Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Question about comic book ad from 1965...

Old 11-09-18, 02:36 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,616
Question about comic book ad from 1965...

This ad for "Record Riot" appeared on the back of numerous Charlton comic books in 1965.






It lists 60 then-popular songs, which would never have sold in one batch for $2.98 if they were by the original artists (the Beatles, the Four Seasons, the Drifters, the Beach Boys, Dusty Springfield, Roger Miller, etc.).

What did people get if they bought this? One group doing all the songs? Several different cover bands? Instrumentals only?

Well, I googled "Record Riot comic book ad" and got this page:

http://leescomicrack.blogspot.com/20...cord-riot.html

And it takes forever for the writer, Lee, to get to the question of what the music sounds like and he doesn't fully answer my questions, but here's what he says:

Yikes. There are some adequate imitations in the mix, but quite a number are something less than same, with the Beatles, Beach Boys, and Rolling Stones numbers especially awful (it's a toss-up between Help Me Rhonda and Good Vibrations). Not bad at all are Surfin' Bird, Summer in the City (a tad under-produced, but what can we expect?), This Diamond Ring, and My Girl. Overall, lousy, but not as lousy as we might expect. (Faint praise, you say?)

So why did I hunt these down? Because I love sound-alikes--don't ask me why. I love all the tracks here--good, bad, and I-want-my-$3.49-back dreadful. Sound-alikes make up about 1/10 of my collection, so I guess I'd better like the things.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-09-18 at 02:45 PM.
Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 11-09-18, 02:38 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,870
Re: Question about comic book ad from 1965...

I'm almost positive it would be cover versions, possibly by some anonymous group doing all of them. That sort of thing was fairly common before the 1970s.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 11-09-18, 06:10 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,139
Re: Question about comic book ad from 1965...

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I'm almost positive it would be cover versions, possibly by some anonymous group doing all of them. That sort of thing was fairly common before the 1970s.
I found a few 8-track tapes in my mom's attic once with a bunch of covers of popular songs by unknown artists. I have no idea what they sound like 'cause my parents threw away the 8-track player ages ago.
mrhan is offline  
Old 11-09-18, 08:46 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,018
Re: Question about comic book ad from 1965...

Very likely covers by session musicians needing a paycheck. My understanding of music rights is that you have to get the artist's permission to use a song in a movie but you only have to pay royalties to have someone else do a cover. That's why so many movies use covers of Beatles songs.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 01:55 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,005
Re: Question about comic book ad from 1965...

I remember those compilation albums from the 70s and 80s by K-Tel, which went out of their way to let you know that all songs were recorded by the original artists.

In the above ad they are careful to only list the song titles and not the artists, though they never mention that they are covers by session musicians, so it’s still rather deceptive.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 06:53 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,577
Re: Question about comic book ad from 1965...

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Very likely covers by session musicians needing a paycheck. My understanding of music rights is that you have to get the artist's permission to use a song in a movie but you only have to pay royalties to have someone else do a cover. That's why so many movies use covers of Beatles songs.
You need permission to do a cover also. Before doing a cover you need to license the song from the publishers. Most artists form their own publishing company to control the licensing of their music. If the original artist is also the songwriter, the original artist could deny a license to record a cover if they want.
Once a cover is recorded, you need separate permission/license to use that cover version in a movie/tv show.

Permission is required to perform a song live also. When you see an artist do another artist's song live, there is nothing spontaneous/unplanned about it.
Prior to the tour, artists will contact the original artist and get their permission(obtain a license) beforehand.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 08:53 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,348
Re: Question about comic book ad from 1965...

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I remember those compilation albums from the 70s and 80s by K-Tel, which went out of their way to let you know that all songs were recorded by the original artists.

In the above ad they are careful to only list the song titles and not the artists, though they never mention that they are covers by session musicians, so itís still rather deceptive.
That was my idea too.

Also, I remember that there was a scam outfit who named their studio band The Original Artists.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 11-11-18, 02:54 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,870
Re: Question about comic book ad from 1965...

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
You need permission to do a cover also. Before doing a cover you need to license the song from the publishers. Most artists form their own publishing company to control the licensing of their music. If the original artist is also the songwriter, the original artist could deny a license to record a cover if they want.
Once a cover is recorded, you need separate permission/license to use that cover version in a movie/tv show.

Permission is required to perform a song live also. When you see an artist do another artist's song live, there is nothing spontaneous/unplanned about it.
Prior to the tour, artists will contact the original artist and get their permission(obtain a license) beforehand.
I believe anyone can cover a song without the songwriter's permission, but you aren't allowed to change the words at all in your cover version. They call it a mechanical song license. The original artist still gets paid for the cover, but doesn't have the power to block it.

https://www.harryfox.com/license_mus...l_license.html

What you aren't allowed to do without the artist's permission is directly sample a song, or copy the melody while using your own lyrics.
PhantomStranger is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.