10:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The next question is, which company will stop making new comics first, Disney or AT&T?
I don't think either. Both Marvel and DC serve their masters by providing cost effective source material for films and TV. As long as this keeps happening, both companies will keep making new comics. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T/WB licensed their DC properties to a third party for publishing new comic books. According to Jim Shooter, in one of these changes inside WB, DC approached him to either sell or license the DC characters. The idiot running Marvel at the time rejected the offer, and that's why it didn't happen.
Old 06-22-19, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I don't think either. Both Marvel and DC serve their masters by providing cost effective source material for films and TV. As long as this keeps happening, both companies will keep making new comics. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T/WB licensed their DC properties to a third party for publishing new comic books. According to Jim Shooter, in one of these changes inside WB, DC approached him to either sell or license the DC characters. The idiot running Marvel at the time rejected the offer, and that's why it didn't happen.
I think Shooter said that Marvel was being sued by First Comics for being a monopoly due to their market share. Acquiring DC and launching a separate, streamlined DC line wouldn't have made that look any better so they decided to pass.

I wouldn't expect either publisher to go anywhere, but I can see a shift to more digital and even more emphasis on trades/hardcovers in the next 10 years.
Old 06-22-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all. cant remember the last time I read anything vertigo. And Dido (for once) makes a good point:

To justify the change Publisher Dan DiDio was quoted as saying ‘we’re returning to a singular presentation of the DC brand that was present throughout most of our history until 1993 when we launched Vertigo to provide an outlet for edgier material. That kind of material is now mainstream across all genres, so we thought it was the right time to bring greater clarity to the DC brand and reinforce our commitment to storytelling for all of our fans in every age group. This new system will replace the age ratings we currently use on our material.
Old 06-22-19, 10:42 AM
Banned

Like it or not, the Vertigo imprint was still having an impact in mainstream. The Kitchen by Ming Doyle is being released as a movie this summer. Y: The Last Man just found another showrunner and is coming to FX. Sandman still in development. Yes, Image had taken a chunk of Vertigo's power by giving creators better terms, but Vertigo still is a brand name, more than Black Label, which is associated more to Johnny Walker. Karen Berger should have been brought back to DC to oversee Vertigo and jumpstart it. And Didio is half right. Edgier material is mainstream across genres, but only for some superhero books. And right now, the 2 moments that they have tried to go edgier (Bat-Penis, Second Coming), AT&T/WB standards and practices have gotten in the way and changed things. At the end, this is the main problem. AT&T is treating DC like AOL treated WCW back in the day. This shit will sink DC fast if they continue.
Old 06-22-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Surprises me they’d shut down Vertigo. That brand still seemed to have a lot of notoriety to it.
Old 06-22-19, 08:25 PM
Banned

Another reason of why DC and Marvel won't stop doing new comics anytime soon is for rights reasons. There are many characters in both companies which would have their rights reverted to the original creators if new material isn't published. Wonder Woman is one of those characters and the reason why she's always had her self-titled comic book
Old 06-22-19, 09:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I think they actually paid their way out of that deal with WW creator’s family a few years ago.
Old 06-22-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

They have to keep using some characters every ten years or so to retain trademark rights in certain cases. That is why you'll get cycles of random older characters popping up again after sitting on the shelf for years and years.

As for Vertigo, it hasn't been Vertigo for awhile now. Once Karen Berger left a few years ago, I figured the line would flounder. If the new reorganization doesn't work that well, they can always bring Vertigo back.
Old 06-26-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I still consider Vertigo a good brand, but honestly I haven’t read much of it since Y the Last Man, and I missed its heyday so I’m mostly going on reputation.
Old 06-26-19, 07:05 PM
Banned

The last Vertigo book that had a buzz was Border Town and that was cancelled when one of the creators was found to be a serial sexual harasser at cons and other places
Old 06-27-19, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Hill House Comics is coming to DC Black Label.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-joe-hill-horr...cs-hill-house/
Old 06-27-19, 09:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Black Label needs something decent to get some footing, and Joe Hill’s comics are all top notch so far imo.