DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Wife & I opened a comic book store! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/647205-wife-i-opened-comic-book-store.html)

davidh777 04-09-19 12:48 AM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!

I have a friend who won big on Jeopardy, quit his job, and bought a small independent bookstore. He does all the buying and works the register and stuff but also hires workers to cover the rest of the shifts.

ytrez 04-09-19 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13527430)
It is sort of weird. Stuff based on comic book properties are red hot and probably more mainstream than ever before... not only cinematic universes and the Big 2 superhero stuff, but Walking Dead, Deadly Class, etc. But it's so mainstream that stores like Target and Hot Topic and Gamestop (and RIP TRU) have a ton of things that would have been the domain of the comic book store. I'm sure amazon sells a ton of graphic novels. But the lowly comic book is still super super niche. I'm pretty sure trading card games saved a lot of comic book stores from closing down.

I've always thought that comic companies or maybe comic book stores should be setting up pop up shops outside of movie theaters, particularly those in malls, selling comics and merch based on the currently playing comic film.

stingermck 04-09-19 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 13530219)
I've always thought that comic companies or maybe comic book stores should be setting up pop up shops outside of movie theaters, particularly those in malls, selling comics and merch based on the currently playing comic film.

Our 2 local shops have been doing that for years, setting up on Thurs/Fri nights for premiers.

PhantomStranger 04-11-19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 13530219)

I've always been surprised that Marvel and DC don't have direct retail locations for their product at least in New York and L.A. You build the store as a tourist trap, not as a profit center. This is less important now for Marvel since the movies sell the characters without much help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. It's better than throwing money away on comic book commercials (I'm looking at you, DC).

There are good reasons why the comic book market's growth has stagnated under their dominance. Neither company have had good business people making decisions outside of the actual comic books.

ytrez 04-11-19 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13531330)
I've always been surprised that Marvel and DC don't have direct retail locations for their product at least in New York and L.A. You build the store as a tourist trap, not as a profit center. This is less important now for Marvel since the movies sell the characters without much help, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. It's better than throwing money away on comic book commercials (I'm looking at you, DC).

There are good reasons why the comic book market's growth has stagnated under their dominance. Neither company have had good business people making decisions outside of the actual comic books.

All too true. I haven't been to Universal Studios in Orlando but on a trip to Disney in October I was pretty surprised to see such a tiny Marvel presence on Disney properties down there. There was one small Marvel-focused shop in Disney Springs with a poor selection of merchandise that centered on young children's clothes and toys. There was a Star Wars themed shop that had a good selection of Marvel Star Wars comics but their superheroes were woefully represented.

Red Hood 04-11-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 13531385)
All too true. I haven't been to Universal Studios in Orlando but on a trip to Disney in October I was pretty surprised to see such a tiny Marvel presence on Disney properties down there. There was one small Marvel-focused shop in Disney Springs with a poor selection of merchandise that centered on young children's clothes and toys. There was a Star Wars themed shop that had a good selection of Marvel Star Wars comics but their superheroes were woefully represented.

Universal Studios has a comic book store in their Marvel Super Hero Island at Island of Adventure. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road more Disney Stores convert to Marvel stores as the Marvel sections of the current stores have boosted the retailer at malls.

fujishig 04-11-19 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 13531385)

I think part of that is whatever deal Marvel had previously with Universal theme parks and the whole "East of the Mississippi" thing. They can't even use the word "Marvel" in their parks.

But I'm not even sure what Disney thinks about their comics division. They don't even have Marvel publish Disney comics, and I don't even remember seeing any Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck comics in the parks or the mall stores either.

mrhan 04-11-19 09:08 PM

Has anyone been to Neal Adams' comic book store in Burbank? I'm a big fan but I don't think I would buy anything from him these days.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...medium=ios_app

ytrez 04-12-19 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13531874)
Has anyone been to Neal Adams' comic book store in Burbank? I'm a big fan but I don't think I would buy anything from him these days.

A guy from another forum wasn't going to be around for the grand opening but he was in the area a couple of days before and decided to just to peek through the window. As he approached, the door opened and he an his wife were invited in. Neal was behind the counter and he had the opportunity to chat with him for a while. Sounded like a nice experience.

May I ask what you mean by "I wouldn't buy anything from him these days"? Do you mean you wouldn't buy his current work or if you're taking a stance against him/won't give your money to him for any products from his store. You've got me wondering if Adams has done something objectionable that I'm not aware of.

stingermck 04-12-19 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 13531990)
A guy from another forum wasn't going to be around for the grand opening but he was in the area a couple of days before and decided to just to peek through the window. As he approached, the door opened and he an his wife were invited in. Neal was behind the counter and he had the opportunity to chat with him for a while. Sounded like a nice experience.

May I ask what you mean by "I wouldn't buy anything from him these days"? Do you mean you wouldn't buy his current work or if you're taking a stance against him/won't give your money to him for any products from his store. You've got me wondering if Adams has done something objectionable that I'm not aware of.

Not speaking for MrHan, but Adams is very aggressive at cons these days. He has a huge obnoxious booth selling overpriced prints, and there have been reports of him yelling at people if they dont buy something.

TimeandTide 04-12-19 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13531874)

I almost went to the re-opening in Burbank last weekend, but didn't want to spend an hour and half in traffic to get there. Why wouldn't you buy anything from him these days?

mrhan 04-12-19 10:33 AM

Well, I have been seeing Neal at conventions for decades. I know artist/writers have to make money and charging for their autograph is no big deal. It's just that I use to go up to Neal and he would sign books and give out sketches for free. I got tons of that stuff. No way I'm paying now. :lol:

I've never seen him being an asshole or anything that was described above. So, I have no comment on that.

devilshalo 04-15-19 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13532075)
Well, I have been seeing Neal at conventions for decades. I know artist/writers have to make money and charging for their autograph is no big deal. It's just that I use to go up to Neal and he would sign books and give out sketches for free. I got tons of that stuff. No way I'm paying now. :lol:

That how may artists/writers now subsidize their income. Just because it was free in the past doesn't mean they can economically do it free in today's market. And it's because of the increase in fandom. I don't blame them for getting their piece of a pie when cons start charging a lot for their table space. These guys don't get appearance fees anymore unlike the higher profile tv/movie actors/actresses do on top of what they make with photo ops and signings.

sinned 04-19-19 07:39 PM

I always see Neal Adams at Baltimore Comic Con every year but what I've never seen is a line at his table. I guess most people know of his reputation of overcharging for his autograph so they never go near his table.
Just checked my pics from last year and he does have a fairly large booth space that he gets:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...04e5c9959a.jpg

movieguru 04-20-19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13532015)
Not speaking for MrHan, but Adams is very aggressive at cons these days. He has a huge obnoxious booth selling overpriced prints, and there have been reports of him yelling at people if they dont buy something.

I've only met him once and he seemed ok. His wife was a bit snobby though. I've never bought any prints from him as they are way over priced and I could pay half that to a lesser known talent whose prints look just as nice if not better. I had considered getting him to sign my Captain America shield that I've had signed by lots of classic comic artists and writers. But for $50, i decided to do without it. If he can sell his prints and autograpghs at his high prices, more power to him. It is capitalism. He may sell a lot more and make more profit if his prices were more in line with other artists, but he's been doing this for a number of years now and I guess it works for him.

Josh-da-man 04-21-19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by sinned (Post 13536782)
I always see Neal Adams at Baltimore Comic Con every year but what I've never seen is a line at his table. I guess most people know of his reputation of overcharging for his autograph so they never go near his table.
Just checked my pics from last year and he does have a fairly large booth space that he gets:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...04e5c9959a.jpg

Looks like Spinal Tap doing an in-store record signing.

Red Hood 05-09-20 09:32 PM

I tried to check the site and the link seems dead. Has the store closed its doors?

PhantomStranger 05-10-20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13738784)
I tried to check the site and the link seems dead. Has the store closed its doors?

If you Google their site, you get links to their entire social media presence on Twitter and the like. Nothing has seemingly been used since April...of 2019. That doesn't look good.

Trevor 05-10-20 06:57 PM

He sort of posted the opening and then disappeared from here as well. A DVDTalker, or just spam?