Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Grading Question (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 333 Likes on 203 Posts
Grading Question (with pictures)

I am thinking about getting these graded and encapsulated. Are they in good enough condition for that or should I just put them in a frame?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old 12-10-18, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts
Re: Grading Question (with pictures)

Without seeing the back cover or insides of each book I can say:

The Fangoria cover is in better shape than most of the magazines of this era and I think a good professional pressing will improve the grading. From the side, the pages look yellowish so I think you will probably get something between 7.0 to -8.5

For the Wolverine book, I see some spine color breaks and some rounded corners on the upper and bottom right side of the book. Graders tend to be more strict with this book, so going with the cover alone, it will probably get a 7.5 - 8.0.

Both books are worth grading if you improve their condition and get key people to sign it, for example, Frank Miller, Chris Claremont or Joe Rubinstein.
Old 12-10-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,985 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

For the Wolverine book, I see some spine color breaks and some rounded corners on the upper and bottom right side of the book. Graders tend to be more strict with this book, so going with the cover alone, it will probably get a 7.5 - 8.0.
Yeah, it’s probably in the lower VF range.

I am a little thrown off by the upper right corner, though. It’s an obvious printing defect where the cover wasn’t cut properly, and I’m never really sure how much to ding the final grade over stuff like that.

Some really minor spine marks, little stress around the staples, rounded corners.
Old 12-10-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Without seeing the back cover or insides of each book I can say:

The Fangoria cover is in better shape than most of the magazines of this era and I think a good professional pressing will improve the grading. From the side, the pages look yellowish so I think you will probably get something between 7.0 to -8.5

Both books are worth grading if you improve their condition and get key people to sign it, for example, Frank Miller, Chris Claremont or Joe Rubinstein.
Can you give a rough estimate for the 4 issue miniseries with a 7.0~8.5 grade?
Old 12-10-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We should have a sticky dedicated to grading books.

Also, scanning is the best way to see what the book actually looks like. Front and back. I know it isn't accurate as seeing the book in person but scanning brings out a lot of imperfections.
Old 12-10-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Is this just the 4 issues? If that's the case I have the other 3 somewhere...
Old 12-10-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts

As with the others, I see a good number of spine creases that break color and at the very least the top right corner looks a but rounded. The inner pages from what I can see appear to be yellowing. At best I would say a 7.5, but it's hard to tell with the picks. You can pick a graded 7.5 up for $30 to $50 on Ebay. By the time you pay to ship these to and from CGC and pay for grading you might exceed the price of buying another graded copy on Ebay.
Old 12-10-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,985 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Really, though, that Wolverine #1 would probably be sold as a NM from Mile High Comics or MyComicShop.(MCS’s grading seems to be random. The few times I’ve used them, I’ve ordered VG books that looked NM, and NM books with major defects that should have dropped them down to F or NF.)
Old 12-10-18, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Not too many 8.5 sold out there recently, but 8.0 CGC for issue #1 have gone from $29 to $83 during the past 2 months on eBay.

8.5 CGC for issue 2 have lows of $18.50 to a high of $43 (signed by Claremont). Issue #3 had a recent sale for $26 for an 8.5 CGC. Issue #4 CGC 8.5 sold for $26.50 last month.

A set of the 4 issue miniseries sold for $152 and it had issues varying CGC grade

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-1...0AAOSwXItb3dS7

As beloved as this series is, this 4 issue series is not that hard to find overall. What is hard to find is a complete set in NM/NM+ condition and even harder to find a NM Newsstand set (The books with the barcode in the corners instead of the Spidey logo.

One of the bad experiences I had as a kid was getting burned by an asshole dealer at a show who sold me a full set that according to him all issues were in NM condition. I paid $50 for the set and only 2 of the 4 issues were NM-, and the other 2 issues were in F condition. I'm still searching for higher grades but they don't come around easily in an affordable manner.
Old 12-11-18, 08:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Any comic book in better than VG condition is a crime against humanity.
Old 12-14-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

I'd guess the Wolverine is more like a 7, maybe 8-if-you-are-lucky grade. Spine wear and stress is a no-no for the higher grades. Are the pages crisp and clean inside?
Old 12-15-18, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'd guess the Wolverine is more like a 7, maybe 8-if-you-are-lucky grade. Spine wear and stress is a no-no for the higher grades. Are the pages crisp and clean inside?
I haven't taken it out of the bag for 25 years or so. I think it was a $10 book at the time. I will procure some cotton gloves and take some more pictures.