Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Wife & I opened a comic book store!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!

I have a friend who won big on Jeopardy, quit his job, and bought a small independent bookstore. He does all the buying and works the register and stuff but also hires workers to cover the rest of the shifts.
Old 04-09-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It is sort of weird. Stuff based on comic book properties are red hot and probably more mainstream than ever before... not only cinematic universes and the Big 2 superhero stuff, but Walking Dead, Deadly Class, etc. But it's so mainstream that stores like Target and Hot Topic and Gamestop (and RIP TRU) have a ton of things that would have been the domain of the comic book store. I'm sure amazon sells a ton of graphic novels. But the lowly comic book is still super super niche. I'm pretty sure trading card games saved a lot of comic book stores from closing down.
I've always thought that comic companies or maybe comic book stores should be setting up pop up shops outside of movie theaters, particularly those in malls, selling comics and merch based on the currently playing comic film.
Old 04-09-19, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
I've always thought that comic companies or maybe comic book stores should be setting up pop up shops outside of movie theaters, particularly those in malls, selling comics and merch based on the currently playing comic film.
Our 2 local shops have been doing that for years, setting up on Thurs/Fri nights for premiers.
Old 04-11-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I've always been surprised that Marvel and DC don't have direct retail locations for their product at least in New York and L.A. You build the store as a tourist trap, not as a profit center. This is less important now for Marvel since the movies sell the characters without much help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. It's better than throwing money away on comic book commercials (I'm looking at you, DC).

There are good reasons why the comic book market's growth has stagnated under their dominance. Neither company have had good business people making decisions outside of the actual comic books.
Old 04-11-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've always been surprised that Marvel and DC don't have direct retail locations for their product at least in New York and L.A. You build the store as a tourist trap, not as a profit center. This is less important now for Marvel since the movies sell the characters without much help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. It's better than throwing money away on comic book commercials (I'm looking at you, DC).

There are good reasons why the comic book market's growth has stagnated under their dominance. Neither company have had good business people making decisions outside of the actual comic books.
All too true. I haven't been to Universal Studios in Orlando but on a trip to Disney in October I was pretty surprised to see such a tiny Marvel presence on Disney properties down there. There was one small Marvel-focused shop in Disney Springs with a poor selection of merchandise that centered on young children's clothes and toys. There was a Star Wars themed shop that had a good selection of Marvel Star Wars comics but their superheroes were woefully represented.
Old 04-11-19, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

All too true. I haven't been to Universal Studios in Orlando but on a trip to Disney in October I was pretty surprised to see such a tiny Marvel presence on Disney properties down there. There was one small Marvel-focused shop in Disney Springs with a poor selection of merchandise that centered on young children's clothes and toys. There was a Star Wars themed shop that had a good selection of Marvel Star Wars comics but their superheroes were woefully represented.
Universal Studios has a comic book store in their Marvel Super Hero Island at Island of Adventure. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road more Disney Stores convert to Marvel stores as the Marvel sections of the current stores have boosted the retailer at malls.
Old 04-11-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I think part of that is whatever deal Marvel had previously with Universal theme parks and the whole "East of the Mississippi" thing. They can't even use the word "Marvel" in their parks.

But I'm not even sure what Disney thinks about their comics division. They don't even have Marvel publish Disney comics, and I don't even remember seeing any Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck comics in the parks or the mall stores either.
Old 04-11-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone been to Neal Adams' comic book store in Burbank? I'm a big fan but I don't think I would buy anything from him these days.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...medium=ios_app
Old 04-12-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
Has anyone been to Neal Adams' comic book store in Burbank? I'm a big fan but I don't think I would buy anything from him these days.

A guy from another forum wasn't going to be around for the grand opening but he was in the area a couple of days before and decided to just to peek through the window. As he approached, the door opened and he an his wife were invited in. Neal was behind the counter and he had the opportunity to chat with him for a while. Sounded like a nice experience.

May I ask what you mean by "I wouldn't buy anything from him these days"? Do you mean you wouldn't buy his current work or if you're taking a stance against him/won't give your money to him for any products from his store. You've got me wondering if Adams has done something objectionable that I'm not aware of.
Old 04-12-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

A guy from another forum wasn't going to be around for the grand opening but he was in the area a couple of days before and decided to just to peek through the window. As he approached, the door opened and he an his wife were invited in. Neal was behind the counter and he had the opportunity to chat with him for a while. Sounded like a nice experience.

May I ask what you mean by "I wouldn't buy anything from him these days"? Do you mean you wouldn't buy his current work or if you're taking a stance against him/won't give your money to him for any products from his store. You've got me wondering if Adams has done something objectionable that I'm not aware of.
Not speaking for MrHan, but Adams is very aggressive at cons these days. He has a huge obnoxious booth selling overpriced prints, and there have been reports of him yelling at people if they dont buy something.
Old 04-12-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost went to the re-opening in Burbank last weekend, but didn't want to spend an hour and half in traffic to get there. Why wouldn't you buy anything from him these days?
Old 04-12-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I have been seeing Neal at conventions for decades. I know artist/writers have to make money and charging for their autograph is no big deal. It's just that I use to go up to Neal and he would sign books and give out sketches for free. I got tons of that stuff. No way I'm paying now.

I've never seen him being an asshole or anything that was described above. So, I have no comment on that.
Old 04-15-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Well, I have been seeing Neal at conventions for decades. I know artist/writers have to make money and charging for their autograph is no big deal. It's just that I use to go up to Neal and he would sign books and give out sketches for free. I got tons of that stuff. No way I'm paying now.
That how may artists/writers now subsidize their income. Just because it was free in the past doesn't mean they can economically do it free in today's market. And it's because of the increase in fandom. I don't blame them for getting their piece of a pie when cons start charging a lot for their table space. These guys don't get appearance fees anymore unlike the higher profile tv/movie actors/actresses do on top of what they make with photo ops and signings.
Old 04-19-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I always see Neal Adams at Baltimore Comic Con every year but what I've never seen is a line at his table. I guess most people know of his reputation of overcharging for his autograph so they never go near his table.
Just checked my pics from last year and he does have a fairly large booth space that he gets:

Old 04-20-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Not speaking for MrHan, but Adams is very aggressive at cons these days. He has a huge obnoxious booth selling overpriced prints, and there have been reports of him yelling at people if they dont buy something.
I've only met him once and he seemed ok. His wife was a bit snobby though. I've never bought any prints from him as they are way over priced and I could pay half that to a lesser known talent whose prints look just as nice if not better. I had considered getting him to sign my Captain America shield that I've had signed by lots of classic comic artists and writers. But for $50, i decided to do without it. If he can sell his prints and autograpghs at his high prices, more power to him. It is capitalism. He may sell a lot more and make more profit if his prices were more in line with other artists, but he's been doing this for a number of years now and I guess it works for him.
Old 04-21-19, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
I always see Neal Adams at Baltimore Comic Con every year but what I've never seen is a line at his table. I guess most people know of his reputation of overcharging for his autograph so they never go near his table.
Just checked my pics from last year and he does have a fairly large booth space that he gets:

Looks like Spinal Tap doing an in-store record signing.
Old 05-09-20, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I tried to check the site and the link seems dead. Has the store closed its doors?
Old 05-10-20, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I tried to check the site and the link seems dead. Has the store closed its doors?
If you Google their site, you get links to their entire social media presence on Twitter and the like. Nothing has seemingly been used since April...of 2019. That doesn't look good.
Old 05-10-20, 06:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

He sort of posted the opening and then disappeared from here as well. A DVDTalker, or just spam?