DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Wife & I opened a comic book store! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/647205-wife-i-opened-comic-book-store.html)

ItsVenom 03-26-19 01:19 PM

Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
Hi! My Wife & I begin our journey of starting a dream of ours, opening our own comic book store! We are set to open next Friday, but we're going to offer online services also. To start off, we're giving away a free comic with every purchase. We'd appreciate it if you all checked us out! quikcomics com

PhantomStranger 03-26-19 02:52 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
I'll link it for you. Good luck in the business. No one goes into running a comic book store for the money, so we know you must have true passion for them. Most of the newer, less established shops in my area tend to survive by catering to manga, toy and gaming fans.

https://quikcomics.com/

DVD Josh 03-26-19 03:29 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
Might be helpful to put the address of your store on the main page :)

fujishig 03-26-19 03:52 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13523285)
Might be helpful to put the address of your store on the main page :)

I figured maybe he didn't have a store, that it was only online?

Assuming he's not just a spammer (and I'm very cautious about someone finding this forum and putting a url up for their store), welcome! Like PhantomStranger said, comic stores are that weird crossroads where you're not going to make a ton of money, at least up front, so a lot of it is doing it because you love comics, but you still need to be a savvy businessman to not lose your shirt. So good luck!

ItsVenom 03-29-19 09:19 AM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13523255)
I'll link it for you. Good luck in the business. No one goes into running a comic book store for the money, so we know you must have true passion for them. Most of the newer, less established shops in my area tend to survive by catering to manga, toy and gaming fans.

Very true! We're going to hit some other markets too for sure, it's hard to survive on comics alone

kefrank 03-29-19 05:37 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
Just FYI, I think this is technically forbidden. If you want to advertise your own business on the site, you have to pay Internet Brands for an ad. Maybe there are loopholes though.

Geofferson 04-03-19 12:00 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
Mod note: It's correct such that we do have general policy restricting personal advertisements and promotion. So if the intent of this thread is to self-promote, it'll be shut down.

However, this topic can also generate interesting discussion around comic book stores along with the current mechanisms of commerce for comic books.

As a result, we can persist with keeping this discussion open for now. Will check in periodically to gauge interest and participation.

davidh777 04-03-19 12:48 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
There’s been a lot of store talk in the Industry Rant thread. :shrug:

fujishig 04-03-19 02:36 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
It is sort of weird. Stuff based on comic book properties are red hot and probably more mainstream than ever before... not only cinematic universes and the Big 2 superhero stuff, but Walking Dead, Deadly Class, etc. But it's so mainstream that stores like Target and Hot Topic and Gamestop (and RIP TRU) have a ton of things that would have been the domain of the comic book store. I'm sure amazon sells a ton of graphic novels. But the lowly comic book is still super super niche. I'm pretty sure trading card games saved a lot of comic book stores from closing down.

PhantomStranger 04-03-19 04:01 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
"Nerd" culture has begun infiltrating mainstream retail outlets, cutting into items that were once the exclusive domain of comic book shops. I see comic book tshirts these days at virtually every big retailer. Target seems to have a perpetual section for them.

davidh777 04-03-19 04:05 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13527485)
"Nerd" culture has begun infiltrating mainstream retail outlets, cutting into items that were once the exclusive domain of comic book shops. I see comic book tshirts these days at virtually big retailer. Target seems to have a perpetual section for them.

Also, the Hot Topic stores at the mall.

fujishig 04-03-19 04:10 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13527485)
"Nerd" culture has begun infiltrating mainstream retail outlets, cutting into items that were once the exclusive domain of comic book shops. I see comic book tshirts these days at virtually big retailer. Target seems to have a perpetual section for them.


Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13527487)
Also, the Hot Topic stores at the mall.

Now I know for sure you guys put me on ignore because I just said that... :( :grumble:

PhantomStranger 04-03-19 04:17 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
I never ignore anyone.

davidh777 04-03-19 04:22 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
Missed that. Sorry, fuji! :lol:

TheBigDave 04-03-19 09:18 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13527430)
I'm pretty sure trading card games saved a lot of comic book stores from closing down.

About half my local comic book stores have converted into game shops. All products have been moved against the walls. The middle of the store is filled with folding tables and chairs for customers to play RPG/card games. Some of them even started selling beer for the players.

majorjoe23 04-04-19 06:47 AM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
Has anyone mentioned Hot Topic yet?

movieguru 04-08-19 01:13 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 13527702)
Has anyone mentioned Hot Topic yet?

No. What is a hot topic?

Obi-Wan Jabroni 04-08-19 01:21 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
I've always said that if I won the lottery or something, I'd love to open a comic shop just as a way to spend my days. Of course, I live in a state where you're not allowed to claim the jackpot anonymously, so if everyone knew that I was a multi-millionaire, opening a shop where people know I'm going to be there most of the time probably is a good way to get robbed.

Without some unexpected windfall of that sort though, I'm not comfortable tying my family's welfare to a dying industry.

Trevor 04-08-19 01:53 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
Yep, I’ve had that win-lottery-open-comic-shop thought forever. Of course, I pretty much refuse to participate in the tax-for-stupid-people, so another dead dream.

Obi-Wan Jabroni 04-08-19 02:29 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 
I'll drop a couple of bucks when the jackpots get ridiculously out of hand, but in general I don't buy too many lottery tickets either.

movieguru 04-08-19 03:12 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13529803)
I've always said that if I won the lottery or something, I'd love to open a comic shop just as a way to spend my days. Of course, I live in a state where you're not allowed to claim the jackpot anonymously, so if everyone knew that I was a multi-millionaire, opening a shop where people know I'm going to be there most of the time probably is a good way to get robbed.

Without some unexpected windfall of that sort though, I'm not comfortable tying my family's welfare to a dying industry.

While opening a comic book store may seem like a dream, it would eventually become a job just like any another and you would still have to show up for work, stock shelves, do paperwork, etc.

fujishig 04-08-19 03:14 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13529881)
While opening a comic book store may seem like a dream, it would eventually become a job just like any another and you would still have to show up for work, stock shelves, do paperwork, etc.

I'm assuming he won enough in the lottery to pay people to do that for him, and afford to lose money running the business as a hobby.

PhantomStranger 04-08-19 04:53 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13529881)
While opening a comic book store may seem like a dream, it would eventually become a job just like any another and you would still have to show up for work, stock shelves, do paperwork, etc.

I think part of the fantasy is hiring some underling to actually run the shop on a day-to-day basis. All I would want out of it is walk in on new comics day each week and absorb the milieu of eager readers.:lol:

movieguru 04-08-19 05:32 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13529883)
I'm assuming he won enough in the lottery to pay people to do that for him, and afford to lose money running the business as a hobby.

But then you're really just hanging out at a comicbook store and not really doing the things that one would want to do if they owned a comic book store. It would be like being rich and wanting to be president of the U.S. but then all you do is play golf all day and bitch about everything on twitter.

Obi-Wan Jabroni 04-08-19 10:08 PM

Re: Wife & I opened a comic book store!
 

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13529982)
But then you're really just hanging out at a comicbook store and not really doing the things that one would want to do if they owned a comic book store. It would be like being rich and wanting to be president of the U.S. but then all you do is play golf all day and bitch about everything on twitter.

I would stock shelves and stuff like that, but you really only have to do that once a week in a comic store. I would definitely hire help too though, I couldn't do it all by myself. My fantasy mainly involves selling comics and talking comics with the customers and reading comics or playing video games when things are slow. :lol:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.