Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Shipping Oversized Treasury Editions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 651 Likes on 378 Posts
Shipping Oversized Treasury Editions

I've been casually selling off comics on Ebay, using cardboard or Gemini mailers to protect the books during shipment. But I'm looking at the pile of Treasury Editions and wondering what would be needed to ship them without the cost getting ridiculous. Anybody have any experience shipping (or receiving!) these? They're too large for normal envelope mailers.
Old 01-04-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts
Re: Shipping Oversized Treasury Editions

What about the cardboard shippers designed for LPs?
Old 01-04-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hadn't thought of those, but a quick check shows they're too small (12.5x12.5). The treasury books are 13.25.
Old 01-04-19, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

There are some Amazon boxes that are Treasury Edition size. I have used them and put cardboards on both size of the book to protect it when shipping. By the way, which Treasury books you are getting rid of? I'm looking for some to complete my collection.
Old 01-04-19, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood
There are some Amazon boxes that are Treasury Edition size. I have used them and put cardboards on both size of the book to protect it when shipping. By the way, which Treasury books you are getting rid of? I'm looking for some to complete my collection.
I'm finding actual shipping style boxes, but the price is more than I'm willing to pay (since minimum order is 50). I'll dig around on Amazon for more generic stuff.

Haven't made any decisions on what I'm selling yet. Mostly just planning ahead as I try to make space. Message me with what you're looking for and maybe we can work something out.
Old 01-04-19, 05:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

I’m looking to build a complete collection of every Treasury, and only have 30 or so now, so feel free to give me a list if you want to sell in bulk.
Old 01-06-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

All this talk of collecting Treasury editions has me interested in starting. I have thought about hunting down every 100-page giant.
Old 01-06-19, 06:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
All this talk of collecting Treasury editions has me interested in starting. I have thought about hunting down every 100-page giant.
I’m sort of also collecting all the digests and all the 100 pagers, but some of those romance 100 pagers are too pricey for me. I’ll either get lucky and find fair/poor affordable copies, or just always be incomplete.
Old 01-06-19, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts

I've sold a number of Treasury editions. Easiest way is to find a few large boxes. Break down the boxes and cut them apart at their folds so you have a bunch of pieces of cardboard. Using an exacto knife cut the cardboard pieces so that they are a little bit larger than the book. I usually use 5 to 6 pieces of sturdy cardboard pieces. Put the book into a plastic treasury size bag. Tape the bag to one of the cardboard pieces on 3 of the 4 sides (never the spine side). Let the tape wrap around from the bag and adhere it to the oposite side of the cardboard piece. Once secured, place a few more cut cardboard pieces on each side of the book. Then wrap tape on all 4 sides of that stack. Now place your stack in a 3-4 mil postal mailing type bag like they sell on Amazon. There's usually no ads in the Treasury editions so you can ship it Media Mail. It should weigh slighty over 1 pound so postage will be $3.17 if printed online until the price goes up this month. This is also the easiest way to ship regular comics as well, unless they are really expensive; then use a Priority Mail box. Also if you're shipping regular comics and don't want to spend the money on the Gemin mailers, Girl Scout cookie boxes can easily be cut to the style of a homemade Gemini in about 2 minutes.
Old 01-07-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru
I've sold a number of Treasury editions. Easiest way is to find a few large boxes. Break down the boxes and cut them apart at their folds so you have a bunch of pieces of cardboard. Using an exacto knife cut the cardboard pieces so that they are a little bit larger than the book. I usually use 5 to 6 pieces of sturdy cardboard pieces. Put the book into a plastic treasury size bag. Tape the bag to one of the cardboard pieces on 3 of the 4 sides (never the spine side). Let the tape wrap around from the bag and adhere it to the oposite side of the cardboard piece. Once secured, place a few more cut cardboard pieces on each side of the book. Then wrap tape on all 4 sides of that stack. Now place your stack in a 3-4 mil postal mailing type bag like they sell on Amazon. There's usually no ads in the Treasury editions so you can ship it Media Mail. It should weigh slighty over 1 pound so postage will be $3.17 if printed online until the price goes up this month. This is also the easiest way to ship regular comics as well, unless they are really expensive; then use a Priority Mail box. Also if you're shipping regular comics and don't want to spend the money on the Gemin mailers, Girl Scout cookie boxes can easily be cut to the style of a homemade Gemini in about 2 minutes.
I've made custom boxes before for large amounts of comics, but usually as protection within a regular shipping box. I'd try that if I only sell one or two - otherwise I'll check out the Amazon boxes that Red Hook suggested.
Old 01-09-19, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I save (hoard) all my Amazon and IST boxes for just this reason.

If you don't have access to those, I would follow movieguru's suggestion. Go to the liquor store and pick up some empty boxes and cut down and tape to size.