Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Donnie Cates - Is the hype warranted?

Old 08-16-18, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Donnie Cates - Is the hype warranted?

(Oops, the title should say "Donny" not "Donnie". Hee hee hee)

So, writer Donny Cates is seemingly sitting on top of the comic book world these days. Comic book geeks hang on his every word, his titles sell out faster than Trump voodoo dolls -- regularly going into 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings, and critics can't stop dropping enough superlatives when describing his genius.

His runs include Dr. Strange, Thanos, and currently Cosmic Ghost Rider, Death of the Inhumans and most notably Venom. So, are we seeing the sudden meteoric rise of a writer whose body of work will someday be mentioned in the same breath as Frank Miller, Alan Moore and other titans of the comic world, or is this a case of the Emperor has no clothes?

I admit to not being very familiar with his work. I've only read God Country, and I thought it was just okay. Solid stuff but nothing particularly special. However, this was the title that put people on notice that Cates was a talented, up-and-coming writer and it was probably instrumental in helping him land his current gig with Marvel.

Comic book geeks and speculators are infatuated with this guy. Just one mention from Cates' lips about a character from the past that might potentially make its way into one of his current titles can cause a long forgotten bargain bin issue to suddenly become highly sought after and skyrocket in value in mere days (see Thor: God of Thunder 6 and Dr. Strange: Sorcerer Supreme 44).

Case in point, just a single video on Youtube reporting that Cates' mentioned his love for Carnage: Mind Bomb can wipe Ebay out of all of those issues in less than half an hour. The power of Cates' words is undeniable.

So, what's the deal here? Is this guy a true writer-extraordinaire who is going to have a massive impact on the Marvel Universe as well as the comic collecting world? Or is he a run-of-the-mill, flash-in-the-pan showman, a fellow comic book geek who knows his audience well and plays them perfectly, riding the current nutzo wave of comic book speculation and feeding the frenzy with a deft combination of storytelling savvy and crafty marketing skills, all the while leading his devoted followers on a journey to nowhere? Is he all flash and no substance?

Of course, the hope is that he is a truly enormous talent who will pump some much needed life into the Marvel Universe and create seminal works that stand as classics of the form, such as Miller's Daredevil run or his Dark Knight or Moore's Watchmen. Is that too much to ask of him?
Old 08-16-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Donnie Cates - Is the hype warranted?

I really liked his Thanos run and so far I'm liking what he's doing with Venom. The Thanos run (and sub-sequent Cosmic Ghost Rider) are good because they give you a mostly alternate Marvel Universe similar to what Hulk Future Imperfect did. Since he wasn't attached to what's canon in the main Marvel U, he was able to explore and create without any restrictions. As for Venom, I like what he's doing because it's going far beyond of what we have ever seen from the Venom character. By making the symbiote's history the focus of the series, he has opened a new, unexplored door to the Marvel Universe without changing much of the current universe storylines. And un the plus side, similar to Venom's "first appearance" on Web of Spider-Man 18, Cates is using previous storylines from other books to tie in to the symbiote's origin.

As for speculation, of those books, it's all bullshit and not his fault at all. Collectors in the market are now trying to create new key issues and new variants and all of this is now even manipulated more by the Key Collector app and sites like Comic Book Invest. I foresee many of these "speculator" books dropping in price in the next year or so.
Old 08-16-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have heard good things about Cosmic Ghost Rider.
Old 08-16-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Short answer, yes.
Old 08-27-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty good article on the new Venom series by Cates

http://blog.gocollect.com/venom-fina...adable-series/
Old 08-31-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I keep hearing good things but he has yet to write anything I want to read.