Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

70's & 80's Batman TPB's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Re: 70's & 80's Batman TPB's

I prefer color, but some stuff would probably work well in b&w, like Batman or Hellblazer.

When DC was reprinting Moore and Bissette’s Swamp Thing as an Essential Vertigo title in black and white it looked fabulous. It was on that nice thick semigloss paper Vertigo was using at the time and it just popped off the page and the detail in Bissette and Totleiben’s art was something to behold. I’d really love to see a b&w omnibus of the run on simlar paper.
Old 03-17-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Bummer about this one (Showcase Vol 6) - that series is apparently in black & white. No color, no sale. (It's not like they were originally in black and white and colorized later on, these stories were intended to be seen in color.)
That is more or less how I feel. Black & white superhero comics just don't feel the same to me. I treat the Showcases as disposable reading material, but often look to give them away when I am done with them.
Old 03-18-19, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is more or less how I feel. Black & white superhero comics just don't feel the same to me. I treat the Showcases as disposable reading material, but often look to give them away when I am done with them.
Yeah, Stan Lee, John Romita, and Jim Mooney had a crazy idea to do a Spider-Man Film Noir on the printed page, and that was the late 60's Spectacular Spider-Man #1. The art looked amazing - the shading was beyond anything I've ever seen in comics (prior to this century). Romita and Mooney did a phenomenal job.

And even with that it just didn't look right for Spider-Man. It might work for Batman and a few other characters, but for Spider-Man it was a case of close, but no cigar. The art WAS fantastic, but it didn't fit Spider-Man

So take away the shading done just for black & white and what do you have? A lot of white with some black. No gray. No variance.

Comics intended to be in color just don't look right in black & white.

But that Specacular Spider-Man from the late 60's did look great, and the black & white (with lots of gray) was effective and dramatic - just not right for Spidey.
Old 04-04-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I now have all three of the Neal Adams Batman collections (in hardcover, Vol 3 came in last week), and I'm halfway through the 2nd volume. Great stuff!

And I just ordered the first Gerry Conway collection. I'm looking forward to reading that one, too.

I'll get the other two Gerry Conway collections soon. I'm really enjoying this era for Batman (late 60's to mid 80's).
Old 04-04-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, I love the re-coloring of the Neal Adams Batman books. They look great!

He re-colored Superman VS Muhammad Ali, too, and that looks great as well.
Old 05-16-19, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777

I believe you said in a past thread that you like BA B&B so you might like Batman and the Outsiders, also with Aparo art.
I am reading Vol 1 of Batman and the Outsiders now. I'm up through issue #7. That is a GREAT comic. Really good stories and fantastic art. Aparo inking his own pencils - I love it!

I just ordered Vol 2, and will get Vol 3 soon.
Old 05-16-19, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I am reading Vol 1 of Batman and the Outsiders now. I'm up through issue #7. That is a GREAT comic. Really good stories and fantastic art. Aparo inking his own pencils - I love it!

I just ordered Vol 2, and will get Vol 3 soon.
Nice I first read it in Showcase phonebook format and should revisit it now that I have a couple of the color digital volumes,