Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Beloved Batman Artist Norm Breyfogle has died

Old 09-26-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Beloved Batman Artist Norm Breyfogle has died

R.I.P. iconic Batman artist Norm Breyfogle

William Hughes
Today 7:29pm

Beloved Batman artist Norm Breyfogle—whose shadow-clad version of the Dark Knight loomed over Gotham City for most of the 1990s—has died. Although he worked for both major comics companies over the course of his career (and also as an illustrator, poet, novelist, and more), Breyfogle is most closely associated with defining the look of Batman in a post-Frank Miller era, creating a version of the character that emphasized the lithe physical prowess and psychological torment underpinning the man beneath the cowl.

Born in Iowa, Breyfogle had already started drawing attention for his skills as a cartoonist before he was even out of high school. After working for a few years with smaller companies like First Comics during the 1980s, Breyfogle scored his first big gig in the late ’80s, teaming up with writer Alan Grant for a defining role on DC’s flagship title, Detective Comics. Breyfogle would spend the next decade bouncing around the various Bat books, including Batman itself (where he helped introduce the world to the Tim Drake version of Robin), and then to the darker Shadow Of The Bat, where his sneering, tormented Batman perfectly complemented Grant’s scripts.

Various comics artists, professionals, critics and fans have flooded onto social media over the last few days to share their favorite pieces of Breyfogle’s art and commemorate his life in the wake of his death, which occurred over the weekend. He had previously suffered a stroke in 2015, launching a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the exorbitant medical costs. He was 58.

https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-iconic...gle-1829347464

Really sad to hear this today. I grew up with his Batman art during the late 80's, early 90's. I wish I had the opportunity to meet him at a con but from what I've heard from people in the industry, the stroke that he suffered several years ago left him in a debilitated state.
Old 09-26-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Beloved Batman Artist Norm Breyfogle has died

RIP

I'm sorry to hear that that stroke left him debilitated.

I got into Batman comics when he was pencilling Detective.
Some great memories, his art and Alan Grant's stories.
I think my favorite was the "Tulpa" storyline. Not really a classic story for Batman, but that cover with this multi-armed creature about to slice Batman in half with an axe really grabbed my attention. The story and atmosphere itself was really creepy.
Anyway, Breyfogle really thrived when illustrating supernatural things.
"The Mud Pack" was great too.

Last edited by brayzie; 09-26-18 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Damn, that sucks. I met him about 13 years ago. A Batman head sketch from him was one of the first sketches in my sketchbook.

EDIT: Here’s the sketch.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 09-26-18 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aparo and Breyfogle were my definitive Batman artists.

I started reading the Bat books around the time the first movie came out, and they were doing Batman and Detective at the time. Their clean, conservative work defined DC Comics for me at the time, and I was surprised to learn that Breyfogle was only in his twenties at the time. Hey just seemed like they should have been doing those books.

And, yeah, “Tulpa”, “Mudpack”, and “Anarchy” — and Breyfogle’s run from about 580-620 of ‘tec was pretty great.
Old 09-27-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I hate to hear that. Next to John Byrne, he is my favorite comic book artist.
Old 09-27-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Breyfogle was after my time, but I've caught up on some of his stuff since. RIP.

Old 09-27-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A great Batman artist, his style fit Batman's world perfectly. Sad news, I was wondering how he was doing after that health incident a few years back.
Old 09-28-18, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, man, that sucks. One of the great Batman artists:

Old 10-02-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

58 is way too young. The 70s were my formative comic book years so Aparo is my favorite Batman artist. But by the late 80s I was working and had enough money to buy more titles. This included Norm's work on Whisper at First comics and I like him enough to follow him when he started working on Batman. Turned out he became one of my favorite Batman artists. My best to his family.